Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1381 - 1400 of 1427 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I called Shaw direct yesterday i tried to make them understand that something was wrong with the chanel 782 SPM 1 . Told them to investigate on their end that it wasnt fully in HD , they didnt believe me . They told me to unplug all my recievers and reboot them :(

·
Registered
138 Posts
I checked twice tonight and your right CH 782 SPM 1 is not in HD , it’s Full screen 16 x 9 but it looks like its Standard Resolution.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I checked twice tonight and your right CH 782 SPM 1 is not in HD , it’s Full screen 16 x 9 but it looks like its Standard Resolution.
That's wat i told them , but they didnt believe me . I told them to take notes of my request and make an investigation on their side. Insted they replied : No , first we'll have to make all kind of tests on your end sir , you will have to unplug all your recievers at the same time and if it doesnt work .... we'll make more tests again on your side .

I got frustrated and changed subject .

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
That's wat i told them , but they didnt believe me . I told them to take notes of my request and make an investigation on their side. Insted they replied : No , first we'll have to make all kind of tests on your end sir , you will have to unplug all your recievers at the same time and if it doesnt work .... we'll make more tests again on your side .

I got frustrated and changed subject .
and they wonder why people are disconnecting....

·
Registered
619 Posts
I suspect that these agents do not have access to what the customer sees, i.e. a feed from a receiver/dish like a customer would have. I've had the go thru the rigamarole when I knew the problem in the past - very aggravating.

·
Registered
138 Posts
SPM 1 could be sending a Standard Def signal in there upload link , TCM was doing that last year.
The Shaw Direct chat and even customer service land line would not have access to actually watch the channel your having problems with.Like all other call centres they can only access your account for program changes and go through a basic script to reboot your receiver and book a service call. It would be nice if they passed the info onto there Technical department.It’s random that you get a really good agent on the line , keep trying.

·
Registered
619 Posts
What I meant was that Shaw Direct customer service center should have a standard customer dish(s) on the Shaw building and an 830(s) connected to monitors to see what was actually received by all Shaw Direct customers. Relying on what was uplinked to satellite is not good enough.

·
Registered
57 Posts
What I meant was that Shaw Direct customer service center should have a standard customer dish(s) on the Shaw building and an 830(s) connected to monitors to see what was actually received by all Shaw Direct customers. Relying on what was uplinked to satellite is not good enough.
I am assuming that they are working this way , because back in the days of Star Choice this is how thwy've been working.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Btw , i was under the impressions that we had a member on this forum who is working for Shaw Direct . It would be nice if he could investigate my request and fix the problem.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Tough to mount a dish on the roof of a 40 storey building and wire it to the basement dungeon type quarters they are working in.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Btw , i was under the impressions that we had a member on this forum who is working for Shaw Direct . It would be nice if he could investigate my request and fix the problem.
I do have someone looking into it after the last bit of chatter about the channel (thinking more about this I might have just received an email...). The delivery of the signal has been troublesome from SPM1, with their backhauls being located in France. There was also some sub-sea fibre damage at one point... I'll ask again, thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I do have someone looking into it after the last bit of chatter about the channel (thinking more about this I might have just received an email...). The delivery of the signal has been troublesome from SPM1, with their backhauls being located in France. There was also some sub-sea fibre damage at one point... I'll ask again, thanks for the heads up.
thanks i'll be waiting for an update and in the mean time i will still keep an eye on the chanel . It's possible that i will ask again later if i dont see any changes

·
Registered
233 Posts
thanks i'll be waiting for an update and in the mean time i will still keep an eye on the chanel . It's possible that i will ask again later if i dont see any changes
The team is monitoring right now and say it's coming through 16x9 HD - can you confirm? Thanks!

EDIT: pulled it up on my home receiver here and it looks HD to me as well.

·
Registered
619 Posts
BBC FIRST Canada is in free preview until April 16 on channel 462.
At this writing, it is not in the guide. Direct channel entry on the remote is needed.
I hope Shaw Direct puts it in the guide asap.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
If its got ads like BBC Canada then just wait and watch the shows on PBS otherwise they'll be all chopped up to fit in an hour with ads and they won't make sense!

1381 - 1400 of 1427 Posts