Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1281 - 1300 of 1373 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Interesting all these channel authorization issues started when the V network became Noovo. I wonder if the channel renaming and guide updates somehow was misconfigured and caused collateral issues for channel authorizations.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Interesting all these channel authorization issues started when the V network became Noovo. I wonder if the channel renaming and guide updates somehow was misconfigured and caused collateral issues for channel authorizations.
The V network became Noovo? The flayrod’s fallen off the tredle? Obviously, I have no idea what you just said. lol

·
Registered
215 Posts
Pure coincidence - without going into it too much, there's a monthly "call home" process for the receivers that didn't go quite as planned, for a batch of Unit Addresses (so not all units).

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Pure coincidence - without going into it too much, there's a monthly "call home" process for the receivers that didn't go quite as planned, for a batch of Unit Addresses (so not all units).
I'm assuming the units which are NOT hooked up to the internet are the ones which were effected?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm assuming the units which are NOT hooked up to the internet are the ones which were effected?
Nope! Nothing to do with the internet - the "call home" doesn't go that route, but good guess. It was truly an anomaly for a range of Unit Addresses, and further processes/monitoring systems have been put in place for the future months to ensure it doesn't happen again. The secondary "wave" was a by product of fixing the initial issue, just by the way.

EDIT: Customers who have been around for a long time (prior to 2011) may remember something like this happening - at the time it was a software defect, which has since been fixed. This was before units could be connected for VOD.

@JasperJoe - your two receivers that had the issue likely have fairly similar unit addresses, with the other one being quite different (did you purchase the two at once, and the third later, or vice versa?).

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Super, thanks. Two of mine hiccuped, and two didn't, so yeah, the range seems the likely thing. :) Curious though - the 'calling home' is built into each firmware build then, and the receiver goes looking to the satellite for help? Do they talk to all three satellites?

·
Registered
376 Posts
@JasperJoe - your two receivers that had the issue likely have fairly similar unit addresses, with the other one being quite different (did you purchase the two at once, and the third later, or vice versa?).
I thought it was only one that had the problem but our 'bedroom unit' could have also had a problem and I wouldn't have known.

I have a 630 and 605 that were handed to me by friends who had moved into an apartment. I assume they bought those at the same time. My other 630 I bought from another individual about 5 years ago.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The call home is to the authorization center (where refreshes are sent down from, etc.), so it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the birds themselves. It's also not built into the firmware but the old defect just didn't allow the call to properly take - authorization status "OC" (which is what your receivers would have gone into) = Old Category [Key] = needs a refresh.

Receivers that were affected were automatically refreshed throughout the problematic day/night (only so many can be done at once), so it is possible that a unit could have been affected but you didn't notice if you didn't check before a refresh was received.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
The call home is to the authorization center (where refreshes are sent down from, etc.), so it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the birds themselves. It's also not built into the firmware but the old defect just didn't allow the call to properly take - authorization status "OC" (which is what your receivers would have gone into) = Old Category [Key] = needs a refresh.

Receivers that were affected were automatically refreshed throughout the problematic day/night (only so many can be done at once), so it is possible that a unit could have been affected but you didn't notice if you didn't check before a refresh was received.
I waited 12 hours then did my own refresh, which cleared things up :)

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
beIN SPORTS Official Press Release

beIN SPORTS, the international sports network, is pleased to announce a distribution partnership with Shaw Direct in Canada, making beIN SPORTS available to Satellite TV customers on Channel 118 (Classic) and 618 (Advanced).

A free preview of beIN SPORTS is currently available to Shaw Direct customers until March 15.

beIN sports will now be available to all Shaw Direct customers across Canada with compatible equipment and with 3rd satellite access.

Full Press Release
Have you heard any recent news about Shaw Direct renaming their ‘National‘ listings information which is provided to third-party companies like Zap2It being renamed ‘Classic’?
I thought they were dumping the Classic title maps, and everything was to be National going forward. However, I received an email from a listings provider that they have indeed changed the name back to Classic. Any press releases I missed?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
When I look at zap2it and try to change providers they make no reference to Classic, Advanced or National. They just have a choice between Shaw Direct East or West - the same as Bell Satellite. Don't think it really matters what a guide provider calls it, seeing as there is only one channel map now. It could be called National or the channel map formerly known as National (my nod to Prince).

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Many newspapers around here still don't know that SD only has one channel map, now. Not sure if it's up to them to update or if SD should send out memos to all newspapers (print editions are what I am referring to here.)

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
When I look at zap2it and try to change providers they make no reference to Classic, Advanced or National. They just have a choice between Shaw Direct East or West - the same as Bell Satellite. Don't think it really matters what a guide provider calls it, seeing as there is only one channel map now. It could be called National or the channel map formerly know as National (my nod to Prince).
Well, I got an email from my SageTV listings provider, Schedules Direct, saying the National listings map had been discontinued and renamed ‘Classic’. Sure enough, I checked, and my National listings map in Sage was now ‘Deleted’

·
Registered
215 Posts
Last week, I asked our third party listing affiliate to remove all Advanced and Classic line-ups, leaving only the National (which, as referenced is kind of just nameless now). Not sure why that provider would use Classic, but they're wrong! Ha.

@NovaMan, I'm hoping my most recent reach out is going to clean up the newspapers...

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Last week, I asked our third party listing affiliate to remove all Advanced and Classic line-ups, leaving only the National (which, as referenced is kind of just nameless now). Not sure why that provider would use Classic, but they're wrong! Ha.
Is it possible your 'third party affiliate' may have got it wrong? Schedules Direct have been pretty accurate for five years now. The National lineup in their database is showing as Deleted, and they are supplying Classic East & West. I'll forward your comment to them - they're very quick to reply. Who is the listing affiliate in case Schedules Direct asks?
thanks

UPDATE: Now, the word 'Classic' has disappeared, and the lineups are named 'Shaw Direct - Satellite - Canada (East) (West)
Is that your 'nameless' reference? Someone must have corrected it and got it sent out to Schedules Direct in the last few hours. So it's all good now?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Thanks @k801809 , we'll see if the papers make the correction. In the Chronicle Herald TVGuide, here in Nova Scotia, they only list Shaw Classic and Advanced, no mention is made of the current guide numbers. Part of the problem the newspapers are having (again, I'm only speaking of print editions) is that they are only listing standard def channel numbers, for the major networks, and of course, Shaw only has High def, now. The newspaper would have to redo all their providers if they switched to high def numbers and maybe they don't have the staff anymore to do this .

·
Registered
376 Posts
We have been recording Coronation Street on CH132 for quite some time. For some reason, our 630s are trying to record it at 1300 EST (used to be 7pm. Hockey?) Anyway, the channel is not coming in. Our second 630 records fine but on CH144. I'm not aware of problems at other times of the day. Is it possible this is a solar interference issue?

·
Registered
134 Posts
We have been recording Coronation Street on CH132 for quite some time. For some reason, our 630s are trying to record it at 1300 EST (used to be 7pm. Hockey?) Anyway, the channel is not coming in. Our second 630 records fine but on CH144. I'm not aware of problems at other times of the day. Is it possible this is a solar interference issue?
Yeah, we're in Fall solar transit period. This explains it in some detail: Sun outage - Wikipedia
Normally the outage is only supposed to be a few minutes (wiki says up to 12), and the exact start/end times will vary over the period. Should be over within a week'ish.

1281 - 1300 of 1373 Posts