Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
741 - 760 of 789 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Maybe I'll set up both my 630s to record next Sunday night to see if they both get drops. My 605 has the longest cable run with about 50' of RG6 that I installed and 25' of RG59 because that's what was in the wall when we bought the place. It's never been an issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Those are good numbers Joe , I doubt you could get better.
It might of been a one off when you did your recording, if you continue to have an issue you might need to look into it further.
Interference from such things as Microwave ovens when there been used is a common one.
Poorly grounded Dish is another common one, you can end up with a ground loop which causes all kinds of issues with electronics. Also check the condition of the coaxial cable to the Dish , your looking for signs that water might be getting into the cable or the connection to the LNB on the dish.
Next time your getting a issue see what your signal strength is and see if it’s changing much.
Moisture in the Satellite coaxial cable will give you intermittent issues and outside coaxial cable can take a beating over time with the elements.
Part of the problem Anik F2 at end of life

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think if was the Satellite it would effect everyone one watching those channels ,
I don‘t get any issues with those channels, but then I don’t watch them very often.
Your right about the aging Anik F2 , I have not heard any news about a replacement.
Personally I think it’s such waist of Satellite bandwidth having to carry every local station across the country
only to show local news and everything in Prime time is the same on all the networks.
From reading another thread on here , another source of interference could be LED lights.
Someone suggested using a portable AM radio to trace the source in and around the house of RF interference.
I’ve never tried it myself, but it would pick up really noisy sources although it would have to throwing out harmonic frequency‘s well up into the range of 12 - 18 GHz for the Ku Satellite range.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I tuned a portable radio to an unused AM broadcast frequency and held it near lamps and devices in the room in which we have the 830 and TV set. One of the 3 LED lamps makes noise on the radio when it is placed just a few inches from the lamp. What really makes a buzz is the TV set itself – by a lot.

I think the problems with my 830 is actually the 830 itself, but I am not willing to get a warranty replacement. I have shows on the PVR that I don't want to lose. Since the problems are not reproducible on demand, I don't want to jump thru hoops with Shaw.

·
Registered
50 Posts
CNN Ch 258 - slow to load. Only CNN. 605 box.
Intermittent problem for the last week. Frequently CNN will show black screen for many seconds - sometimes will show 'Not Subscribed' message. Signal strength is good.
Sometimes loads immediately, sometimes takes 2 to 3 seconds, sometimes takes a minute or more.
When 'Not subscribed' message shown. and I go into the hardward status, line B shows Not Subscribed - then it changes to Subscribed, and the screen loads.
Tried tuning to CNN from various other channels in case it was to do with switching satelites or transponders. No noticeable pattern.
Tried a refresh, but behaviour continues.

Anyone else seeing this?

John

·
Registered
483 Posts
Intermittent problem for the last week. Frequently CNN will show black screen for many seconds - sometimes will show 'Not Subscribed' message. Signal strength is good.
Sometimes loads immediately, sometimes takes 2 to 3 seconds, sometimes takes a minute or more.
When 'Not subscribed' message shown. and I go into the hardward status, line B shows Not Subscribed - then it changes to Subscribed, and the screen loads.
Tried tuning to CNN from various other channels in case it was to do with switching satelites or transponders. No noticeable pattern.

Anyone else seeing this?

John
Yes, for over a week now. Another case of transponders giving up the ghost?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts

Anyone else seeing this?

John
So that’s what’s happening? Happened to me today to all U.S. news channels, then it fixed itself by changing channels

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I don't watch any of the US news channels as much as I used to but I have observed this odd behaviour with CNN. Changing the channel or moving up or down usually fixes it. Although once in the last couple of days I believe moving up didn't fix it but moving down a channel going back did fix it. Something odd is going with authorizations on those channels.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I don't watch any of the US news channels as much as I used to but I have observed this odd behaviour with CNN. Changing the channel or moving up or down usually fixes it. Although once in the last couple of days I believe moving up didn't fix it but moving down a channel going back did fix it. Something odd is going with authorizations on those channels.
Do you know if there is a current list which shows the channels going to G1 next, and when?
thanks

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
The main source of information is the Shaw Broadcast website. At this time they have not released any more plans to move channels to G1.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
SD is at it again. Poor simsubbing of NTV by Global Maritimes. All week NTV has Entertainment Tonight scheduled for 7 pm Atlantic and Shaw is subbing Global's Entertainment Tonight Canada ( a completely different show) over the NTV offering. It has been happening all week so I assume Shaw has a substitute simsubber working during the holidays. Very poor simsubbing of one Canadian channel over another!

·
Super Moderator
19,093 Posts
SD is at it again. Poor simsubbing of NTV by Global Maritimes.
Here is a brief explanation of the simsub process that I posted in "Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada," since NTV is on G1 and not available in the South. The discussion started a few pages earlier.
All the OTA stations send their simsub requests to a third party clearing house that coordinates all the programs to make sure there are no conflicts and distributes the simsub schedule to all the cable and satellite companies. This is especially important during primetime where U.S. networks schedule some of their most popular programs to run an extra minute to keep viewers from switching channels. Sometimes the subsequent programs are on different Canadian networks.

Terrestrial services like cable and IPTV substitute the channel on a city-by-city basis at the head-end. Shaw Direct simulates the process by performing a virtual channel override based on the service address of the receiver, so each city gets their own local ads.
As you can see, Shaw Direct is not responsible for deciding which program is substituted, They receive the substitution requests and are REQUIRED to implement them. The actual substitution is automated at the TV providers and is only monitored for live events like sports and award shows.

You can file a complaint with the CRTC at Support Centre | CRTC (TV > Programming > Signal substitution) and they will follow up with the appropriate party. The topic Seeing Canadian Commercials on American channels | CRTC also mentions "Sometimes, a Canadian signal from outside your area is replaced with a local signal."

·
Registered
10,167 Posts
Shaw Direct is not responsible for deciding which program is substituted, They receive the substitution requests and are REQUIRED to implement them.
The requests must also meet simsub guidelines. Shaw can refuse to implement simsubs if they fall outside the guidelines. Automation determines which Shaw subscribers receive the simsub for each request. If a subscriber lives outside the simsub requirement area for a station then it is not required. (This differs from Bell Satellite's exemption to use a blanket simsub policy.) As noted, not enough monitoring is done to make sure the correct program is substituted and mistakes are often made when unannounced delays or schedule changes occur. Contacting TV provider or the station/network involved may get results when repeated mistakes are made, such as the incorrect substitution noted above occur.

·
Super Moderator
19,093 Posts
The CRTC updated their simsub policies a few years ago to minimize the number of simsub errors and has implemented penalties for repeated errors. For example, Global could lose the ability to simsub NTV for a period of time if they make repeated errors, but that can only happen if the CRTC is aware of the errors.

The organizations involved have also implemented a real-time communication system as a result of the CRTC review to monitor weather delays and schedule overruns for sports broadcasts and other last-minute schedule changes.

·
Registered
10,167 Posts
I'd have to agree that great improvements have taken place over the last 20 years. Early HD simsubs were especially brutal.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
As you can see, Shaw Direct is not responsible for deciding which program is substituted, They receive the substitution requests and are REQUIRED to implement them.
Since Shaw owns Global outright, I'll hold them responsible.

·
Super Moderator
19,093 Posts
Since Shaw owns Global outright, I'll hold them responsible.
Shaw needed money to pay for the acquisition of Wind Mobile, so they sold Global and the other Shaw Media channels to Corus in 2016. If my understanding is correct, all the providers outside of Newfoundland would have had the same simsub errors, not just Shaw Direct.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
They have common major shareholders (The Shaw family), but legally separate companies. The CRTC at this time considers them as one group for regulatory purposes.

·
Super Moderator
19,093 Posts
The Shaw Family Trust controls Corus through majority ownership of about 3.4 million Voting Shares. There are over 200 million Non-Voting Shares that are owned by the general public, so the Shaw Family's control is based on less that 2% of the shares. The Shaw Family Trust controls Shaw Communications in a similar manner, so the CRTC considers them one entity for certain regulatory practices. For example, Shaw Direct couldn't give preference to Corus channels over other channels. However, the CRTC wouldn't penalize Shaw Direct for simsub errors made by Global TV.

741 - 760 of 789 Posts