Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1201 - 1219 of 1219 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Yea, Rewind Rewind is another movie channel not offered by Shaw Direct. SD has a history of not offering available channels. Take a look at Loud, Retro, etc. These channels were never offered by SD and they always claimed the usual (not enough demand, no room on the satellite, etc) until they took over ownership and magically, the channels appear. Question also why they removed Peachtree. The more channels NOT offered equals more revenue for SD. I am pretty sure that given the decline of satellite, it is pretty much a service now for those who have virtually no other options (e.g. live in the country with poor internet, to get service at an RV site or those wanting Canadian television when in the States). SD is not likely to gain any revenue by offering additional channels so there is no motivation for them to do so.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
@starchoice Loud, Retro, Vibe, Country (was Juicebox) were Chum, then Bell Media/BCE/CTV properties and are now owned Stingray. Yes they were added more recently but not because Shaw or Corus have an ownership stake in them.
Yea, @LONSat you are correct. It is my bad memory. I do believe that there was some type of dispute between CHUM and Shaw at the time.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Assuming Lifetime Movie Network is separate from the US version of Lifetime then the chances are pretty much zero as Lifetime Movie Network is not listed as an authorized service by the CRTC. If it were authorized I would expect that there would be many blackouts as many movie rights are already held by the different broadcast entities in Canada.

·
Registered
112 Posts
What is Channel 195? How can I get rid of the listing?
My Arris 630 on the Guide has channel 195 listed with the description No Data. In User Settings & Appearance, under Edit Channel List, I cannot Delete it as it does not show up under Channel list, only on the Guide.

UPDATE I discovered on Shaw Direct's Channel lineup that Channel 195 is CTV2 Alberta.
I would still like to get rid of it from my Guide. Help appreciated.

·
Registered
555 Posts
What is Channel 195? How can I get rid of the listing
Note – most actions will be accepted by pushing the GoBack or Exit button

Menu
Settings Menu
Options

Preferences
User Settings & Appearance
Unsubscribed Channels – Hide This is optional

Preferences
Edit Channel List – Follow on-screen instructions

·
Registered
112 Posts
Note – most actions will be accepted by pushing the GoBack or Exit button

Menu
Settings Menu
Options

Preferences
Unsubscribed Channels – Hide This is optional

Preferences
Edit Channel List – Follow on-screen instructions
Thank you

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
It's a Canadian channel owned by Channel Zero (Same owners as Rewind and CHCH). It's not the greatest classic movie channel. A lot of public domain stuff (in other words, content you could easily get elsewhere for free in most cases).
I've been watching this channel (Silver Screen Classics) quite a bit for about a week since dropping Shaw Direct. Yes, @tvmaster it is a Canadian channel. I think @bigoranget that when it first started, it was rather weak showing a loy of public domain stuff but the channel is very good now. I would equate it to a Canadian version of TCM. There are no commercials shown during the films. Happened upon a film last night that turned out to be Stanley Kubrick's first directed major film. This channel is a welcome gem.

·
Registered
134 Posts
why does channel 801 TLN not so up on the guide if I select English only (instead of French)... TLN is not a french channel

thanks

·
Registered
555 Posts
I set up a "user" called FAVORITES under PERMISSIONS & USERS. It is time consuming to set up, but one may put any channels one may desire in a "new user" named anything one may desire - I used the user name of FAVORITES. I like some of the cooking shows on TLN, so TLN is in my FAVORITES, but I able to only speak English.

The choice of language in the setup has nothing to do with the language content of channels. Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I no longer seem to be able to get channel 260 without a lot of pixilation. Service guy could not find any problem with my set up. Shaw Customer Service said that they have been having problems with 260 (MSNBC) also with 262 (Fox) and Cottage Life.

Does anyone else have problems with these channels? Signal strengths look good, but I get a lot of pixilation at times. Sometimes it is good, but then suddenly starts pixilation. No apparent cause. Not weather related. Any ideas?

Thanks, RV Dweller.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I no longer seem to be able to get channel 260 without a lot of pixilation. Service guy could not find any problem with my set up. Shaw Customer Service said that they have been having problems with 260 (MSNBC) also with 262 (Fox) and Cottage Life.

Does anyone else have problems with these channels? Signal strengths look good, but I get a lot of pixilation at times. Sometimes it is good, but then suddenly starts pixilation. No apparent cause. Not weather related. Any ideas?

Thanks, RV Dweller.
I have seen severe pixilations,audio-video drop-outs on CNN #258 over the last few weeks. My signal is very good and I wonder what could cause those problems. Anyone else having the same issues ?

1201 - 1219 of 1219 Posts