Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 1208 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
WFN (World Fishing Network) and W Movies have appeared today, presumably on free preview, both SD. The two TSN 're-locate' channels have been removed, though oddly not the TSN alternate (113 Advanced), which is no longer in use. Speed SD and HD also completely removed. Channel count same as yesterday (760).

·
Registered
194 Posts
Those channels were already there in SD, but they have appeared in my guide this morning. I assume them to be on free preview, though they are not flagged as such in the guide, nor on the SD website.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have noticed that some channels are only available in SD. CMT, CTV2, WFN, W Movies are in Freeview, as noted in my IGuide. Why are these channels not available in HD?? Other providers have these channels in HD. Why doesn't Shaw Direct??

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
so what happened to Discovery Velocity? When did the FreeView end? Is it still on 279 East Classic, and the old satellites? Is it part of a decent package or a la carte?

·
Super Moderator
16,420 Posts
From the press release:
Discovery World is shifting gears to become Discovery Velocity... with an extended 48-day national freeview from Feb. 12 – March 31
According to the ShawD web site, Discovery Velocity is:
128 (Classic) 628 (Advanced)

Discovery World was in the HD Extra pack, so I expect it still is (just the name changed.)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
thanks. is 128 Classic a G1 channel? Or, do you have a link to the CURRENT G1 channel designations? I've been searching here and haven't found it yet

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
thanks a bunch. Shaw's web site really is pointless. I 'think' Velocity comes in a $5.99 package, but can't be sure as the link is dead on my i.OS device

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had a pop-up survey on the SD website not long ago asking to rate it and suggest improvements and so on. I suspect it will be made-over in the future to be more like (or even just the same as) the Shaw Cable website. That's not much better but it's a definite improvement on the current Shaw Direct site.

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
Its been sometime since I had SD, I can't remember but on the channel count(east or west)do they count all the channels available in either the East Or West(depending on where you are)on the system or do they just count the ones you sub to on your receiver?I know with Bell Fibe the count goes up and down mainly on the season?(NFL ST CI,Etc) either are added or dropped is it similar with SD?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Looks like from other providers that NHL Network and GolTV will be shutting down later this summer. Hopefully this will give Shaw D some bandwidth to add a couple more HD channels ????

·
Registered
122 Posts
regarding nhl network and goltv, they must be currently delivered in a format which is not mpeg4. if they can use the bandwidth using mpeg4 does that not give them more space (bandwidth) for new channels?

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Gol TV does have an HD feed but not on Shaw Direct. Both Gol TV and NHL Network are on MPEG-2 8PSK 38MB/sec transponders. All of the MPEG-4 transponders are 8PSK 45MB/sec transponders. There is still some room on some of the transponders on Anik G1 and I would expect that any new channels will likely go there for now. Shaw Broadcast is going to have to start changing the FEC rate on some of the Anik F2 transponders and start converting channels from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4. Where this is on Shaw Broadcasts timeline is anyone's guess.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Billy34 - use the website form and ask them to send in a channel request for you. The more, the better! (Not to say they have to listen to them mind).

Also, noted that 986 (3D PPV), 987 / 988 (French / English xKu Help) have vanished off the EPG. They are still accessible, just not listed. Not sure if they are planning to use the 3D PPV space elsewhere - the other two just point to an existing stream, so no space gained there. There may be an extra HD PPV channel, but I'm not 100% as I don't generally count them!

I can't understand how they can take off those channels, but not the 'Alternate' TSN (113 Advanced), which hasn't been used in a long time.

Oh, and aren't NHL Network and GolTV closing soon? I know bite is, and Teletoon Retro, though there's a rumour that Corus will use the same space to get Cartoon Network onto Shaw and Rogers. I'm also curious to see if Shaw will pick-up Disney Channel Canada.

EDIT: Looks like they are still showing 3D movies on 986. They're listed via the search function and in the PPV listings right up until August 28th. Perhaps an error?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am messaging Shaw a lot about what will happen with Teletoon Retro and Disney Channel and even other channels and here is what they said;
-Teletoon Retro will relaunch into Cartoon Network
-Disney Channel Canada launches
Both of these are a 90% chance
-Launch of Terror TV (When they confirm a release date)
-Launch of MavTV Canada
-Reworking of NFL, NBA and NHL channels
-Relaunches of Disney Junior and Disney XD in fall 2015

41 - 60 of 1208 Posts