Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

101 - 120 of 1219 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Older folks that don't embrace new technology well, some people that TV is not a priority in their life ( none of them would be on web sites like this.) There a lot of older sets out there still running just as Lonsat pointed out.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Or cheap/less technically sophisticated. My brother (+"wife" and two young boys) has no less than 3 CRT TVs in his home, including a rather new discount store, and two flat screens (one a fairly nice one) fed from SD cable boxes. I am mostly LCD in the house, the ones used to watch most TV with DSR600 series receivers. Of course my mother (in her 70s) watches only SD channels, I rarely go above 138 (HD only).

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I just bought a 55 inch SONY 4K UHD TV and they still have RF input !!
If you do OTA outside antenna feed for local channels, the RF connection is needed.

·
Registered
555 Posts
RF is a convenient way to route signal a good distance around a house. A friend uses their living room receiver to send RF to their bedroom to watch the late shows which lull them into sleep. No need for a great picture.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I was told a couple of weeks ago that on January 1st the HD versions of the sports channels would be added for free for Digital Advantage subscribers. I have not seen them on my I-guide yet. I have the un-subscribed channels greyed out.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I was told the same info from a rep between Christmas and New Years. Called with a Tech problem all my sports channels in HD went grey and unsubscribed. The rep was able to restore them but he told me that HD Sports would be part of the pkg just as cableredneck says.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I got my sports channels added yesterday. I used the online chat through the Shaw Direct website. The problem was the code had not been changed in my subscription.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Anyone else wondering if / when Shaw will carry the super-stations in HD (excepting WGN of course)? Or CTV2 in HD? Or PBS West in HD? Or any one of a number of missing channels. I keep putting in channel request forms, but I don't think they carry much weight. It's either Bell or Shaw here (satellite that is) and the wife is not fond of Bell. Frustrating that they can't add at least a couple of the more popular channels.

·
Registered
122 Posts
We have also for a couple of years now been requesting My38, Peachtree, KTLA, in HD. Also have asked dozens of times about adding NFL Network HD, but nothing. Have been looking at other options for providers, just have not pulled the trigger yet.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I would like to see Peachtree in HD. Also CTV2 (which I can get through OTA in HD), CMT,M3, the western feeds of History, Comedy, YTV. Shaw Direct seems to be behind other providers with their HD channels. Cogeco and Bell have had some of these HD channels for years.

·
Registered
68 Posts
mobee said:
We have also for a couple of years now been requesting My38, Peachtree, KTLA, in HD. Also have asked dozens of times about adding NFL Network HD, but nothing. Have been looking at other options for providers, just have not pulled the trigger yet.
I called SD last week and requested for those chanels and Wpix HD , told me that they would take my request in note but they have no idea when or even IF they will be available in HD soon .

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yup - that's their standard response. Just keep plugging away at the channel requests and hopefully they'll take notice in the end. I've been looking for Weather Network HD for a long time and I can't see why that's such an issue as it's already distributed on Shaw Cable. Oh well. Hopefully what bigoranget says will come true and we'll have a couple extra soon. Their channel line-up really needs a re-vamp. I'd love to see the duplicate HD's in the 300's (Advanced) disappear along with a through change in the numbering. Something like Bell do with HD starting in the 1000's would be fantastic. A nice separation and lots of space for all channels.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I agree. They should get rid of the duplicate line up (200's in Classic). Shaw Direct is behind in the HD line-up as compared to other providers. I have noticed that there are some CTV channels that are only in SD. We have the time-shift bundle and there are a lot of channels in SD only.
If Shaw Direct does not get its act together and update its HD line-up, they may find a lot of customers leaving for other providers or even OTA.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Whilst agreeing with that, I think not having a single CTV2 in HD is far more culpable than not having every CTV in HD.

101 - 120 of 1219 Posts