Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

701 - 710 of 710 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
... f you want news get something like a Roku that has apps then you can watch CBC and others.
You can't get CBC on Roku. For reasons known only to them, the 'Mothercorp' has not made the Gem app available for Roku and - according to the "form letter" responses I received when I questioned why they weren't making one for it when they DO support less popular platforms - they have no plans to do so... :(

To make matters worse, the ever-greedy Bell/BCE monolith has now placed their CTV newscasts, which used to stream for free, behind a paywall - IMO, it should be a condition of license that newscasts be freely available on ALL platforms!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
That's a good point @CodyG102 , even though Bell will argue that CTV news-people have to be paid, they certainly have tons of advertisers during their news broadcasts. One would think that the advertisers themselves would ask CTV to make their ads as assessable as possible, by making them available on all platforms..

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Totally agree. All broadcasters should have to supply at least one, 30 minute, commercial-free newscast per day as a condition of license. Global, CTV, CBC & CityTV. Why ‘commercial-free’? Because, as is the case in the U.S. (and Canada to a lesser degree), can you really believe healthcare, automobile-safety and contaminated food stories when Phizer, GM and McDonalds are funding the newscast?

·
Registered
443 Posts
You can't get CBC on Roku. For reasons known only to them, the 'Mothercorp' has not made the Gem app available for Roku and - according to the "form letter" responses I received when I questioned why they weren't making one for it when they DO support less popular platforms - they have no plans to do so... :(

To make matters worse, the ever-greedy Bell/BCE monolith has now placed their CTV newscasts, which used to stream for free, behind a paywall - IMO, it should be a condition of license that newscasts be freely available on ALL platform
I just watched CTV news at 6 from CTV Calgary. It's not behind any firewall.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I just watched CTV news at 6 from CTV Calgary. It's not behind any firewall.
@mellaby If you read @tvmaster post carefully, he did not say "firewall" but "paywall".

As for broadcasters being required to supply a newscast every day, I agree 100%. I would go even further and say Canadian citizens travelling outside the country should have access to their full satellite service either directly if the signal reaches their location or via IPTV. This already exists in Europe and other areas of the world.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
@mellaby If you read @tvmaster post carefully, he did not say "firewall" but "paywall".

As for broadcasters being required to supply a newscast every day, I agree 100%. I would go even further and say Canadian citizens travelling outside the country should have access to their full satellite service either directly if the signal reaches their location or via IPTV. This already exists in Europe and other areas of the world.
Maybe copyright holders wouldn't allow that, as JaperJoe states, but if news channels like CBC NewNet and CTV News Channel could be allowed and The Weather Network( to name just 3); they shouldn't break any copyright laws.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts

Didn’t say ‘paywall’, said ‘commercial-free’. You may still have to pay to view, but the news program shouldn’t be beholding to anyone’s influence besides their own?

701 - 710 of 710 Posts