Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1121 - 1140 of 1262 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
The 630 works very well. It has it's miner bugs but in general it records everything I ask it too. The complaints you read here are from a very small part of the market. The manual that comes with the 630 is poor. You can find many tips and tricks on this site or SD has an updated manual online. The only miner issue I still get from time to time is pixeling and not the pixeling you see when the weather is bad but its an annoying half second or so of pixeling at regular intervals. Doesn't happen often but it's really annoying when it does happen. But overall you will be very happy with the 630!! It will just take abit of learning.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The 630 is typical of PVRs that are still under development. They tend to have bugs. They get fixed but then new bugs get introduced when new features are added. Once development stops and, hopefully, a couple of bug fix only updates are done, the PVR is stable and relatively bug free. Bell's PVRs reached the stable, relatively bug free stage about when Shaw introduced the 630. The 630 is still undergoing development so it will have problems. Hopefully, the 630 will become stable before Shaw introduces new hardware and loses interest in fixing it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks guys

Thanks for replies guys. ScaryBob: Quote "Hopefully, the 630 will become stable before Shaw introduces new hardware and loses interest in fixing it." --Gees I sure hope so or I wont be a happy camper!

·
Registered
13 Posts
630 installed

My new 630 receiver was installed and set up yesterday. Updated to 7.33 firmware and so far all seems to be ok. The only issue I am having is that whites are blown out as in an over exposed picture. Cannot seem to correct it through TV controls. At present it is connected via HDMI. Also tried the red,green and blue cables and that made little or no difference in the brightness of the whites. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Did a search and all I could find was something about RGB and YCbcr settings but can find any settings to adjust those.
Chuck

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've been having reception issues sometimes with HD channels. Eg. CBC HD right now is just a mess of colours, no sound. Usually all I get is a little pixelation and sound cut-out every few minutes. It's happened on one of the sportsnets, but when I switch to another it fine. NBC, ABC, CBS, and FOX have done it too. I end up watching the SD feed. It's been happening for the past few weeks. Not too often, just enough to piss me off.

Signal for sig 1 right now, with CBC HD gone, is 96 with Ecb of 8.1. Authorization status is S. Sometimes I've seen NA for either sig 1 or sig 2.

Edit: Actually it's all HD channels now. Navigation is slow/delayed. Guess i'll try a FPR.

·
Registered
551 Posts
My new 630 receiver was installed and set up yesterday. Updated to 7.33 firmware and so far all seems to be ok. The only issue I am having is that whites are blown out as in an over exposed picture. Cannot seem to correct it through TV controls. At present it is connected via HDMI. Also tried the red,green and blue cables and that made little or no difference in the brightness of the whites. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Did a search and all I could find was something about RGB and YCbcr settings but can find any settings to adjust those.
Chuck
Maybe a silly question, but could it be your TV picture presets? I know mine has a number of different settings and if I put it on "dynamic," for example, it's so bright it's ridiculous. I know you said "TV controls," but I'm not sure you meant that...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Maybe a silly question, but could it be your TV picture presets? I know mine has a number of different settings and if I put it on "dynamic," for example, it's so bright it's ridiculous. I know you said "TV controls," but I'm not sure you meant that...
Thanks,TheHans, for the reply. I have the settings on the TV set to 'Standard (user)' where you can adjust all settings individually and it also has access to some advanced settings. Have spent a lot of time tweaking these settings and for the most part it now seems quite acceptable but sometimes it makes a mess of peoples faces as in one side will be very over exposed. Other than that I am very pleased with its operation and 'Knock wood' am having no other issues although I haven't really played a lot with recording shows but what I've done so far has worked great. Again thanks for the reply and have a Great day!

·
Registered
468 Posts
630 odd last night

Weird behaviour last night.

I turned on the box/tv and avr, blank screen no sound. Hmmm. Check hdmi cables, made sure inputs were correct, powered off 630 and powered back on. Still no picture/audio

Soft reset.

Picture came back with sound, after 5 mins the image/sound froze. Nothing would fix it, not even changing channels... (all Standard Def btw- local news)

Soft reset.

Came back on all was fine. Even the recoding of the SD local news continued.

Then I tried to 'stop' the recording. Nothing. Show just kept on recording until the timer ended.

This is the first issue Ive had in a long time!

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I turned on the box/tv and avr, blank screen no sound.
Same think here. In this case a channel change fixed the problem. I wonder if Shaw has been rearranging channels between transponders.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've been having reception issues sometimes with HD channels. Eg. CBC HD right now is just a mess of colours, no sound. Usually all I get is a little pixelation and sound cut-out every few minutes. It's happened on one of the sportsnets, but when I switch to another it fine. NBC, ABC, CBS, and FOX have done it too. I end up watching the SD feed. It's been happening for the past few weeks. Not too often, just enough to piss me off.
So today I'm having these issues with all the football games on the American channels and TSN/NBC with the Ryder Cup. It's almost unwatchable. Happens during all my HD recordings too. Every thirty seconds or so.

Tuner 1 is NA while tuner 2 is S. Signal strength is 94 for both with ecb of 7.5/7.4.

This is on my 630. The 605 upstairs has no problems from the little I've watched it. Any ideas?

EDIT: Now it is almost totally frozen. Tuner 1 is now S while tuner 2 is NA. Ecb on 1 is down to 6.8. The problem is not happening on the 605. Sportsnet est comes in but not ontario. I guess it's the receiver?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Those ecb numbers are a bit on the low side for a 630. Maybe a dish repoint is required.
As I was playing around with it I noticed that when I changed to the channel that was a mess of lines and colours and frozen, the status' for tuner 1 and two alternated from S to NA. When I changed to the bad channel the ecb plummeted from about 8.6 to 6.9. Changing back to the other swapped the status' and the ecb began to climb. Both were HD channels.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
If the same channel has radically different numbers on different tuners, it could be a bad cable, LNB or tuner. Try swapping the cables at the receiver and the LNB to diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It looks like its starting now. Sun Transit Calculator

Also Power cuts threat as sun storm hits earth
Daily Mail said:
At least one satellite has already been knocked out of action by the storm. Japan's space agency said its Kodama communications satellite had been temporarily shut down after malfunctioning.
However, the dropouts we are describing are much different that those caused by loss of signal due to weather or solar transit.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Was about to call SD because when I got home today it was ridiculously bad. I decided to do a front panel reset before i phoned. After two FPR's it seems to be fine for now. I switched the cables from tuner 1 to 2 and back again before the FPR. Did nothing.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Unplugging for a minute, resetting options to defaults or performing a factory reset can also help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Need a PVR flush

My pvr list is 90 % full even tho it says it is empty so must have a bunch of hidden programs still taking space. How do I do a pvr flush to get rid of them?

1121 - 1140 of 1262 Posts