Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
@LONSat is correct, all changes are seen to Shaw Direct customers on the second date listed for each step. We have roughly 35 HD channels coming this year (pending that all of them actually have an HD feed). Mostly locals after the few specialties on May 14th, with the rest of the lineup going HD in 2020 (again, providing the channels have an HD feed).

·
Registered
277 Posts
There's still a handful of channels that will have to be upgraded in early 2020 - believe we're targeting January, TBD though.

We've had bandwidth up for OHL Hockey games for Broadcast customers (IE not Shaw Direct subscribers). I figured if we have it, we might as well make it available to the Shaw Direct base as well.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'd imagine there will be at least some games! Schedule would be TBD based on what's available to us. With the rest of the upgrade chaos on my end, I haven't had time to fully investigate the details of what will be offered on the channel. I guess there wouldn't be anything scheduled on it until the 2019/2020 season anyhow.

Shaw Broadcast could be providing the signals to Cogeco to begin with, haha.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well, Spring has (mostly) come to us here in Calgary, so as promised, we're happy to have externally announced the new lineup!

https://www.shawdirect.ca/english/support/article/11498/

You can opt in on June 11th if you're Classic. If you're Advanced, you'll wake up to the new lineup on June 11th automatically. There are comparison PDFs through the Support link to support you in finding the new numbers. Please note, I've listed "HD" on all channels that will become HD by June 11th (so some won't be just yet).

Smart Recordings and Reminders won't be affected and will continue per usual, but any Manual Timers will need to be reset.

With this, another question that may have come up, after June 11th any new HD channel launches will be launched over their existing SD number in the Classic lineup, and then at the listed location in that article for "new Advanced".

...I hope I didn't just jinx Spring!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I was *just* coming here to edit my post around those, ha! I will mention that in order to keep the lineups to a front/back page, I didn't list Radio or Stingray (and PPV on the comparisons) as none of those channels will be changing numbers. They'll stay exactly as is today, as well as Adult channels.

Shaw Direct 299 is the only other channel that isn't changing that doesn't fit in one of those buckets.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Grouping is tough - we have successfully made small moves over the years (grouping Super Ecran, TSN, etc.), which we would opt to do in the future if a rebrand causes the location to no longer make sense. It's much easier doing onesie/twosie moves. At least this one time big shift gets us to a good spot and we'll cross the rebrand bridge when we get there. Gaps were left between themes to leave numbers open for the future. We imagine channels will continue to be decommissioned too (cease broadcasting) over the next few years, which will also provide holes to work with.

Thanks for the suggestions @LONSat - I actually watched both of those channels for a few days to get a better sense of the programming, but having them up at the top pushed higher watched channels just a bit too far down. We were thematically grouping while also considering popularity. All in all, it wasn't easy and it may not be perfect, but it's a heck of a lot better!

Action to Adult Swim was announced *just* before I finalized the lineup, so we did have to move it from the Movie channels, but it didn't really make sense at the "kids" section either. It's geared towards adult audiences so I believe I threw it near Much and FX (which commonly air The Simpsons and the like).

1000 channel numbers were looked at, thinking we could make the transition easier by duplicating the lineup in the 1000's, but with the new groupings. That plan didn't work out, mostly because (I'm sure most remember this when G1 launched...) channels having two numbers causes wonky things on the DSR, like duplicate listings in the Upcoming Airings screen. Then it's just as difficult to remove the legacy numbers anyway, so the idea was scrapped.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I know... If I convert them to a true PDF, the Shaw font goes wonky for some reason, it's been like that for years (and is quite annoying). I'll try again though and may just use a different font.

I'll be fixing them up today and will see what I can do.

P.S. - thank you =)

·
Registered
277 Posts
FYI - the PDFs online are getting updated as we speak, it's taking them a bit longer than usual to upload...
@goalsgo - ARTV HD will migrate off G1 to F2 on September 23rd before the SD is dropped on September 25th. From yesterday's changes, both ARTV and addikTV moved to F1R temporarily so they shouldn't be dropped as of yet (though are listed on SBS documents as dropping as they will no longer be available to SBS customers as of yesterday).
@LONSat - your custom channel list should be fine with the lineup migration, the DSR doesn't use the actual channel numbers for most software related features, it's using our internal "Source ID". Now, if you have any SD channels in your custom list, you'll have to make adjustments to move to the HD version (same with recordings on SD channels).
Correct - in the new lineup, all channels only have 1 channel number. If the channel is in SD still as of June 11th, it'll get its new channel number as SD until it converts to HD. For example, Global Peterborough will live in SD on channel 142, until August 13th when it'll convert to HD on the same channel 142.

·
Registered
277 Posts
@RuralRouter You should be able to swap your feed based on how the majority of our grandfathered programming codes work in our billing system - we have so many now though, LONSat is likely right that you got someone unfamiliar with an old code. Newer agents tend to get a bit nervous playing with them, as if they remove it, they literally cannot re-add it. They should know that they can swap components (like the Spokane versus Seattle feed) within the code without removing it, though.

·
Registered
277 Posts
No problem! No, grandfathered codes are removed from our billing system completely, so once they're removed from the account, they aren't even available for an agent to select anymore.

But, swapping feeds within a code doesn't require a full removal and re-add of the code, so it doesn't actually come off the account in this case and should be fine. I personally can't think of any billing codes for US Networks that wouldn't work this way, but I can always take a look if you'd like.

·
Registered
277 Posts
You just need a refresh (which won't affect your 605) - it's likely your 605 received an automated refresh after I implemented the subscription authorizations, and the 630 hasn't gotten one yet. Having said that though, we've been tying the authorizations to the SD channels which was maybe missed on those - I'll escalate either way, but it may take a day or two to implement. I would recommend just online refreshing for now.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Correct - it's tricky to launch HD channels as all receivers supposed to be subscribed need to get a refresh to bring in the authorization (which takes a LOT of time to work through all receivers and not bring down the system!) We have backend tricks to put in place to get around that that were just missed for these four. Sorry about that!

·
Registered
277 Posts
The only thing we're worried about is totally crashing the call centre when 65 SD channels drop in a single morning - we need to get ahead of the game as much as possible. I know the calls are annoying (and I'll see if we can create an internal Do Not Call list or something), but unfortunately you're in the minority bucket of "not wanting to upgrade". The majority of the LNBs left to upgrade need to do so to keep the same level of service they have today, and should do so.

Email reminders will begin to deploy again in June, so you'll definitely receive at least one more.

·
Registered
277 Posts
and what day is the target date to drop 65 SD channels, sometime shortly? That schedule which is posted online somewhere is somewhat vague. thanks.
Here's a brief overview of the upcoming (and final) steps - July 23rd, August 15th and September 23rd are the big dates.

June 4th
- 9 SD to MPEG-4 HD conversions (technically HD launches)
- 1 MPEG-2 SD to MPEG-4 SD conversion (APTN SD)
- 7 SD channels drop (already exist in HD)

June 25th
- 6 SD to MPEG-4 HD conversions (mostly PPV, and Playboy)
- 6 SD channels drops

July 16th
- 7 SD to MPEG-4 HD conversions
- 3 MPEG-2 SD to MPEG-4 SD conversions

July 23rd
- 65 SD channel drops

August 13th
- 7 SD to MPEG-4 HD conversions

August 15th
- 63 SD channel drops

September 4th
- 2 SD to MPEG-4 HD conversions
- 2 MPEG-2 SD to MPEG-4 SD conversions

September 18th
- 8 SD to MPEG-4 HD conversions

September 23rd
- 18 channels move from Anik G1 to Anik F2

September 25th
- 65 SD channels drops
- Stingray Audio becomes 8PSK

October 16th
- 1 SD to MPEG-4 HD conversion
- 1 MPEG-2 SD to MPEG-4 SD conversion

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well, brief in that I didn't list everything dropping, haha.

It's all what's been posted and available on SBS' website as well. There's three 60+ channel drop days, once that's done, the only SD feeds remaining only have an SD feed (and would convert to HD if/when the network launches an HD feed).

·
Registered
277 Posts
Channels that launched in HD today:
CBC Calgary (306C/015A)
CBC North (Yellowknife) (333/014)
CTV2 Atlantic (340/062)
CTV2 Vancouver Island (389/008)
CTV Ottawa (311/046)
CTV Sudbury (356/050)
Global Kingston (334/054)
OMNI.1 Toronto (343/042)