Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

381 - 400 of 1262 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Power hit issue

Here's a new one on me. I was away for the weekend and yesterday morning I happened to call a neighbour and she mentioned they had just had a momentary power hit. (maybe a second or so)

I thought "here we go: what am I gonna find on my 2 630s when I get home." Arrived back this afternoon to find they had recorded everything requested last night, and one earlier this aft, but not another that I had scheduled.
Went to the future recordings menu, and all my "record new" or "record all" settings were gone.
I thought maybe a soft reset would fix it, but no. Then, I set an individual recording for later tonight. I adjusted the timer to add a couple minutes to the end. At that point, I noticed the record light came on. It was suddenly recording the afternoon show that wasn't recording when I got home. I check the future recording menu again and all the scheduled recordings instantly returned.

So, I went to the other 630 and did the same. I scheduled a recording for this evening, but nothing happened. Then I adjusted the timer to add some time to the end and BOOM, all the future scheduled recordings came back.

Very Strange. Anyone have something similar happen?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Very creative TQ345 - I've experienced the same thing as you if you check back a few posts where I write about it. I wondered why it hadn't recorded something I knew I had put down as "Record New Shows" and it didn't. When I went to to check in the PVR upcoming recordings there was nothing there - they were all gone. I didn't think to try what you did though. I tried the soft reset and that didn't work. So, no, you are not alone in the disappearing recurring recordings. Count me in as a member of that club. If I have it happen again, I'll try what you did.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Failed to record

Pretty disappointed tonight. I get home from work ready to watch the days recordings and I find it didn't record last nights Letterman (Hd-PST) and this mornings Cheers (HDNET, 6 and 6:30am). There wasn't anything else scheduled at that time.

·
Registered
721 Posts
After reporting on here that I've had no problems for over 3 weeks,and now this past week 2 glitches in 4 recording attempts.First one was a reboot in the middle of a recording and then tonight the dreaded tuner freeze so no recording of No Ordinary Family.Will have to change it to a west coast record now which will set me up for a duel recording,so we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is quite ridiculous for "The most advanced PVR". I was worried that my 630 was defective, but tuner lockups and pixelization are the norm. I recorded the fox cartoons on Sunday, and they all had pixelizations and audio drop outs. It ruined every other joke because of missing words. This is from the recorded show, so it happened on encoding.

I could tolerate this if they gave them out for testing purposes, but this is just poor business practice to not only release a product in this poor state, but to make people pay for it too!

·
Registered
187 Posts
This is quite ridiculous for "The most advanced PVR". I was worried that my 630 was defective, but tuner lockups and pixelization are the norm. I recorded the fox cartoons on Sunday, and they all had pixelizations and audio drop outs. It ruined every other joke because of missing words. This is from the recorded show, so it happened on encoding.

I could tolerate this if they gave them out for testing purposes, but this is just poor business practice to not only release a product in this poor state, but to make people pay for it too!
I recorded them as well and what I found strange was The Simpsons had pixelization & audio drop outs every few seconds (completely ruined the show), The Cleveland Show had a few throughout while Family Guy was perfect.
I just don't know....

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I recorded them as well and what I found strange was The Simpsons had pixelization & audio drop outs every few seconds (completely ruined the show), The Cleveland Show had a few throughout while Family Guy was perfect.
I just don't know....
I recorded the Simpsons on Fox east HD and had no audio drops or pixelation on our DVR530.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm having some ongoing problems that I can't figure out. They are not dire, but they sure are annoying… can anyone shed some light? Am I doing something wrong?

Some shows set to record ALL record the same episodes multiple times Why does it do this? Guide data lists the episode…
ie. I have Haven set to record ALL eps. So it records Haven ep "Spiral" Monday at noon, then it records Haven " Spiral" again at 10pm.

Deleting these multiple recordings by selecting "do not record this episode" in the upcoming list only deletes that episode at that time - the 630 then goes ahead and reschedules it at a later time, so I have to keep deleting that episode until it is no longer on. (Am I doing something wrong here?)

I'd like to be able to set a program to record all, but not to start recording all until a specified date. ie. I want to record Buffy, but not until Wednesday when season one starts again. (Am I missing this ability?) Right now I set it up and had to manually remove episodes by "do not record this episode" and again, I had to remove the same episode three times because it kept rescheduling it for a later time, instead of skipping recording of that episode -- isn't that what "do not record this episode" should do?

On a good note, no tuner lockups, reboots or need for soft resets in 2.5 weeks, no pixellation and no missed recordings this week.

And just to say, I don't regret buying the 630, I'm happy with it, love the extended guide and love the series record function. My initial problems with the 630 seem to have smoothed out -- tuner lockups and reboots are rare for me now (touch wood).
Hi ElenaH,

Glad to hear things have smoothed out.

1) Haven
I just tried to reproduce this as follows:
- Access Title Search and search for HAV
- Select "Haven" from the results and select "Record all episodes"
- After the PVR schedules, select "View upcoming air dates"

For all airings except the MysteryTV ones, the PVR has the correct "duplicate episode" (X) symbol on the repeat airings. MysteryTV is scheduled to record at both 8:00AM MT and 8:00PM MT on Friday Oct 15 because MysteryTV has not provided any episode information. The PVR doesn't know if the 8pm episode is different than the 8am one, so will air on the side of caution and air them both.

If you're seeing duplicates scheduled on Showcase or Showcase Diva, I wonder if you maybe have 2 Recording Events set for the program? Double check PVR/Options and ensure Haven is only listed once.

2) Do Not Record this Episode
You're not doing anything wrong. Selecting "Do not record this episode" in PVR/Upcoming really means "Do not record this episode at this time on this channel". So the PVR will reschedule if it airs at a later time or on a different channel.

Personally, we've found that tweaking recording settings to prevent the scheduling of episodes you don't want, or simply allowing it to record and deleting it later are easier than unscheduling them from PVR/Upcoming.

3) Future Recording Starts
This is supported through the "Record new episodes" function. You can leave a series recording over the summer and it'll simply sit there until it finds New episodes again.

"Record all episodes" will always be looking for (and probably finding) episodes, so will continue to generate recordings. There isn't a way to have this engage/disengage on a particular day automatically, you can simply delete and recreate it as desired.

Thanks!

·
Registered
114 Posts
First of all, I'm sick of remaining on hold with SD support, purportedly for "4 to 6 minutes", and having to hang up after 15 minutes of endless hold. Please fix that.

Second, I decided to record all the new Parking Wars episodes last night, so I set a series record. Now the second episode recorded at Tue 12 10:30PM EDT won't play. I hit play, and it's just a black screen. I try to fast forward, and it sticks on 3 seconds. I once got a screen saying the recording was locked or something.

I feel bad for all the suckers that paid $399 + shipping + HST for this thing. I feel ripped off at $99 + HST.

·
Registered
75 Posts
First of all, I'm sick of remaining on hold with SD support, purportedly for "4 to 6 minutes", and having to hang up after 15 minutes of endless hold. Please fix that.

Second, I decided to record all the new Parking Wars episodes last night, so I set a series record. Now the second episode recorded at Tue 12 10:30PM EDT won't play. I hit play, and it's just a black screen. I try to fast forward, and it sticks on 3 seconds. I once got a screen saying the recording was locked or something.
Try doing a soft reset on the box. I had this happen to me once awhile ago and reset the receiver seemed to fix it. As far the wait to tech support, try contacting any other call center and you're most likely going to run into the same issue. The estimate is just that...a estimate...it's going off of what the average was before you called

·
Registered
301 Posts
And to add to the mystery, my 630 recorded The Simpsons, Cleveland Show, and Family Guy off FOXEHD (while also recording The Amazing Race off CTVHD). I watched both Simpsons and Cleveland Show last night and didn't notice any issues.

I'm re-watching the same Simpsons (recorded from FOXEHD) on one of my other 630's right now, and it's also perfect. (I also watched about 10 minutes recorded off the bedroom 630 with no issues noticed either).

As mentioned earlier, the pixelization issue is not consistent from program-to-program or receiver-to-receiver. Please continue to provide details as we work to get to the bottom of this one.

EDIT: One more thing - We had a Customer who was experiencing frequent pixelization report that by powering off the receiver when not using it, the issue went away. That may be worth a try if you're leaving the receiver on all the time and seeing this issue.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ran into this last night:
Was watching a live show at about 7:45 pm that ended at 8 and had to put the daughter to bed. Came back at about 8:02 and tried to rewind back to where I left off, but it would only rewind back to 8:00 pm when the new show started.

Has anyone else come across this? I used to do this all the time when watching live tv with the 530 and never encountered this before.

I haven't tried just pausing it but I will try that tonight and let it run into a new show. Although I would prefer not pausing and leaving he same image on the screen for that amount of time.
When a new program starts, I found if you use the rewind function, it will take you past the start of the new program. The skip back won't go past the new program.

·
Registered
235 Posts
SD 630 Support

1) Haven - Duplicate episodes
I record it on ShowcaseHD. I don't have two recording events set. Each week the guide info for Haven on Showcase HD has listed an episode title. Each week it records it at Monday at noon and then again at 10pm the same day.

*It also does this for Burn Support on ShowcaseHD every week. It also does this for Dead Like Me on Dusk every week. There is always an episode title listed and I don't have 2 recording events set for any of them.

*Also, these duplicate episodes aren't shown in the upcoming list all the time. Before it records the first time, only one of each episode is in my upcoming list. After it has recorded the episode for the first time, then I notice that it schedules itself to record again. Even though that same episode is in my PVR list, already recorded.

Info: I have Haven and Burn Notice set to record ALL episodes only on ShowcaseHD and Dead Like Me set to record ALL episodes only on DUSK.

Any further ideas?

2) and 3)
I understand. I think the recording options for shows that are not NEW -- or this is especially important -- are not listed as NEW in the guide on a consistent basis so you can't actually use NEW -- are severely limited. I'd love to see this expanded in the future to include things like:
• do not record this episode (any time, any channel)
• do not start recording all until a specific date
and I'm dreaming here, but I'd love the ability to:
• record only a particular season of an older show. I think this would require expanded show information. ie. Season 1: episode 1

·
Registered
551 Posts
We got our new 630 today to replace our first 630, which was a spontaneous reboot machine. Shaw Direct's idea was that for some reason it took in the signal improperly, so that the signal was weak. Prior to activating the new one, we checked the strength and Eb/Nos for the first one. As far as I could tell, the strength of the new one is the same -- not a good sign. The CSR commented that our Eb/Nos seemed particularly low on 256, which is on that second satellite.

But here's the worse sign -- during the activation, the CSR wanted me to go to that channel 256. When I pushed the "2" on the remote, it rebooted. The CSR remarked that it probably had to do with it not having the software download yet. Once we got off the phone, it rebooted again for no particular reason, as we weren't doing anything with it at all. I decided to force the download in the hope that this will stabilize it. We haven't sent the first one back yet. That might be a good thing.

The CSR said at some point that, when we had the service call, the technician might not have checked the signal for both satellites. I honestly don't know. But this isn't encouraging...

The Hans

·
Super Moderator
56,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #397
TheHans. As we have stated on this forum to you several times, after replacing a couple of STBs, you have to realize that the problem is not the STB. It doesn't even sound like it's environmental (heat for example) since it just happened quite quickly - heat's a killer for electronics, but it takes a while.

There must be something about your location that's causing all these STB problems. I don't know what it's going to take to resolve it, but I don't believe any more STBs will do the trick, since you've been through so many - what is it now 7-8?

·
Registered
551 Posts
TheHans. As we have stated on this forum to you several times, after replacing a couple of STBs, you have to realize that the problem is not the STB. It doesn't even sound like it's environmental (heat for example) since it just happened quite quickly - heat's a killer for electronics, but it takes a while.

There must be something about your location that's causing all these STB problems. I don't know what it's going to take to resolve it, but I don't believe any more STBs will do the trick, since you've been through so many - what is it now 7-8?
It's five 530s, with #5 working for over a year now (touch wood). It's one 630, now two. There have been a variety of different problems, line problems, problems that with 99% certainty did have to do with the receivers. Respectfully, if you can suggest something that could be at our location that could be causing this, something Shaw Direct was unable to find/diagnose/fix after an extensive service call two weeks ago, I'd certainly be happy to try fixing it. Obviously, I get no enjoyment out of this situation. I'd really like our 630 to work.

The Hans

381 - 400 of 1262 Posts