Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1461 - 1480 of 1522 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
I watch CBC and CTV news and Still Standing. That's about it for Canadian content. Everything else I watch is on specialty channels - some of that content is available in the US; some of it isn't. Well, it IS, but $$$$.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Only because we Canadians are willing to pay for the US programs and networks. Of course the Americans could care less about ours. At Costco in San Diego a young worker noticed our license and said to a 60+ worker..is that in California? I was shocked the older guy said Canada and had relatives in BC.
"Is that in California" Gotta love educated youth. I think alot of Canadians would pay for CDN programming/networks. Nothing wrong with our productions, all costs being relative. There are nearly 1m CDN's in the LA area from what I understand (at some point in their lives). If there were a $10 channel pack of the four CDN nets (plus news services), and five time zones, I'd pay for that with my cable package. I should think every person south of 49 with a Shaw dish would pay for it as well...

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I watch CBC and CTV news and Still Standing. That's about it for Canadian content. Everything else I watch is on specialty channels - some of that content is available in the US; some of it isn't. Well, it IS, but $$$$.
I guess we watch alot more - Hudson & Rex, Schitt's Creek (preceeded American TV by two years), Murdoch, Still Standing, Run The 'Burbs, Pretty Hard Cases, 22 Minutes (although it's sliding), Critch, Marketplace, Nature of Things, Passionate Eye, HNIC, TSN, Sportsnet, BNN (especially like a less-hyped, BS business channel than the U.S. ones), ET Canada, Private Eyes, Anne With an 'E' (also on U.S. Netflix), Corner Gas reruns and the animated series, LetterKenny, Trailer Park Boys, all the news nets, and of course, CFL Football (although that's on ESPN now). And I'm married to an American who prefers this stuff. Will our production quality be as good on a whole? Of course not, economics of TV says we can't generate enough revenue in Canada alone. Hence why I'd like to see CDN shows offered to Canadians outside Canada without having to jump through streaming/VPN hoops. The fact that most of my American fans can't relate is even better....

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
I think alot of Canadians would pay for CDN programming/networks. Nothing wrong with our productions, all costs being relative. There are nearly 1m CDN's in the LA area from what I understand (at some point in their lives). If there were a $10 channel pack of the four CDN nets (plus news services), and five time zones, I'd pay for that with my cable package.
The problem is Canadian networks mostly air American programming, likewise with specialty channels. Even the Canadian programming that is popular, the rights are likely held by a US broadcaster making much of the Canadian channels ineligible to be carried in the US. The only channels that could be carried are likely the news channels.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm old enough to remember when the Red Wings never played at home on Saturday nights in the regular season so we would be sure of getting the Leafs game every Saturday night. In the playoffs, the Wings would occasionally play in Detroit on Sat. night and the CBC Windsor was pre-empted. That meant that someone would have to go out on the (flat) roof with a pipe wrench to turn the antenna that was held up with a 1" pipe. We could ALMOST get the CBC from London. Even to this day if someone asks who I'm for, it's "Anybody but Detroit".

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
If we got CBC (five time zones), CBC News, CTV News, BNN, Documentary, Cottage Country, Discovery Canada/Science, Comedy Central (Corner Gas), CityPulse24, an amalgamation of the two sports nets and CDN Govt., that would be a limited package, mostly copyright-friendly to the U.S. that I’d pay for.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Two channels launched on Shaw Direct yesterday - Inuit TV on channel 268 (SD) and CKLB Radio on 829.

Inuit TV has been added at no additional cost to all subscribers nationally, while CKLB will be available to English Choice Radio subscribers (an add-on).

“INUIT TV’s mission is to be an independent Inuit television broadcasting service that informs, educates, entertains and engages Inuit across Canada. Inuit TV will promote, preserve and enhance the Inuktut language while reflecting Inuit identity and culture."

Please note, Inuit TV is a brand new network and are still working on their programming schedule, as such, they will have original programming airing from 3 pm - 10 pm ET, with Firelog content during the sign-off periods. As they work on their programming schedule, the Guide will display generic information for now.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
TSN channels cutting in and out like crazy. Considering what's on this weekend (Montreal F1, US Open, CFL openers) it sure is a lousy time to go in the tank.
Is it just me, or does anyone else see all the pixilation - drop outs etc.?

1461 - 1480 of 1522 Posts