Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
761 - 780 of 787 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
The requests must also meet simsub guidelines. Shaw can refuse to implement simsubs if they fall outside the guidelines. Automation determines which Shaw subscribers receive the simsub for each request. If a subscriber lives outside the simsub requirement area for a station then it is not required. (This differs from Bell Satellite's exemption to use a blanket simsub policy.) As noted, not enough monitoring is done to make sure the correct program is substituted and mistakes are often made when unannounced delays or schedule changes occur. Contacting TV provider or the station/network involved may get results when repeated mistakes are made, such as the incorrect substitution noted above occur.
I assume that Bell would not be simsubbing over NTV , because their technology would not allow a Maritime channel to play over a Newfoundland channel. Is it true that they can only simsub Ontario channels over US ones but not NL ones because of the time differences??

On Shaw Direct here in the Maritimes CITY Montreal is simsubbed over the same US shows. There are no CITY stations located in the Maritimes, so I must assume Shaw has an exemption to sub Montreal commercials in our regions.

·
Registered
249 Posts
SD is at it again. Poor simsubbing of NTV by Global Maritimes. All week NTV has Entertainment Tonight scheduled for 7 pm Atlantic and Shaw is subbing Global's Entertainment Tonight Canada ( a completely different show) over the NTV offering. It has been happening all week so I assume Shaw has a substitute simsubber working during the holidays. Very poor simsubbing of one Canadian channel over another!
I can escalate, thanks for flagging - just to confirm, you're on the "new" national channel lineup (NTV is on channel 112)? Do you mind PM'ing me your postal code or general region?

·
Registered
249 Posts
FYI - the teams have found that these subs were requested by the network(s), and while we figure out getting it sorted properly with them and the parties in the middle, our teams have put a manual stop on the sub. I believe it should take effect tonight, latest tomorrow.

·
Registered
630 Posts
SHAW TIME
Has anyone noticed that the time shown from Shaw Direct is late?
TV shows on various channels start recording up to 2 minutes after the show starts. This is not just a function of the recording starting late; the time from Shaw is late with LIVE shows.
Rectangle Font Display device Electronic device Technology

Jan 12, 2021 I took a photo of a live CNN show on my TV screen. I pressed the ENTER button on the Shaw remote and made the shot. Included in the photo is my ATOMIC™ clock next to the TV screen to show the accurate time 12:36:31 PM which does correspond with the CNN time box of 12:36 while SHAW displays 12:34.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
hmmm Can you call in/login for a receiver refresh. I'm curious now. I will check mine when I get home. I'm not aware of the time being off and recordings being off.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just checked my 800 and 630 receivers and there both the same as my iPhone , so I would try a receiver refresh.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
SHAW TIME
Has anyone noticed that the time shown from Shaw Direct is late?
TV shows on various channels start recording up to 2 minutes after the show starts. This is not just a function of the recording starting late; the time from Shaw is late with LIVE shows.
View attachment 12416
Jan 12, 2021 I took a photo of a live CNN show on my TV screen. I pressed the ENTER button on the Shaw remote and made the shot. Included in the photo is my ATOMIC™ clock next to the TV screen to show the accurate time 12:36:31 PM which does correspond with the CNN time box of 12:36 while SHAW displays 12:34.
Yes, I have noticed this as well. I usually reboot receivers once per month, which clears up time anomalies.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Yes, I have noticed this as well. I usually reboot receivers once per month, which clears up time anomalies.
I have pulled the plug for a reset and I called and got a refresh. Same problem with both the 830 and my 600. I think it depends on the program being carried. There are a number of satellite hops from the production source, intermediate links, Shaw Direct and my finally my TV, maybe that delay is the problem ???

·
Super Moderator
56,970 Posts
Unless the speed of light has been recently appealed, I believe you have another issue. Have you checked a different channel like CP24?

·
Registered
630 Posts
The time problem was unresolved until now due to “operator error” on my part. Just a few minutes ago I pulled the electrical power plug on the 830 and waited more time than I thought necessary. Now the time synchronization is working. I don't understand why that would work, but it did. Thanks to all.

·
Super Moderator
56,970 Posts
There are various stages of functionality that comes into play depending on what you do.

A warm reboot (using keypad functionality). This will often do the trick for most issues.

A short cold (unplugged) reboot which may not do anything differently because the internal memory can accommodate that.

A longer cold reboot (time unplugged) which resets more functions like the clock

A factory reset which is usually a last resort because that will typically delete all your favourites, scheduled programming and recordings.

Like a computer, it's usually a good idea to reboot once a month or so, so that the clock resynchs, etc.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Like a computer, it's usually a good idea to reboot once a month or so, so that the clock resynchs, etc.
This is the first I have heard of this. It was my mistaken understanding that the receiver used a Shaw Time Signal as its clock, not a stand-alone time keeping clock. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
10,164 Posts
Unless it's a Rogers Nextbox with Whole Home. Then it's closer to once a week or everything starts to go south. I envy Shaw Direct PVR owners with their more reliable hardware.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Lucky for me,and most people living in Nova Scotia; we get an automatic, unplugged reboot, about once a month thanks to Nova Scotia Power, and climate change. 😀

·
Super Moderator
56,970 Posts
I always recommend to connect a PVR to a UPS. This will provide protection for most surges, as well as HDD head crashes when the power fails when the HDD is in use recording or playing. It will also keep recording for several hours depending on the size of the UPS and other things connected to the battery side of that UPS.

·
Registered
10,164 Posts
I agree. Even small power blips can cause recording interruptions or, worse, equipment failure. Most PVRs and other modern equipment use switching power supplies and tolerate UPS power very well.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Case in point.,,,just came off a 14 hour power outage in NS, due to high winds and heavy snow. Luckily, we have a whole house Generac Generator which brings the power back in about 5 seconds. In the meanwhile I have a very good surge protector for my PVR and TV. The UPS power also sounds like a good idea. Thanks

761 - 780 of 787 Posts