Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1161 - 1180 of 1219 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
We've escalated that to Stingray... they're required to update Gracenote with their data.

I'll have the team take a look at SPM, I know there were some difficulties at the beginning, and the feed was upgraded because SPM was changing some of their equipment out so it's possible there are some challenges right now.
I think something is still wrong with SPM1 HD

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I actually understand now why WPCH is being dropped. When Time Warner was sold to AT&T, WPCH was actually sold off to Meredith Corporation and has been under their ownership since April 2018. My guess is companies in Canada are choosing to drop this channel as it is no longer tied to carriage of other Warner Media channels such as CNN, HLN and TCM.

Interesting that since Meredith took over they have contracted the local CBS station to produce a 9:00am and 9:00pm newcast for the station. These are actually not seen in Canada but instead replaced with paid programming (for the 9am hour) and ER reruns for the 9pm hour. CBS46 has been the defacto operator of the station as far back as 2011 under a local marketing agreement.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Shaw Direct should replace WPCH-TV (Peachtree TV) Atlanta, Georgia with the New York feed of WWOR-TV on Digital Satellite Channel 655, and the National satellite relay distribution feed of TBS Cable Network (U.S.) on Digital Satellite Discretionary Channel 529 as of May 1, 2020. Shaw Direct should give its satellite customers the Detroit feed WKBD-TV/DT on (Digital Basic Satellite Channels 57 & 365) in Ontario, Quebec and the Atlantic Maritime Provinces of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island & Newfoundland. the Spokane Superstation feed of KSKN-TV/DT on (Digital Basic Satellite Channel 375) in Southern Alberta, Central Alberta, Northern Alberta, Eastern British Columbia & Interior British Columbia and the Seattle Superstation feed of KSTW (TV)/DT on (Digital Basic Satellite Channels 67 & 384) in Western British Columbia & most of Interior British Columbia.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think Shaw Broadcast Service should talk to Turner Media and Warner Media about bringing the U.S. National satellite feed of TBS Cable Network (East & West satellite feeds) that is tied tied to carriage of other Warner Media channels such as CNN, HLN and TCM. Turner Network Television (TNT) and TruTV (formerly Court TV) should be also tied to other Warner Media Channels such as CNN, HLN, TBS and TCM. SBS should apply to the CRTC for authority to replace Peachtree TV for the U.S National satellite feed of Warner Media Channel TBS America (U.S. Cable Specialty Network) to be carried via Satellite Relay Distribution Undertaking in Canada.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Shaw Cable & Shaw Broadcasting Service should make a deal with Turner and Warner Media about bringing the U.S. Cable Pay Specialty channels TBS National Cable Network (Turner Broadcasting System) and Turner Network Television (TNT) into Canada to replace Peachtree TV (WPCH) Atlanta, Georgia as of April 30, 2020. TBS has 2 distribution feeds, TBS Eastern feed in the U.S. would serve Eastern Canada (serving the eastern provinces of Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba and Saskatchewan) in the Newfoundland, Atlantic, Eastern & Central Time Zones, while the TBS Western feed in the U.S. would serve Western Canada (serving the western provinces of Alberta & British Columbia) in the Mountain & Pacific Time Zones. TBS carries original TV shows like American Dad!, Conan, Full Frontal with Samantha Bee, Search Party, The Guest Book, Drop the Mic, Snoop Dogg Presents The Jokers Wild, Final Space, The Last O.G and Miracle Workers. TBS also carries reruns of current and former network comedies, with these shows also airing in the evening and sporadically during the overnight hours. As of September 2018, these programs consist of Family Guy, Friends, Seinfeld, The King of Queens, The Big Bang Theory, New Girl, 2 Broke Girls and Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Most reruns shown on TBS are broadcast in a compressed format, with content sped up to accommodate additional time slots for advertising sales. TBS's sister cable network Turner Network Television carries original programming like Animal Kingdom, Good Behavior, The Last Ship, Claws and All Elite Wrestling: Dynamite. TNT also carries reruns of current and former network police procedural series such as Castle, Bones, NCIS: New Orleans, Charmed, Supernatural, Arrow and TNT mainstay Law & Order. TNT also carries NBA Basketball games (October to April). TNT is also home to major box office hit movies from 8 major movie studios Columbia, 20th Century Fox, MGM, Paramount, Screen Gems, United Artist, Universal and Warner Bros. Shaw Communications and Shaw Broadcast Services should apply to the CRTC in Gatineau, Quebec for authority to add the programming services of Turner Broadcasting System (TBS Cable Network) and Turner Network Television (TNT) into Canada.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
The CRTC needs to allow the US cable channel TBS first.

Yes they originally licensed WTBS as a superstation, then it transitioned into a defacto cable channel, which the CRTC said providers cannot carry, but must instead carry the still extant broadcast station. Same happened to WGN.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Almost all the original TNT and TBS programs and sports are held by other Canadian broadcasters so much of the TBS and TNT schedule would be different in Canada. That would leave little value to carrying these channels here. Same thing with WWOR. MyNetworkTV as far as I know doesn't even have original programs and much of the reruns again are on channels that are already available in Canada. Aside from WPIX and KTLA, there is very little value in any of the other "Superstations".

I've seen these types of posts before and much of it is chasing nostalgia when many areas of Canada sourced their US network feeds from the closest neighbouring US city. With the extensive fibre optic networks and satellite distribution, there is no need for different feeds all over Canada as much of the US feeds have been consolidated. For example, I don't think there are any providers that carry Erie, PA channels (Except for WQLN), Cleveland channels (Except for WUAB) or Toledo channels. Almost all of Southwestern Ontario has chosen to source signals from Detroit. In eastern Ontario, Syracuse and Rochester (Except for WUHF) are non-existent and I believe out east most providers no longer carry any stations from Maine and have since sourced from either Boston or Detroit.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
By far the best car-chase channel, right?
Hahaha! I guess so I don't watch those but other stuff in LA like recently with the Kobe Bryant helicopter crash but also there was the time when all weekend KTLA showed the Space Shuttle going from LAX to the museum! That was really interesting.

·
Registered
25 Posts
NHL Network was owned by TSN. When Sportsnet signed the boondoggle deal with the NHL, they got rights to nearly everything, except the local broadcasts for teams. There was no point in TSN keeping NHL network when they couldn't even do the live look-ins. The NHL got paid, but other than that, I think the deal has been a disaster on nearly all fronts.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
NHL Network was owned by TSN. When Sportsnet signed the boondoggle deal with the NHL, they got rights to nearly everything, except the local broadcasts for teams. There was no point in TSN keeping NHL network when they couldn't even do the live look-ins. The NHL got paid, but other than that, I think the deal has been a disaster on nearly all fronts.
Agreed. Not only are Canadian season ticket holders and Rogers supporting the 23 American teams, the American viewers get a kick-ass hockey channel, for free with most channel packages. Is it still produced in Toronto, or have they moved it to N.Y.? It’s obscene how much the American hockey fan gets thanks to Canada, and we get squat.

Edit: it’s in N.J. now https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_Network_(American_TV_channel)

Live view is awesome, kinda like NFL Red Zone

·
Registered
134 Posts
On the 830 you have the choice to display only the English, French or All, and i have my 830 pvr setup to English only, but Telelatino 801 does not show up on guide... it's not French, but is hidden on the guide?... it's multicultural, but often has english shows... I assumed that when I picked English only, that only the French channels would be hidden

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
1161 - 1180 of 1219 Posts