Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1341 - 1353 of 1353 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Does anyone at Shaw know if this situation in the USA will affect our channel access? Copy/paste from another site.

John

This latest Dish news from cordcuttersnews website in quotes

"Nexstar Media Group is threatening to pull its channels from Dish, taking away customer access to 164 local channels in 120 markets across 42 states. Dish claims that Nexstar is “trying to use its market power to demand unreasonable rate increases while intentionally using millions of Americans as pawns in their negotiations.”

Nexstar is currently the largest local station owner. With control over more stations than any other broadcaster, the company has been raising its rates, resulting in TV providers passing those increases on to customers. Nexstar is asking Dish to pay over $1 billion in fees for their television channels".

Rest of this long story is on the cordcuttersnews website.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
It will have no impact for Bell, Shaw, Rogers etc. This is unique to the US situation where BDU's pay the local channels for the right to carry their signal.

·
Super Moderator
17,255 Posts
Does Shaw pay the owner of USA channels to distribute their signal, e.g. WDIV Detroit NBC?
The Canadian Copyright Act gives Canadian TV providers the right to retransmit local Canadian and American OTA stations without a fee. They pay a small timeshifting royalty into various funds that is distributed directly to the content producers. (not to the stations.)

·
Registered
585 Posts
The US network channels come in so well via Shaw Direct that I assumed the signals were picked up in the same way local US TV stations obtain the signal. I remember the days when local US channels were picked up by a cable company TV antenna. Not the greatest quality, especially if the source was quite distant from the receiving TV antenna.

·
Super Moderator
17,255 Posts
The US network channels come in so well via Shaw Direct that I assumed the signals were picked up in the same way local US TV stations obtain the signal.
I should clarify that they don't necessarily have to rely on OTA to receive they signal. They can use fibre or satellite for transport.

·
Super Moderator
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,353
The US network channels come in so well via Shaw Direct that I assumed the signals were picked up in the same way local US TV stations obtain the signal. I remember the days when local US channels were picked up by a cable company TV antenna. Not the greatest quality, especially if the source was quite distant from the receiving TV antenna.
When I grew up in Halifax, the US channels we received were sent over by Microwave tower from Bangor, Maine. By the late eighties, the cable company finally got a CBS network (via Satellite from Detriot). Suddenly we were seeing "big city" newscasts with "if it bleeds, it leads." Fox (from Rochester) did not arrive until the digital channel boom of January 1995. Here we met Jim "The Hammer" Shapiro and his down your throat ads.
. The quality of the Bangor microwave signals eventually forced a change to Satellite feeds from Boston.

1341 - 1353 of 1353 Posts