Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the Galaxie and Radio Channel numbers still changing on May 21st? There was an information notice on the SD guide (classic numbering) that stated the channels were moving on May 21st, but it seems to have been removed from the guide, now. Does anyone know if they are still moving, and if so, what are the new numbers?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
The move notices are still up on the advanced guide. I suspect they are going to move them from the current 400s and 500s up in to the 800s and 900s like the classic guide.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I hope they adapt just one channel lineup instead of this annoying dual lineup. It's a pain when some people will talk about a channel for example 293 on these forums. Well, there is no channel 293 on the advanced lineup so I have to look up what channel they are talking about. Just come up with one well organized lineup.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Galaxie onto 901 - 940 and radio somewhere in the 850's and up IIRC. I also saw on the Shaw News Twitter account that no new Galaxie or radio channels are to be added (https://twitter.com/ShawDirect_News). Finally, I received a reply to a query about the poor quality of the EPG/IPG and menu information for the Galaxie / radio channels and was told they are working with a third-party to improve it. HTH.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, it seems to be a change for the Advanced channel numbers and not the Classic channel numbers. The information on our guide must have been a mistake, since it disappeared a couple of days ago.

I agree that there should only be only one set of channel numbers for Shaw Direct; it can get very confusing sometimes when family and friends call and tell me to "quick turn on this or that channel"...half of my f & f are on classic numbers and half are on advanced numbers.

·
Registered
409 Posts
OK and which one do you pick so you don't piss-off customers because dropping either one will lead to complaints from one side or the other and your answer will be....pick the one I'm used to. SD should have never started this in the first place

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I think they will need an all new lineup... even the "advanced" lineup is becoming not so advanced. It started out alright but when they added the last batch of locals they just put them anywhere like CBC PEI is stuck between Fox Rochester and PBS Buffalo instead of with Atlantic tv stations. Not exactly grouped by city like the advanced lineup was supposed to be.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Shaw Direct channel Moves

Since it appears Shaw Direct is making channel moves to prepare for the launch of new channels, I thought we should start a thread to keep track of the changes.

Advanced Line-up
-Radio and Galaxie channels are going to now mirror the classic line-up with radio channels starting at 824 and Galaxie starting at 901
-3D channels has moved from 333 to 433
-PPV SD channels have been moved to the 900s; can someone post the numbers?

Classic Line-up
-Peachtree (WPCH) has moved from 650 to 655

I'm not sure if I have posted everything, please post any additional updates.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Any old systems person would tell you that trying to keep a series of 3 digit numbers in order of category is hopeless. They are chasing their tail. The only way to sort by other criteria is to have categories sortable.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have no music or radio channels at all in my guide. I have the classic lineup. They disappeared some time ago and have not come back.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Are you using a 600 series receiver?
Music channels are not shown in the guide on these receivers. You need to press 'Menu' and scroll over to 'Music'.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK and which one do you pick so you don't piss-off customers because dropping either one will lead to complaints from one side or the other and your answer will be....pick the one I'm used to. SD should have never started this in the first place
I'm now of the opinion that either advanced or classic will be OK, just have one set of numbers..Maybe a whole new set is needed!

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
How about new lineup - Advanced and Advanced Plus. The latter only for 6xx series receivers connected to an X-Ku dish.

Advanced will be dropped for it. Classic will be kept with only important additions. Maybe, just maybe add new channels to Classic at 1000, if possible, to capable receivers.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Chronicle Herald has a new TV Guide, and claim that they cover Shaw Direct (they don't really, but that is a topic for another thread). The only Shaw numbers that they supply are the Advanced (Standard Definition) Lineup. That got me thinking that Shaw Direct actually has 4 sets of channel numbers. A channel like NBC (Detroit) actually has 4 sets of numbers. You know where I'm going here don't you...NBC standard advanced lineup, NBC high-def advanced lineup, NBC standard classic lineup, and NBC high-def classic lineup. This would be true for every channel that has a high definition equivalent.

The thought of us actually having 4 sets of channel numbers for each channel makes the classic and advanced system seem even more asinine. Just give us Standard and High Definition channel numbers, start fresh if you must, but do away with this 4 sets of numbers fiasco.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I don't think it's that hard to figure out in the 3 digit line-up 200s are HD 300s are networks,400s sports, 500s specialty and 600s movies you're looking for CTD SD you go to 300 and search the guide.....what's so difficult here?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Then there are the channels that they choose to put on two different channel numbers for whatever reason. Off the top of my head here, Peachtree, TLN, EA2 and a couple more. This was on the classic lineup, not certain about the advanced lineup.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Not sure why those channels you mentioned need 2 spots, it just takes up room for a new channel and it isn't because of time-shift both are the same

1 - 20 of 41 Posts