Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

441 - 460 of 691 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Also two $4.00 increases in services in less than a year is totally unacceptable to me for virtually no improvement in services and NO Ottawa HD channels added.
Even though I'm now with Bell, I just checked out Shaw's website for the heck of it to see if anything had changed. And I laughed when I saw Digital Favorites has now gone up to $70/month. I remember back in 2007 when Digital Favorites was $45/month. So in 6 years, Shaw has increased the monthly price of this package by 55%. Compare that with my ISP who has charged me the same price for my internet package for the past 4 years, with no price increases.

My Bell contract goes until August 2015, but I can easily predict that when that day comes, Shaw still won't have Cartoon Network, and their Digital Favorites package will probably be up to $86/month (it's already at $70, just factor in two more $8 increases for this year and next year).

Bell and Dish for the win. :)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I just left Bell for Shaw Direct. My Bell contract expired back in Sept. - I did call Bell for a monthly price reduction and they gave me $23 off for the next year ($13 for the PVR rental + $10 on top). I thought it was OK but something told me to call Shaw.....

I called Shaw Direct retentions and told them I was a pervious client ( I3 had my old account #) The Rep. offered me my old OVP package from 2010 plus free install.

New monthly bill will now be around $87 (tax in) compared to Bell at $133 (tax in)....saving over $500 a year.

Sure I loose a couple HD channels that I don't watch much anyway.... but I have Netflix to fill some gaps.

Install set for tomorrow.

Cheers

·
Registered
629 Posts
$133 per month for TV in insane! But how is $87 per month even acceptable? Yes you are still saving, but man is that a lot for TV!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Last bill was $70 after tax i believe (before the latest increase). Still really really high IMO. When i started with SD about 4yrs ago i was paying $50 after tax. I'm way more comfortable with that amount.

Not trying to offend you, i'm just annoyed that there is cheaper option.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Out of frustration, I've just emailed this to SD via their website:

"Your CSR Leo just informed me that the 20% increase in my monthly package is partly to cover "free" previews...

WOW!!! Is this for real?

Surely that's FALSE ADVERTISING or FRAUD!!

Please re-consider this massive 20% increase (CPI is only 3%),
so I'm not getting anything extra and I can't watch 20% more TV.
Otherwise, I'm considering bailing to Internet TV eg. Netflix @$8/month."

Does anyone know any senior SD managers' email accounts to which I can also send this?

They no longer have any "Ask Jim" option.

And they no longer offer any "press 1 to have us call you back" -- instead of waiting on the phone for a surly CSR to try to blame me for an issue with their system.

Thanks;
I have to agree that the removal of a direct link to a senior administrator really shows how Shaw direct has changed their attitude towards their customers over what Star choice used to have (at least from my experience).

We (the customers) need to keep the shaw senior admins informed of our disatisfaction with the new culture, and the best way to do that is to send your frustrations to the top.

Jay Mehr is in charge of all "customer experience" for the shaw customer facing legs of the company (Shaw Direct & Shaw Cable).

send him your note. I think he needs to understand how many decade old customers are now fed up.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
iPad apps and Shaw.....

just got around to messing with some iPad TV apps...

CTV Go - only for Bell customers?
TMN Go - Shaw Direct subscribers NOT allowed access.
Sportsnet World Online - Rogers only?

so why are Shaw apparently not allowing paying customers to access these services? Imagine I have no idea how monopolies work....

·
Registered
118 Posts
I bailed a month ago and went to Optik TV from Telus. I think it will be cheaper, there is more HD channels (that I watch) and the picture is as good or better. I get "thrown in" 3 times the speed on my internet connection.
There are some frustrations... and negatives. The remote is direct line of sight.. the remote is harder to use for someone with "non texting thumbs" as in.. my thumb was designed for hitch hiking.. not texting.. The sound level between channels varies a lot..

Overall.. glad I made the move. But in a nutshell.. the reason I dumped Shaw was the cost they were going to charge me for upgrading to the new satellite.. a $98 service charge to install a new LNB. After.. making the call to cancel they were all over me offering to do it for free.. throw in some PPV movies.. And that was my argument.. for existing customers (7 years) you (Shaw) do squat.. new customers offer them the world. When I changed to the 630 series PVR the same thing.. took the threat of canceling to get a reduction in price.. a $99 special deal. Right!

Perhaps in a few years.. I may be unhappy with Telus as well... then perhaps back to Bell??

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
TV guide "No Data"

on both my DSR 605 and DSR 630, I've been seeing 'No Data' show up in the listings, randomly, over the last few days. Makes scheduling recordings difficult.
Anyone else seeing this?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Not so much a complaint, but a question. Why don't Shaw "combine" their cable / satellite operations into one "brand". Call the whole thing "Shaw TV". Then, you can either get cable or satellite, but each will be the same, with the same EPG, channel #'s etc. Would make it much easier I feel. Sure, keep them as separate business units if necessary, but otherwise, combine all branding and marketing, harmonise the channels and make things the same. I know it's what I'd do if I was running Shaw (along with several other things!). One consistent offer:

"Hello, I'm interested in your XYZ package"
"Certainly sir. Can I take your postal code and we can take a look?"
"Yes, it's A1A 1A1"
"OK sir, we can offer you that package by either cable or satellite. Do you have a preference?"
"Oh, I can't have a satellite dish on my apartment, I'll choose cable please"

·
Super Moderator
56,427 Posts
Starting with a clean slate, I'm sure that's what they'd do, however, contracts would have been negotiated separately for what was StarChoice and with those in place, renewals may be easier than renegotiating, etc. The fact that the distribution network is different, may also come into play because identical options for distribution (say internet) are not available for Shaw and Shaw Direct. Bandwidth may also come into play since there may be no room in one distribution network.

For example, Rogers Atlantic has a different lineup than Rogers Ontario.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yes true, I didn't think about those things. But surely, it's something that could be done moving forward, even if it's piecemeal. Maybe it is in the works, who knows? :)

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
I doubt the channel line-up would ever be harmonized with Shaw. In fact Shaw Cable has very different channel line-ups between markets. It's not uncommon for cable systems to have different dial positions for the former analog channels but companies like Cogeco, Rogers and Videotron have pretty much the same line-ups for the digital only channels. If you look at Shaw's line-ups from market to market, even the digital channel locations can be different.

·
Registered
5 Posts
combining their cable / satellite operations

if shaw is getting rid of their BC satellite guys and replacing them with their cable guys doesn't that mean they are combining their cable / satellite operations?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bogus charge

I have been on the phone with SD for about 2 - 2 1/2 hours over the last couple of days trying to get my Satellite bill under control.

After getting prices and discounts to go to lower packages ie Gold choice, I am told that if I go to that package they are going to add a multi receiver fee of $5.99.

It costs SD no more money to transmit the signal whether I have 1 or 6 receivers.

This is one of the most bogus charges I have ever heard of.

Talk about driving people away to look at how to get American signal.
Oh I guess then I would be a criminal as far as the CRTC is concerned.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Dish Network charges between $7 - $17 for each additional receiver & the warranty is another $7 a month. Seriously there is no reason to complain about $5.99 and the warranty included for up to six receivers inclusive. Everyone has their own opinion though, and the right to voice it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Charges like this just annoy the hell out of me.
They seem sneaky and underhanded.
There is that thing also about it costing SD no more $ if I have more than 1 receiver.

441 - 460 of 691 Posts