Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1221 - 1240 of 1262 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Seems to gone even worse ~10 seconds unless going to a channel being recorded. So slow you often double push return to last channel & 20 seconds later a double change to where you started from
This was happeninng before the factory reset but is getting worse
Cure?

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 630 seems normal when I first turn it on. After about 20 to 30 mins the video goes blank but I can still hear sound. I'v unplugged it several times, and also held the power button to reboot it. It still seems to do the same thing. Anyone else had an issue like this.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Maybe there is some hope for a SSD (solid state drive) to be used as PVR recording media.

An excerpt from an article called "Endurance Experiment Writes One Petabyte To Six Consumer SSDs"

"The SSD Endurance Experiment previously covered on Slashdot has reached another big milestone: two freaking petabytes of writes."

Source:
Endurance Experiment Writes One Petabyte To Six Consumer SSDs - Slashdot

·
Registered
10 Posts
The SSD I used to replace a failing hard drive in my 630 is working well. I haven't had any problems since putting it in.

As my HD was degrading any function requiring HD access was getting slower and slower. Changing channels, scheduling a program, deleting a recording or starting a playback are all noticeably faster with the SSD.

I have no intention of going back to a hard drive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
630 no picture or sound

I purchased a 630 yesterday and was trying to set it up. I have all of the channel data but no picture or sound. Going to shaw for help is not an option. Can someone suggest possible solution.
Moe

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
You will have to contact Shaw at some point to activate the receiver, programming and make sure you have the right channel maps. What do you mean you have channel data but no video and sound? You get the programming guide but no tv channels are showing up? There are a few free channels... 094/392, 299, 741.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I had all guide data and good signal but no picture or sound after a power failure. Ultimately I did a hard restart (pulled plug for 30 seconds) and everything was fine after that.

·
Registered
210 Posts
i got a replacement 630 receive and it won't recognize my external hdd.

unplugged hdd
replaced HDD
reformated HDD
rebooted receiver about 5 times

NADA

thoughts?

·
Registered
554 Posts
This worked for me until I gave up on my external hard drive. There is a thread about this on the Digital Home website.

The 630 is supposed to just power up and provide help screens, but …

Anyway this worked for me:

Have External drive OFF, but connected to the 630 SATA connector.

Restart the 630 from the panel – soft-reboot.

Finger on the HDD power button.

After the 630 amber lights go back and forth for a short time and briefly pause for the first time, power on the HDD. Timing is everything.

This is not the way the instructions read to do it, but it worked for me when the proper way didn't work. At least this method causes no harm

Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Neighbour changes channels on a 630 pvr remotely. HOW DOES THIS WORK?

From the back of the Shaw Direct 630 PVR, red white yellow cables go into an rf converter which sends an rf signal on rg59 to a second TV in her kitchen, down stairs, about 30 meters away. Picture quality is just ok but does work.

Somehow she is able to change channels on the kitchen television using the PVR r/c.

I cannot see behind the unit. How is it possible to change channels on the kitchen tv?

One theory I have is that there is as another cable running out of the PVR uhf connection on the back of the unit and that runs downstairs to the small uhf antenna that comes with the 630 pvr? Would this work? Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
522 Posts
rony: At my old house, I had 75 ohm connecter to the UHF out on the 630, and had speaker wires that ran through the walls, so all the spare TVs could watch the PVR and change channels

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I don't understand the question. She is changing the channels on the PVR through the remote but upstairs?? The remote is not just IR but also UHF and so no problem. I was changing my neighbour's channels at one time years ago until I set up different codes.
Want to confuse an 80 year old neighbour who is a nice guy and quite tech saavy? Just find the right code and change his PVR constantly! :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
My 530 has an extension cable moving the uhf antenna into to rafters of my basement, my 630 is stock.

I change channels on both from the main floor and upstairs (two floors away from the receivers) no problem at all.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Well in prep for "vacation" decided to utilize the 630 a bit. It was off 5 month break at the beginning of Sept but I did very little at that point.
Well.......it died tonight. Would not play back anything smooth and when I tried a reboot it began a continuous reboot. Amazing how you can be happy and then ticked in short order. All is well and then it isn't! 5 years old. I guess it was time.
New one on the way.......no shipping fee after I seriously said if there was a shipping fee SD was gone from my life!

BTW 45+ minutes on hold because of course "we are important to them"

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just joined forum re 630. Bought new receivers from Shaw. Just activated a 630 and a 600. 600 working fine but 630 activated less than 2 weeks has been nothing but problems....reboots, turning off, switching channels, started playing a recorded program, freezing when watching.....all in all, a good paper weight. I've been a subscriber back to Star Choice. (Just shut off as writing this). I have another 630 to activate but thinking of sending it back for refund. I would not recommend anyone buying one until Shaw/Motorola produced a decent pvr...my 530 purchased on 2006 has been replaced once but none of current 630 problems.

1221 - 1240 of 1262 Posts