Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1261 - 1262 of 1262 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The 630 and 830 are very similar. It may work as an external device but seem to remember that they changed the type of connection the HD uses between the 630 and 830. If it does work you will lose all the contents on the drive when it is formatted for the 630. Drives get associated with the receiver and if there is anything on them they get wiped once hitched to the new receiver. You may even have to format the drive with another device first removing the initial Shaw format so that the 630 doesn't hiccup over the fact it looks like a mismatched HD.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Interesting question; use a hard drive, in an enclosure now serving a 630, to swap out the damaged hard drive inside an 830 DVR.

I once bought an enclosure and a hard drive to use as an external drive with a previous 630. I had to insert the drive inside the enclosure to its edge connector. My enclosure had both an E-SATA and a USB2.0 connector and cable.

If an out-of-warrantee 830 is damaged and needs a hard drive, I suppose that you have nothing to lose by trying to make the internal swap. You will quickly see if it will physically fit inside. Got the right screwdriver?

1261 - 1262 of 1262 Posts