Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

281 - 300 of 691 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
I don't know if this is the right thread to post this question, as it is not really a complaint, but the other threads didn't fit right.

Has anyone else noticed that CITYTV Vancouver (advanced ch 6 - not sure of Classic number, as we have Advanced) is washed out. When we watch AFV at 10pm EDT (7pm PDT), we notice that the outside videos are washed out, also the commercials and previous program (the cooking show). This must be a CITY problem, as our other channels are fine.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hooked up to Shaw several months ago, and my biggest complaint is the Canuck HD net'works pixilate every time the action gets a little busy. I was watching Space on the freebie preview today and didn't see this behaviour at all. My 32" HD TV is but a few months old, and considering this only happens on some channels I'd assume it's not the TV. In fact, I wonder now why I even mentioned it. :rolleyes:

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
A case where a friend of a friend was heading South and had lost a dish etc. In an RV accident, so got one sent out. Got to the destination and tried to get it to work. Got the friend who met up with them to try to get it working. No luck. Turns out an xku lnb sent out with no warning that things have to be changed and the help they got didn't twig to this either. Next stop he got a US sat guy to help who realized the problem right away.
I encountered the same situation beside me earlier in Yuma with an xku. The guy plugged into his neighbour's dish temporarily.

CS should know about old and xku lnb's and there should be warnings in the current dish packages.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Terrible string of luck with the HD 630

<rant>

I had to call into SD this morning to have my HD 630 replaced for the 3rd time in as many months. I keep having PVR-related failures (HDD failure, unable to record even with a healthy HDD, etc..).

Is this just a string of bad luck or are these receivers really terrible? SD even had the balls to try and charge me the return shipping on a receiver which failed within 2 days of me receiving it.

</rant>

·
Super Moderator
56,427 Posts
Moved your post to the rant thread. You may wish to check out the dedicated 630 sticky:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=128667

Usually when there are repeated problems, it's not the STB, but rather poor/bad connections, poor signal, or something else at your home, like lack of proper ventillation for the 630, etc. There certainly are issues (which provider doesn't have them), but repeatedly replacing STBs is not the solution. One must find the source of the real problem.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I had multiple 630's and SD nor techie could solve but when I called to switch to the new rv program because I'm now on cable, the csr very smugly stated that all my problems were grounding related and he could have solved them if only I had reached him with my troubles....:D:rolleyes:

·
Registered
26 Posts
DSR 600 problem. Anybody run into this one yet? SD says I get Space HD, I can tune to Space HD, but if I have unsubscribed channels hidden it does not appear in the guide. I've already tried all the usual stuff including a receiver refresh. Oh, and the SD self serve page says I have different services than I do (Digital favorites is the only thing they have right).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Same issue here with 605 and 630. Called last night - they had me do a receiver reboot. This fixed it for a bit but back to same issue today.

Also:

Nothing coming in on Disvovery HD, TsnHD, Tsn2HD or CTVHD.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You aren't missing much new right now

Most concerts are reruns such as:
May 28: Ted Nugent Live - I Still Believe!
May 30: Crosby-Nash: In Concert
May 31: Doobie Brothers - World Gone Crazy Live
June 1:REO Speedwagon
June 3: Bad Company - Live at Wembley
June 3: Bon Jovi, Lost Highway - The Concert
June 3: Nickelback - Live at Sturgis
June 3: John Fogerty - The Long Road Home

Paying extra for HD reruns on numerous Bell owned channels is much more entertaining.

Almost as entertaining as the 6 shows repeated daily on 12 Shaw owned cable channels.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I miss the HD-Net concerts, but am finding plenty on Youtube (plus all sorts of Midnight Special, Old Grey Whistle Test and Rockpalast clips - although not HD, the video camera/tape technology of the time is next to it). It is a double edged sword though, I like the "Classic Rock" artists, and they mostly don't look so good nowadays, their older shows in the prime of their careers was taped in SD.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Not much PPV

Okay this isnt a huge rant but we're just switching from Bell to Shaw and Shaw has hardly any PPV channels. :( BEV has lots and not just that it lets you choose what time to watch but they actually have more movies. Weve got some PPV credits fm Shaw but I dont know whether we'll be able to use them before they expire b'cuz there isnt much we want to watch. We looked at BEV's website and they've got more movies but we don't have free PPV there. :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Okay this isnt a huge rant but we're just switching from Bell to Shaw and Shaw has hardly any PPV channels. :( BEV has lots and not just that it lets you choose what time to watch but they actually have more movies. Weve got some PPV credits fm Shaw but I dont know whether we'll be able to use them before they expire b'cuz there isnt much we want to watch. We looked at BEV's website and they've got more movies but we don't have free PPV there. :)
Agreed, that Shaw Direct has very few actual PPV movie channels, but I found the selection to be same as other providers in terms of movies offered. It's just that you'll find they are played at weird times. Like at 5am. Rarely are they playing at normal viewing times, so best thing to do if you have a PVR, is purchase movie and set it to record so you can watch it later. Shaw Direct website has each month's PPV movie listings. Just search via the menu for one and then as I say, PVR it, cause you'll rarely find a movie playing at a normal time.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Hi johnnucleo yes I think youre right that mostly Shaw plays the same movies as Bell but be'cuz Bell has more channels they keep them around longer. So for example right now we could see Puss 'n' Boots and War Horse on Bell but they aren't on Shaw where we have the PPV credits. :( I'm sure they were there maybe last month or month before but they're gone now.

We have been looking at the Shaw website and just hope that some good stuff will show up in June or July.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Award-winning customer service?

So after sitting on hold for 35 minutes, head throbbing from where the dish slid down and bonked me, I finally get a CSR. I start to explain I need a remap and re-activation. My phone starts to pack it in so I asked him to phone me back on my wife's cell. CSR tells me he's too busy :eek: Phone dies...

Starting to wonder if he secretly worked for Telus Optic. Got phone recharged, called - wait times exceed 60 minutes. :mad:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Pixelation

Yesterday I am watching the Olympics on CTV HD and about every 30 seconds the program pixelates. After that I watch the CFL game on TSN HD and the same thing although it is not as bad as CTV HD. Check my signal and it is excellent as usual.

I really wish there was Satellite provider in Canada that offered a service that actually worked properly. My friend has cable and he doesn't have the pixelation problems that we do with satellite.

Actually I don't even know why I am complaining about it as I know nothing will ever be done to address the problem. Shawdirect probably doesn't even know what the problem is!

Thanks Digital Home for having a Rant thread! :)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Stecle are you sure youre dish is aligned okay? We're in California and we watched the opening ceremony live on CTV yesterday and there were no glitches. or maybe you had bad weather in your city?

281 - 300 of 691 Posts