Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1021 - 1040 of 1262 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Is there any way when you hit the guide button and then goto a specific channel to show all the shows on that specific channel only?

If I want to see what's on TSN I have to keep hitting the right button or FF button.

My Shaw cable box use to be able to do that. It would list all the shows in a vertical direction.

Also, when you do a title search how do you get it to show all the channels that the show is on? Mine will only show one channel and sometimes it's a channel I don't get.

I liked my old shaw cable box better. I miss the "swap" button and "live" button.

Otherwise it works fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well....until about 3 weeks before Christmas, we had been lucky with our 630 which we have had since Aug. when we made the switch to Shaw from Rogers. I have read of so many issues that others have had with this PVR but we had been quite pleased with ours....however starting in December we started noticing the so-called pixellation that we had yet to experience. The remote started acting up in that it was getting slower for the over to react to the button presses. A Week before Christmas, a 30 minute recorded show was showing as over 900 minutes in the recordings list and had an icon that apparently means "broken". I deleted the recording but after that the unit seemed to be even worse with lags of over 20 seconds sometimes for remote to cause an action on the pvr and sometimes I couldn't even shut it off unless holding the power button in to cause a reboot. The pixellation was also absolutely rediculous and with audio drops constantly.

We finally contacted Shaw tech support who guided us through a complete wipe of the unit (took 3 tries before it worked). They told us they would make a note that if there continues to be problems they will send a new one out.

It has been fine for a couple days now but tonight after rewinding (so we are now watching the buffered video from the hard drive) the pixellation was returning along with the freezing and audio drops. This thing is crap!

Question now is should I ask for a replacement or will that be a waste of time since it seems to me that most of these units eventually run into this problem? My wife is quite pissed that I made the switch to Shaw Direct. I was trying to save us some money but she keeps reminding me "you get what you pay for". Sigh!

·
Registered
7 Posts
*Update* Well we couldn't take it any longer. The freezing and pixellation while watching video from the hardrive (rewind, or recorded) was terrible last night and again tonight so another phonecall to tech support.

I was fully expecting them to simply send me a new device based on the fact the last guy said he would place a note on my file. Well.....tonights support guy decided he wanted to try a few things first, so the fun began. After 4 attempts at resetting, with no luck.....plus having me swap the inputs between the 2 tuners, the unit ended up in a perpetual start - reset loop.....to which the guy finally said, "You're unit is defective and I will send a new one out as a replacement". Thanks for coming out buddy. The best part was when he said it would take 5 to 6 days for it to arrive :eek:. So because buddy wanted to play superhero, I am now without TV for 5 to 6 days while waiting for the replacement...(thank God I have an OTA setup and a TIVO HD for at least the local channels).

Can't wait to see how the rest of this story plays out once the replacement arrives. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
10 Posts
RE: Anybody Actually Not Have a Shaw Direct Problem? YUP!

"I want to hear from someone who has Shaw Direct and does not have a problem. There might be someone out there. "

OK.. Been a Star Choice / Shaw Direct customer for about 13 or more years.
Customer service has always been A1.
I've always upgraded my recievers to the newest as soon as they were available. And get this, in all the years. NO PROBLEMS

Yup, NONE, ZILCH, ZERO, NADA.... U get the picture.

I have friends with Bell, well this thread would be the same for them..

People are always willing to complain and wine, rarely is good new posted, even more rare in a forum.

Shaw, great job!

Paul V

·
Registered
61 Posts
Never a Real Problem in over 10 years

I have 2 630's, 2 605's and 2 600's and have never had any problems. Both my 630's replaced 530's which I had only had minor problems with. I have been really fortunate with my hardware. I do get frustrated with the lack on HD and the failure to keep up with other providers in what is offered but I can't complain about my hardware. A few years ago I had one 505 which died and was replaced with no costs incurred.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I've been getting dropouts all week. It's the "two HD recordings at once" issue. I've tried switching timers around to prevent the issue but it doesn't seem to make much difference. This PVR is totally FUBAR as far as simultaneous HD recordings are concerned. The way networks schedule programming, it's very difficult to avoid such conflicts. The PVR pretty much sits idle 22 hours a day and then there are 3 or 4 popular shows on at the same time.

·
Registered
187 Posts
There are several new shows this upcoming week on HistoryHD that are not marked as 'NEW' in the guide (IRT for example) when if fact they are. This seems to be an on going issue with the guide....enough with the excuses how it's not Shaw providing the guide, just get it right.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
There are several new shows this upcoming week on HistoryHD that are not marked as 'NEW' in the guide (IRT for example) when if fact they are. This seems to be an on going issue with the guide....enough with the excuses how it's not Shaw providing the guide, just get it right.
Go figure they base their new receivers around the guide and yet the customers cannot count on the entire guide to be reliable...

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Guide issues are common with Bell TV as well. As often as not, it's the fault of the TV stations for providing incomplete or inaccurate guide data. A lot of these stations don't have complete or correct data on their web sites either. It's little wonder that Canadian specialty TV stations are making record profits. They're too cheap to buy decent programming or to hire people to create proper program info for the crap they do air. Excuse or not, bad guide data is often not the fault of the 630 or Shaw Direct.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Basing superduper programming on flawed guides is their fault though isn't it. It's up to them to make it work properly.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
And just how are they going to provide a correct guide if the stations provide incorrect or incomplete programming data? Crystal balls only work in fantasy movies.:confused:

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Well as a long time customer I just spent 1 hour plus on the phone with 1 of 2 630's pixellating and I'm paying the multi-receiver fee. Today they told me that unwatchable news twice in one day on HD and SD, even though the other 630 was fine......is normal!. Went to a supervisor, same thing. Asked to cancel and "relations" can't overide the "no replacement". So even though I pay t'he fee, no replacement. I have cancelled my service. I will either have no TV or watch the odd netflix movie.
At the end of cancelling I even got the canned "Is there anything else I can help you with today?"

I am done!:(:mad:

The solution to this problem was obviously a replacement for this particular 630, since the other works, cables have been swapped, tried a different multiswitch, tech re-aimed and the signal has never been as strong.

PS on the guide...I meant perhaps the option of manual recording with proper labelling as in the past could have been kept as an option!
Scary..... ;-)

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Well I just moved from Bell to Shaw because my picture quality was poor on SD channels and pricing was cheaper with Shaw. I have no issues with Shaw at the present time, I am using the 630 receiver.

·
Registered
187 Posts
And just how are they going to provide a correct guide if the stations provide incorrect or incomplete programming data? Crystal balls only work in fantasy movies.:confused:
Wait. We're not talking about a crystal ball here....I can glance at the guide and pickup on multiple errors. We also know what the problem channels have been (Spike, Histroy & The Score). You're telling me they can't have someone at Shaw stay on top of that and contact the stations or guide providers pointing out errors and remind them how important it is for them to provide accurate information? At the end of the day doesn't the stations want people watching their shows? When 'SD 630 Support' used to post on here he would ask us to provide situations when the 'NEW' tag wasn't there and he said they would forward that info to the proper people (was a issue on Spike with 'The Ultimate Fighter'). If they can't do anything about it, why would he ask for it?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The only thing I can suggest is that you submit guide errors to Shaw directly. Some people have success with the Ask Jim contact feature.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I would edit my above post if I could, but here's the update. I did email ask Jim and a replacement 630 is on the way and my account will be set to active once more..
Got a call as a result of the email and had a decent conversation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, I've been running a 630 for just over 2 weeks, and I have a couple observations/questions I hope I can get some help with. Just for a little background info, I switched to SD from cogeco, and had the Pace HDPVR.

1. The 630 is significantly slower than the pace box. Slow when browsing through the guide, slow when setting a recording.

2. I cannot pause a live show, then switch to another channel while maintaining channel 1 in pause mode. This is something i used to do with the cogeco pace box. Now when I pause and try to change channels, it unpauses my program first. This leads me to another question - Is there an option/button to 'swap' tuners?

3. The guide is very ugly, and too bright with the white borders. This causes almost instant burn-in on my plasma. This has become a constant annoyance now, and was never a problem with my cogeco pace box - it had more of a darker/blue interface. Hopefully there are other color schemes somewhere, and I am missing that option?

Any comments/answers/feedback would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
551 Posts
I would edit my above post if I could, but here's the update. I did email ask Jim and a replacement 630 is on the way and my account will be set to active once more..
Got a call as a result of the email and had a decent conversation.
I'm glad you were able to resolve your issue. I often say it's the luck of the draw with customer care. You obviously didn't draw well on that one day. Glad it worked out. Just make sure you don't get charged to have your account reactivated. :)

The Hans

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think this is a known issue with the 600 series receives, but I just want to confirm. I have a 630 PVR and a DSR600. Once in a these receivers will drop the signal and say acquiring signal please wait. Other times it will say subscription required on subscribed channels. Most time this corrects itself within a day or so. Really annoying! I also have the problem that the guide is all messed up and the channels don't match. I have checked the cables with a Coax tester and the dish is good. Any one have any ideas.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Do you have direct cables coming from the dish to each receiver? No splitters?

Sounds like your channel mapping might be mixed up. Phone up SD and do a couple of rehits. This can be done without talking to anyone. Or you can do the rehits/refreshes from the Self Serve section of the SD website.

1021 - 1040 of 1262 Posts