Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I don't think it's that hard to figure out in the 3 digit line-up 200s are HD 300s are networks,400s sports, 500s specialty and 600s movies you're looking for CTD SD you go to 300 and search the guide.....what's so difficult here?
Yes, it does sound simple, so why did Shaw change it??? What you are describing is what you and I have, the Classic Channel lineup. But my neighbours across the street have the Advanced lineup. For example, Global BC is channel 5, CBS Detroit is channel 77 and 327 HD, SportsNet West is channel 120 and 315 HD, TMN is channel 232 and 346 HD. Peachtree is 220 on the Advanced lineup..

I agree that the classic lineup is simple but Shaw thought that new customers would find it too complicated ( :) )and so tried to make the advanced lineup seem more like a cable one.

We do not need both systems..I'm sure that we will be able to handle any channel lineup that Shaw comes up with...just give us one or the other!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Not sure why those channels you mentioned need 2 spots, it just takes up room for a new channel and it isn't because of time-shift both are the same
Well it doesn't use up any of the valuable bandwidth, only a channel number. The channel is still just on a single transponder position. But, I don't know what the logic is to having a channel appear on two different channel numbers. Maybe to group a channel with other similar channels when the channel is available in two different theme packs but the channel lineup is such a mess already what difference does it make!

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Telelatino is on two channels because it use to be a stand alone ethnic service but is now included in the essentials package. When the channel moved to the essentials package, they mirrored the channel with the other essential channels. They did the same thing with Encore Avenue 2, it use to be a premium channel then later moved to essentials.

Peachtree has always had two positions. I believe the channel is only available in the Prime Time package and has always been that way.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well it doesn't use up any of the valuable bandwidth, only a channel number. The channel is still just on a single transponder position. But, I don't know what the logic is to having a channel appear on two different channel numbers. Maybe to group a channel with other similar channels when the channel is available in two different theme packs but the channel lineup is such a mess already what difference does it make!
I suspect the bolded part is right.

The way DirecTV handles HD - show SD and HD versions right next to each other with the "same" channel number and an option to hide SD duplicates - is far and away the best way to handle things, but I have no idea if the software on the 6XX boxes can do it.

·
Registered
409 Posts
To me the advance line-up is completely screwy, Ok I get it's like an old cable box until you run into 3 digits and then that's over. and if you had a really old tv it's done after channel 13

·
Registered
160 Posts
There's nothing more screwy about the advanced lineup as their is the classic lineup. The advanced lineup is exactly like cable as even digital cable starts at 2 (or 1 if you include the barker channel) and goes up from there into three and (in Cogecoland at least) four digit numbers, which is probably what they were going for.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
With all the new channels now added, I think Shaw Direct has to get rid of either the advanced or classic lineup even more so now than in the past. A channel like CTV Toronto now has 6 channel numbers: advanced SD, advanced HD old, advanced HD new, classic SD, classic HD new, classic HD old. Isn't that 3 too many??

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
For the advanced line-up Shaw Direct shoud eventually phase out the old HD channel number in the 300s, then move the sports channels from 105-139 to this range and finally move the locals from the 199-209 range down to the lower channel number 105 and up.

They should also consider re-arranging some of the french channels so that the Super Ecran channels are together and not channels appart.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Windsor local CBC

I read somewhere that the CRTC is making Shaw carry the local CBC and CTV2 Windsor stations. Does anybody know if this is true? If it is when is it supposed to start and will it be part of the normal tv package.I have emailed Shaw asking these questions but I haven't received a reply.I miss the local news that these stations supply. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the update.I do have two 600 series receivers but what is a dish capable of getting reception from Anik G1. Is that the new satellite that was put into orbit? If so that means I would have to buy and install new dish, the one I have now is only 3 years old

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've been away for a few weeks - and see that I am supposed to have the new channels. However, there is no change. I still have the same batch of channels, with the classic channel numbers (ie 292 for CBC HD). My receiver (630) does not believe that there are any channels between ch1 and 199. Is there something that I should do - such as reboot the receiver? I have an elliptical disk with a 4-output LNB that is 6 years old.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts