Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

721 - 740 of 744 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
While watching a recording of "Vera" from PBS Seattle, ~25 minutes in, the recording stopped and the screen went to PVR List. Numerous tries could not get the show going more than a few minutes in. Same result after doing a panel reset. I hope it was one-off recording problem. I really would hate to ask for a refurb.
This happens to me when a CDN network substitution is either placed or pulled from the American channel. The only way around it is to FF one minute past the sub point. But PBS? They rarely have subs placed on the, so this is odd.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
This was likely due to the incredible snow storm Calgary was dealing with at the time - crazy winds and snow squall.
Is it snowing again in Calgary, because TSN channels (all), Discover Velocity AND CBC News all acting up again as of this weekend. Constant disruption of signal, messing up recordings. Both DSR605’s and 630’s suffering. Will it ever stop? Snowing? Am I the only one seeing this....

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Apparently I’m the only one with complaints. STILL having disruptions with CBC News, CNN, Sportsnets, TSN’s and Doscovery Velocity. Audio & Video dropouts several several times every hour, if not every minute. Strangely, nobody else seems to notice this. Also of note, my signal is as strong on these bad channels as it is on the channels with no disruptions. 😱
Any other idea on what I can try?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Your comments make me think bad multiswitch?
Thanks. I may have a spare to swap in and try. It made sense that it was Shaw when only Transponder 5 was the culprit, but now the disruptions are spread over three transponders...

·
Registered
480 Posts
You can't get CBC on Roku. For reasons known only to them, the 'Mothercorp' has not made the Gem app available for Roku and - according to the "form letter" responses I received when I questioned why they weren't making one for it when they DO support less popular platforms - they have no plans to do so... :(

To make matters worse, the ever-greedy Bell/BCE monolith has now placed their CTV newscasts, which used to stream for free, behind a paywall - IMO, it should be a condition of license that newscasts be freely available on ALL platforms!
I haven't been following this thread, so forgive me if this has been mentioned before. I have a Roku and it does not get CBC or CTV, but I recently got a tweaked Firestick with a ton of channel apps, and I am now one step closer to leaving Shaw because I get many Canadian news apps. Some of them are the wrong aspect ratio (as in stretched wide), but some are not. And there are, for example, CBC news channels for every major city. I haven't mapped them all out yet (wading through channels with no onscreen guide is quite the trip), but I'm glad to know we are getting there. None of the apps are illegal; just fall in that grey area, I guess.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I haven't been following this thread, so forgive me if this has been mentioned before. I have a Roku and it does not get CBC or CTV, but I recently got a tweaked Firestick with a ton of channel apps, and I am now one step closer to leaving Shaw because I get many Canadian news apps. Some of them are the wrong aspect ratio (as in stretched wide), but some are not. And there are, for example, CBC news channels for every major city. I haven't mapped them all out yet (wading through channels with no onscreen guide is quite the trip), but I'm glad to know we are getting there. None of the apps are illegal; just fall in that grey area, I guess.
Pretty sure there's a CBC News app for Apple TV now, which is quite good - aka The National, Fifth Estate, Passionate Eye, etc.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Solar flare activity?

Last evening, my wife was watching History of Late Night on CNN for a couple of hours and every minute or two, the picture and sound would drop.
I was watching Knowledge Network and was having a similar issue - the picture would freeze and the sound would drop, and then it would jump ahead and resume.

Looked like buffering problems. Signal strength was good.

My understanding is that these two channels are on different satellites (CNN on old A2, and Knowledge is on new G1) so should not be satellite problems.

Was it solar flares? Anyone have these issues.

John

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Anyone have these issues.
For the last 20 years. There are thousands of complaints about audio and video dropouts with Shaw Direct HD channels on various forums. It's not just Shaw Direct but it seems to be the worst and the source of dropouts on other TV service providers seem to often be on feeds that originate with Shaw Direct.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Solar flare activity?

Last evening, my wife was watching History of Late Night on CNN for a couple of hours and every minute or two, the picture and sound would drop.
I was watching Knowledge Network and was having a similar issue - the picture would freeze and the sound would drop, and then it would jump ahead and resume.

Looked like buffering problems. Signal strength was good.

My understanding is that these two channels are on different satellites (CNN on old A2, and Knowledge is on new G1) so should not be satellite problems.

Was it solar flares? Anyone have these issues.

John
For the last six months, ALL TSN channels, CNN, CBC News Net, Discovery Velocity and quote often, Sportsnet channels have continually been suffering from this. I’ve been told everything from the satellite transponders are going bad to my multiswitch is bad.
Amasingly, the day the IIHF World Hockey Championships began on TSN last week, all the problems of the last three months stopped.
You tell me what’s going on, because I’ve given up trying to figure it out.
I record CNN Late Night series, so I’ll check my recording tonight...

·
Registered
613 Posts
CNN dropping audio has been good lately. I still have the problem of sporadic pauses of 10 seconds or so when I skip back on any recording. Before resuming normally, the video stutters. I believe that this is an audio/video synchronization problem. This happens once in a while, but will recover normal operation. Mostly just an annoyance.

I think my 830 is now getting more wacky. SOMETIMES while watching a recording and skipping back 1 minute, the program will go back many minutes or just go to the screen listing PVR recordings.

Clicking RESUME from that list screen will go to the recording and immediately return to the PVR list or go back many minutes from the point of RESUME. Click WATCH from the beginning and FF to a few minutes before that exact time point when there was a problem will either allow normal activity or go back to the PVR list screen when the recording gets to that time point.

These problems are not repeatable on demand. Resetting the PVR by the panel does not help these sporadic problems. I wonder if this is an Audio Video synchronization problem in the chipset or hard drive.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I was watching a recording of the History of Late Night from CNN last night. It was the worst non-weather-related recording I've ever had. It would drop out (black, no sound) for a couple of seconds every 15-20 seconds. Recorded this on CH258 from midnight Sunday (I think).

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I was watching a recording of the History of Late Night from CNN last night. It was the worst non-weather-related recording I've ever had. It would drop out (black, no sound) for a couple of seconds every 15-20 seconds. Recorded this on CH258 from midnight Sunday (I think).
Apparently NOBODY at Shaw can see this phenomena. It’s like they work in radio....

·
Registered
137 Posts
The drop outs can be frustrating to fix , I would get them the odd time.
I learned from my Brother in-law who used Shaw Direct with a portable dish tripod while Traveling with His RV that the Skew adjustment on the Dish made a small gain in signal strength and made a big difference in drop outs.
Since I adjusted the Skew on my home dish I’ve never had them again.
Hope this might help you , I would suggest getting Shaw Direct installer to look into it for you.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Those are good numbers Joe , I doubt you could get better.
It might of been a one off when you did your recording, if you continue to have an issue you might need to look into it further.
Interference from such things as Microwave ovens when there been used is a common one.
Poorly grounded Dish is another common one, you can end up with a ground loop which causes all kinds of issues with electronics. Also check the condition of the coaxial cable to the Dish , your looking for signs that water might be getting into the cable or the connection to the LNB on the dish.
Next time your getting a issue see what your signal strength is and see if it’s changing much.
Moisture in the Satellite coaxial cable will give you intermittent issues and outside coaxial cable can take a beating over time with the elements.
My 258 signal strength is 97, EcbNo: 8.7dB. Can it be better with a skew tweak?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Those are good numbers Joe , I doubt you could get better.
It might of been a one off when you did your recording, if you continue to have an issue you might need to look into it further.
Interference from such things as Microwave ovens when there been used is a common one.
Poorly grounded Dish is another common one, you can end up with a ground loop which causes all kinds of issues with electronics. Also check the condition of the coaxial cable to the Dish , your looking for signs that water might be getting into the cable or the connection to the LNB on the dish.
Next time your getting a issue see what your signal strength is and see if it’s changing much.
Moisture in the Satellite coaxial cable will give you intermittent issues and outside coaxial cable can take a beating over time with the elements.
Old coax is likely my problem. Cables have been installed now for 20 years, and are 50’ runs. Still strange it only effexits the same group of channels though...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Installed many over the years, drop outs is cabling or bad connections 99 percent of the time. Most often it is bad ends. Unless the cables got damaged, I have seen some instances where a staple was in the cable, check it all out.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Installed many over the years, drop outs is cabling or bad connections 99 percent of the time. Most often it is bad ends. Unless the cables got damaged, I have seen some instances where a staple was in the cable, check it all out.
I made all my cables so I know they're perfect :) I used those twist on ends and RG59 cable.

JK. They're all RG6 with compression fittings. The only connectors outside are in the shroud beneath the LNB. Water can get anywhere, but it'd have to try hard to get in there. All the other connections are indoors.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Do all your receivers get the drop out ? You could also try switching the cables around on the LNB , sometimes a receiver can be finicky ;)

721 - 740 of 744 Posts