Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

741 - 744 of 744 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Maybe I'll set up both my 630s to record next Sunday night to see if they both get drops. My 605 has the longest cable run with about 50' of RG6 that I installed and 25' of RG59 because that's what was in the wall when we bought the place. It's never been an issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Those are good numbers Joe , I doubt you could get better.
It might of been a one off when you did your recording, if you continue to have an issue you might need to look into it further.
Interference from such things as Microwave ovens when there been used is a common one.
Poorly grounded Dish is another common one, you can end up with a ground loop which causes all kinds of issues with electronics. Also check the condition of the coaxial cable to the Dish , your looking for signs that water might be getting into the cable or the connection to the LNB on the dish.
Next time your getting a issue see what your signal strength is and see if it’s changing much.
Moisture in the Satellite coaxial cable will give you intermittent issues and outside coaxial cable can take a beating over time with the elements.
Part of the problem Anik F2 at end of life

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think if was the Satellite it would effect everyone one watching those channels ,
I don‘t get any issues with those channels, but then I don’t watch them very often.
Your right about the aging Anik F2 , I have not heard any news about a replacement.
Personally I think it’s such waist of Satellite bandwidth having to carry every local station across the country
only to show local news and everything in Prime time is the same on all the networks.
From reading another thread on here , another source of interference could be LED lights.
Someone suggested using a portable AM radio to trace the source in and around the house of RF interference.
I’ve never tried it myself, but it would pick up really noisy sources although it would have to throwing out harmonic frequency‘s well up into the range of 12 - 18 GHz for the Ku Satellite range.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I tuned a portable radio to an unused AM broadcast frequency and held it near lamps and devices in the room in which we have the 830 and TV set. One of the 3 LED lamps makes noise on the radio when it is placed just a few inches from the lamp. What really makes a buzz is the TV set itself – by a lot.

I think the problems with my 830 is actually the 830 itself, but I am not willing to get a warranty replacement. I have shows on the PVR that I don't want to lose. Since the problems are not reproducible on demand, I don't want to jump thru hoops with Shaw.

741 - 744 of 744 Posts