Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1181 - 1200 of 1219 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Can anyone check if they can tune Family JR HD this morning (it's channel 353 on the National Lineup). We get a black screen whenever we turn to it this morning on all of our receivers, even though the signal is decent (7.5 ecb). We did a receiver refresh online, but it hasn't come back yet.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks Joe! Instantly more helpful than spending an hour talking to Shaw Direct on the phone (who apparently can't check channels on their end).

·
Registered
195 Posts
It was on Free Preview temporarily, the free preview was supposed to end yesterday but it's been extended it with the network. The Guide got the word that the extension happened yesterday before the video team so it was a bit wonky for a while.

Agents are now working from home and may or may not have access to live services at this point - their help desk is likely very busy with the noise from settling into working from home... doing our best here and appreciate patience!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks k801809 for keeping everyone updated.
Since many of us are forced to stay at home, would it be possible to ask the ShawDirect executives to make more Free Previews available, especially movies?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
This may have been discussed before (search didn't turn anyting up), but is there any reason why TBS hasn't been offered in Canada? Are too many of their shows licensed to Canadian channels independently?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
It was on Free Preview temporarily, the free preview was supposed to end yesterday but it's been extended it with the network. The Guide got the word that the extension happened yesterday before the video team so it was a bit wonky for a while.

Agents are now working from home and may or may not have access to live services at this point - their help desk is likely very busy with the noise from settling into working from home... doing our best here and appreciate patience!
Do you know what hours, EDT, that the phones are still being attended, if at all? Thanks.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Shaw Inserted Commercials TOO LOUD

We watch and listen to MSNBC and CNN quite a bit. Recently the audio levels of Shaw inserted Canadian commercials on CNN and MSNBC are now very LOUD.

I was listening to 4AM MSNBC this morning (Wed April 29) while semi-awake when I was jolted awake by a too loud commercial for a GLOBAL (TV) APP. CNN this morning also has Shaw injected commercials that are way more loud than the CNN programming.

Someone at Shaw Direct is fiddling with audio levels. Keep it out of the RED for both programming and Canadian commercials" !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Bell used to do that (maybe still do - I don't have Expressvu anymore). When compared to OTA volume levels, they were very low so you have to turn up the volume level really high on you sound system. The commercials seemed to be at OTA levels so of course they were very loud. I think Shaw audio is also very low compared to OTA (can't tell that for CNN and MSNBC for obvious reasons).

·
Registered
554 Posts
It used to be that the audio of Canadian commercials were low compared to programming. I think a tech at Shaw Direct over-compensated. :frown

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
We watch and listen to MSNBC and CNN quite a bit. Recently the audio levels of Shaw inserted Canadian commercials on CNN and MSNBC are now very LOUD.

I was listening to 4AM MSNBC this morning (Wed April 29) while semi-awake when I was jolted awake by a too loud commercial for a GLOBAL (TV) APP. CNN this morning also has Shaw injected commercials that are way more loud than the CNN programming.

Someone at Shaw Direct is fiddling with audio levels. Keep it out of the RED for both programming and Canadian commercials" !!!!!!!!
Yup, I can confirm this as well, definitely on CNN & MSNBC. And the volume raaaaaAAAMMPPPPPSSSS up from program volume to “holy crap, we’ve woken up the neighbours” levels. I keep the remote close by now. Seems like a badly tuned, auto-insertion system. Those Shaw Direct price-increases and equipment upgrades at work.
Get it fixed, Shaw.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Global App ad - sent to Shaw by "Broadcaster"

I internet Chatted with Shaw today to complain about the over the top audio levels of the "Global App" commercial which features the show "Outlander" on the W Network. I was told that Shaw did not create the ad.

The rep said that it is the "broadcaster" supplies and puts in the ads. He will escalate. I thought that Shaw produced the ad and inserted it into at least the two networks, CNN and MSNBC. I was told that I was mistaken.

·
Registered
554 Posts
May Movie Entertainment Magazine - WAIT

I called the telephone number of the magazine to discuss that my May issue has not arrived. (My neighbor has not received his yet too.)

After a WAIT, I got a recording that said to call my service provider if the magazine was subscribed thru the provider cable or satellite provider. I got on the Shaw CHAT after a WAIT. I was finally told to call CRAVE about the matter.

The CRAVE number provided was the same number as the magazine. The conversation ended with Shaw Direct advice to WAIT longer for the magazine to arrive, probably due to covid-19.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I internet Chatted with Shaw today to complain about the over the top audio levels of the "Global App" commercial which features the show "Outlander" on the W Network. I was told that Shaw did not create the ad.

The rep said that it is the "broadcaster" supplies and puts in the ads. He will escalate. I thought that Shaw produced the ad and inserted it into at least the two networks, CNN and MSNBC. I was told that I was mistaken.
So far, this seems correct, as I found three instances of the W commercial. Nonetheless, I’m surprised Shaw doesn’t have limiters for extreme differences at their outgoing headend.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Bye Bye Shaw Direct - Hello SiriusXM

Rather than take a chance on my figurative alarm clock wake-up being an overly loud ad for W channel on the Global App, I disconnected my little FM transmitter (made for in-car use) from my Shaw Direct receiver. I connected the (cell phone charger powered) xmitter to the headphone jack of my personal computer.

I was able to have MSNBC on all night streamed from SiriusXM. Worked great. Bye Bye Shaw Direct. :smile

I will give SD a try after a few days, hoping the Global App advertising will grow long gray whiskers and go away.

1181 - 1200 of 1219 Posts