Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

681 - 700 of 710 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
It is hard to understand the continual twice per year increases in subscription.. August 1st and now an April 1st increase. This works out to about 12% in 7-months. They are making it hard to continue subscribing! If I did not have an RV at the lake I would of dumped SD a long time ago!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Shaw has gotten to a point that in order to continue getting the same revenue they have no choice but to increase prices because they are losing more and more subs and the content is just not there anymore to attract new customers and of course the price is just too high.
I dont think Shaw Direct will be relevant in five years.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I don't think they will have too much to worry about until streaming TV is viable for everyone, AND it doesn't cost an arm and a leg (as it is shaping up to now), AND we can all get live news feeds. Right now, the technology is whacko and unreliable, and much of it is not legal; the hardware is as inconsistent as the software, and it's too damned hard to use for many folks. On top of that, Canada's insane CRTC laws about download caps, coupled with telco greed, is a huge blockage. Ironic that companies like Rogers and Bell are among the worst offenders.

·
Registered
104 Posts
But is rural Canada enough to sustain Shaw Direct let alone with another provider Bell especially considering the rate and the amount of the increases that they are spewing out every year?

Xplornet as bad as it is is making inroads into rural areas with their wireless/satellite internet.

·
Registered
465 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I just had two people I know who were long-time Xplornet customers dump it for Bell. Lousy speed and no support. They’re rural.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
According to their 2018 Annual Report, they aren't in trouble yet. Refer to pages 48 and 49. 4th Q of 2018, NET income increased by $291 million. All a lot of creative bookkeeping, but still...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=2ahUKEwiXw6jmg8PoAhVRM6wKHXDTDikQFjABegQIPhAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fshaw.ca%2FuploadedFiles%2FCorporate%2FInvestors%2FFinancial_Reports%2F634996_Shaw_AnnualReport_PRINT.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3j_C5CDtqnZOp2i2xRVbSX
Sure, they are not in trouble yet. Multiply the number of subscribers by the total of two price increases in one year.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Family JR (channel 353 on the National Lineup) isn't working for us this morning. Signal is good, just a black screen on all of our receivers when we tune to it.

I called Shaw Direct to ask about it, and they have no way to tune and check channels on their end. They seem to have a list of channels on an "outage" list, and that's the only way they can tell if a channel is out.

I went through troubleshooting with one rep (unplug, replug receiver, sent a refresh, etc). They said they would check with their team and call be back in about 15 minutes. They called me back, and did some of the same troubleshooting again. Then they transferred me to a different person.

New person had me check signal strength (all good), and other channels for outages (nothing else was out). They eventually said they were going to give the info to their superiors to look into, and hopefully the channel would come back within a few hours.

I spent about an hour going through all of the support steps just because they don't have any system in place to actually check if a channel is out.

Ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Finally leaving Shaw Direct. I stayed on mostly because I had an RV unit and used the system for HAFH despite the fact that they shelved it but how would they know? These multiple price increases over the course of a year are outrageous and as far as I am concerned, they have priced themselves out of the market. They are quit stingy when it comes to negotiating annual discounts. I am moving to Telus with whole house PVR and a slew of other features that Shaw Direct does not have. The fact that Telus now includes a subscription with Netflix (paid by Telus) at an extremely reasonable price coupled with a guaranteed price for two years made it a no-brainer. Shaw Direct is likely still the best choice if you are in the rural market and they have a captive subscriber base there. I see in the 2019 annual report, Shaw Direct was down almost 50,000 customers and now has a customer base of just over 700,000. I'm sure that they will continue to bleed customers. I doubt that their equipment will improve as it does not make sense to invest in improvements with a dwindling subscriber base.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I`m getting ripped off large from from Shaw Direct . All the sports channels & I`m watching old baseball , hockey and other old sports. Some other specialty channels are playing shows that are 14 years old and labeling them New. I would love to cut it off but have no other options. I`m in a rural area with no real OTA options. You can`t get news , network or specialty channels on Netflix. I`m stuck with getting ripped off. And the bill keeps going up. Maybe a letter to the CRTC? Good Luck! Thanks for the rant.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
@HenryWiggers you realize you are complaining about the content and ShawDirect is provider. TSN hasn't stopped charging ShawDIrect for their signals. Sports has come to a standstill and there is little new content. If you don't like what is being offered right now put on a vacation hold. As to the new label, that is up to the channels providing the correct information to the guide companies, again outside of ShawDirect's control. Go outside for a a change and good luck with your CRTC letter, in the current situation you might as well rant at the clouds. It will get you the same results.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I`m getting ripped off large from from Shaw Direct . All the sports channels & I`m watching old baseball , hockey and other old sports. Some other specialty channels are playing shows that are 14 years old and labeling them New. I would love to cut it off but have no other options. I`m in a rural area with no real OTA options. You can`t get news , network or specialty channels on Netflix. I`m stuck with getting ripped off. And the bill keeps going up. Maybe a letter to the CRTC? Good Luck! Thanks for the rant.
Are you so out in the boonies that you don't know about Coronavirus?? TV ppl can't make new shows! Like gzink said. There is some new sports this weekend and probably soon there will be baseball and hockey. Also I see NEW a lot in the guide that means its new to THAT channel.

you have internet so if you want news get something like a Roku that has apps then you can watch CBC and others. You can also buy networks but if your in the boonies maybe your internet isn't very good and TV shows and movies would break up. But you don't need satellite or cable these days.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Well, I was quite surprised that there was no attempt to keep me as a customer. When I called to cancel, the rep asked where I was going and why I was cancelling...to which I replied too many multiple price increases. I'm sure he realized that the competitor's price point was something that he could not come close to matching.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I am surprised that the representative did not pass you to a Customer Retention Representative. Maybe it was the tone of your voice which said more than your words. I hope your bill will be cancelled without problem.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
This was customer loyalty/retention. When I hit the number for cancelling or disconnecting, my call was answered immediately.

681 - 700 of 710 Posts