Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

701 - 720 of 744 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
... f you want news get something like a Roku that has apps then you can watch CBC and others.
You can't get CBC on Roku. For reasons known only to them, the 'Mothercorp' has not made the Gem app available for Roku and - according to the "form letter" responses I received when I questioned why they weren't making one for it when they DO support less popular platforms - they have no plans to do so... :(

To make matters worse, the ever-greedy Bell/BCE monolith has now placed their CTV newscasts, which used to stream for free, behind a paywall - IMO, it should be a condition of license that newscasts be freely available on ALL platforms!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
That's a good point @CodyG102 , even though Bell will argue that CTV news-people have to be paid, they certainly have tons of advertisers during their news broadcasts. One would think that the advertisers themselves would ask CTV to make their ads as assessable as possible, by making them available on all platforms..

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Totally agree. All broadcasters should have to supply at least one, 30 minute, commercial-free newscast per day as a condition of license. Global, CTV, CBC & CityTV. Why ‘commercial-free’? Because, as is the case in the U.S. (and Canada to a lesser degree), can you really believe healthcare, automobile-safety and contaminated food stories when Phizer, GM and McDonalds are funding the newscast?

·
Registered
445 Posts
You can't get CBC on Roku. For reasons known only to them, the 'Mothercorp' has not made the Gem app available for Roku and - according to the "form letter" responses I received when I questioned why they weren't making one for it when they DO support less popular platforms - they have no plans to do so... :(

To make matters worse, the ever-greedy Bell/BCE monolith has now placed their CTV newscasts, which used to stream for free, behind a paywall - IMO, it should be a condition of license that newscasts be freely available on ALL platform
I just watched CTV news at 6 from CTV Calgary. It's not behind any firewall.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I just watched CTV news at 6 from CTV Calgary. It's not behind any firewall.
@mellaby If you read @tvmaster post carefully, he did not say "firewall" but "paywall".

As for broadcasters being required to supply a newscast every day, I agree 100%. I would go even further and say Canadian citizens travelling outside the country should have access to their full satellite service either directly if the signal reaches their location or via IPTV. This already exists in Europe and other areas of the world.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
@mellaby If you read @tvmaster post carefully, he did not say "firewall" but "paywall".

As for broadcasters being required to supply a newscast every day, I agree 100%. I would go even further and say Canadian citizens travelling outside the country should have access to their full satellite service either directly if the signal reaches their location or via IPTV. This already exists in Europe and other areas of the world.
Maybe copyright holders wouldn't allow that, as JaperJoe states, but if news channels like CBC NewNet and CTV News Channel could be allowed and The Weather Network( to name just 3); they shouldn't break any copyright laws.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts

Didn’t say ‘paywall’, said ‘commercial-free’. You may still have to pay to view, but the news program shouldn’t be beholding to anyone’s influence besides their own?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Dropouts - pixilation - ruined recordings: THEY'RE BACK! The standard channels being continually disrupted again - ALL the TSN channels, Discovery Velocity, etc. Seems like every five seconds there's a blip in transmission.
There's a point where you start thinking the extra $30 you're spending for these channels just isn't worth it anymore.
Anyone from Shaw actually watching these channels? My goodness - when I worked in master control at Rogers we did channel scans every 30 minutes.
Shaw doesn't seem to have anyone scanning channels at all, and if they are, it's at the uplink site, not the downlink site.
Get it together, Shaw.
Here, I'll get you started: it appears to be TRANSPONDER 5: Shaw Direct on Anik F2 at 111.1°W - LyngSat

·
Registered
613 Posts
We have an 830. We watch CNN mostly. Every so often the sound goes away. I wonder if the audio/video synchronization signal sent from CNN is disrupted somewhere along the line or even in the 830. We have not observed that on other channels when we test other channels during a no-audio CNN.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
We have an 830. We watch CNN mostly. Every so often the sound goes away. I wonder if the audio/video synchronization signal sent from CNN is disrupted somewhere along the line or even in the 830. We have not observed that on other channels when we test other channels during a no-audio CNN.
So you don't see any disruptions on any TSN or Discovery Velocity channels? For me it's all day long

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
It looks like somebody may be reading, just not commenting, because yesterday, all my Discovery Velocity and TSN recordings were unaffected by signal disruption of Transponder 5. Makes me wonder if Shaw is playing around with power level settings to save a few bucks...

·
Registered
229 Posts
It looks like somebody may be reading, just not commenting, because yesterday, all my Discovery Velocity and TSN recordings were unaffected by signal disruption of Transponder 5. Makes me wonder if Shaw is playing around with power level settings to save a few bucks...
This was likely due to the incredible snow storm Calgary was dealing with at the time - crazy winds and snow squall.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Some good news, we have not seen a Closed Caption small black rectangle with white writing in the middle of the screen recently while NOT on CC.

A quarter of the time, the 830 still goes without audio for ~5-10 seconds before resuming normal A/V after tabbing back 30 seconds while viewing a recording.

Is a firmware upgrade expected in the near future?

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have an 830 and a 600. We have both the 830 and 600 on CNN. CNN lost audio on the 830, but not the 600. Changing 830 channels and going back to CNN often fixes the problem, but not today. Only CNN. After doing a panel reset, the audio came back on CNN. I expect an all-channels audio problem when switch channels when CNN goes wonky.

Strange... Will anyone venture a guess as to why all channels do not lose audio while only CNN loses audio?

So strange our other channels that we record (The Networks) have never had a problem, except when we skip back or forward which causes about a 5 second loss of audio, then a screen jitter and all is well.

So far this is just an annoyance, not worth my trouble to go thru the hoops with an SD tech, get a refurbished 830 and lose my recordings. Does Shaw Direct have a design or firmware problem with the model 830 or is it just my unit - or ????

·
Registered
613 Posts
While watching a recording of "Vera" from PBS Seattle, ~25 minutes in, the recording stopped and the screen went to PVR List. Numerous tries could not get the show going more than a few minutes in. Same result after doing a panel reset. I hope it was one-off recording problem. I really would hate to ask for a refurb.

701 - 720 of 744 Posts