Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 1219 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
I find that a lot with the music channels I have in my favorites list one (last night all of them) were not showing up on my guide. If you punched in the channel # when the guide was one it would not go there but if you were on a show and punched the # in it would...strange glitch.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Duplicate HD channel listing on Guide?

Can anyone explain as to why there is so much duplicate HD channel listing on the guide.
eg 284&58 both NBC Detroit... 102&269 both TSN2... 281&130 both AMC plus many more
I find this very annoying and having to scroll through these extra channels makes no sense to me...
If i go and hide one of these duplicate channels then the other one is also hidden??
I know they used to have some sort of advanced/classic channel option for users... I dont even know if this still exists or what i have to be honest..

just my thoughts

thanks

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've noticed the same thing. I believe (and if I am wrong, feel free to correct me) that it is because they (Shaw Direct) introduced a new Classic Line-up and left the old one, so as not to confuse people. They could get rid of the the duplication and free up some space on the network. They could add some missing HD channels.

·
Super Moderator
56,436 Posts
There isn't any "space on the network" that is used by these duplications. The channels are simply "mapped" to different spots "on the dial". No additional bandwidth is required.

Rogers has lots of duplication of channels, but that's because they group the channels into segments like movies, news, children's channels, etc. I'm not sure if SD does that.

·
Registered
122 Posts
the 2 new HD Channels which were added today, CTV NN HD on 094 and E! HD on 088. We have the Digital Advantage package and we are not getting the CTV NN HD 94 (it is grey no subscription), we get the CTV NN in SD, just wonder if others are getting this channel in HD?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I remember seeing both feeds in my Advanced Lineup until recently. Grayed out, as I wasn't subscribed.
E! HD has potential. Kim Kardashian's leathered azz in HD. Woohoo! :grin

·
Registered
227 Posts
Can anyone explain as to why there is so much duplicate HD channel listing on the guide.
eg 284&58 both NBC Detroit... 102&269 both TSN2... 281&130 both AMC plus many more
I find this very annoying and having to scroll through these extra channels makes no sense to me...
If i go and hide one of these duplicate channels then the other one is also hidden??
I know they used to have some sort of advanced/classic channel option for users... I dont even know if this still exists or what i have to be honest..

just my thoughts

thanks
This issue has been discussed ad nauseam in another thread. I can't remember which one now, but probably one of the firmware upgrade threads. This has nothing to do with the advanced/classic lineup maps, but rather, when Shaw Direct launched the 3rd satellite they also reorganized their HD channel order, but for whatever reason also left the original numbering on some of these channels as well that existed prior to the 3rd satellite being launched.

So for example in the advanced lineup, TSN2 is on 311 AND 602. I'm guessing at some point they will remove 311 from the advanced map, who knows. The real annoying problem with this, is when setting up your favorites, if you choose say 602 it also automatically includes 311 and vice versa when you try to remove one. So you are stuck with both channel #'s in your guide/map. It's a fix I wish they would include soon, even if they aren't going to eliminate the duplicate mapping.

As 57 says, it doesn't actually take up bandwidth, it's just Shaw rearranging channel's so they fit into theme sections better, and not deleting the old #. Likely cause lots of people have the old #'s still set as timers, or PVR tapings, etc.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Looking for the TSN HD channel for the Grey Cup. Found the SD channels (422-425) but can't find the HD channels (at least I hope they are not HD channels). What channel are they on?

·
Registered
35 Posts
any chance we will ever get NFL Network HD...
love the channel, horrible to watch in SD
You're right, it is horrible to watch in SD, everything is horrible in SD. I'm looking forward to the day when everything is in HD. Shaw is way behind the others in providing HD content.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Then we were on the wrong channels. Tnx!
Agree too that the SD channels look terrable, must be 240 or 320i. 420i usually looks fairly good on our TV but the Shaw SD channels don't.
The HD is ok though. They should just forget about the SD channels, think the receivers will downconvert for older TVs... but I suppose there are older RF only TVs that won't have HDMI or composite inputs that receivers have to support... but it's likely a good time to start phasing out those receivers.
So much program repitition besides HD/SD programming, there must be a better way to deliver higher quality pictures.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
All modern receivers have RF Out, Composite and HDMI so any of them can be connected to any TV. The issue with Shaw Direct is they do not call the shots on which channels get carried. Shaw also has a commercial distribution arm called Shaw Broadcast which distributes signals to many cable systems in Canada. They dictate what gets carried on Shaw's transponders. This is why Shaw's HD channels on Anik F1R and F2 are still MPEG-2.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Only the DSR600 has RF out. The DSR630 has only composite A/V and HDMI.

A number of channels (mostly local broadcast stations) are there almost exclusively for home satellite viewers.

I don't think they will turn off SD channels to push customers to HD receivers, at least yet, just to get customers a better picture.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
There are plenty of TV's in kids rooms, bedrooms, den's, kitchens and cottages. Commercially - doctors offices, community centres and even some bars that have TV's that still use RF.

81 - 100 of 1219 Posts