Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
I signed up with Shaw Direct in 2009, with the Atlantic Extra Value Package (same as "OVP"). When this got too expensive I replace the "Extra Value Package" part with Sports only. I then went further, and switched to "le classique" in early 2011. at the time this package was shown on the website. it has SD Ottawa and Quebec Canadian networks, Spokane SD US networks, and lots of quebec french OTA (V/TVA in HD) channels. For HD it has CTV, Global, and CBC, and Detroit US networks. It even includes RDS HD. This package is $20 and you can add anything to it. So I added Sports ($4.99, includes OLN in SD) and HD Sports ($5.99 or $6.99 at the time, it would probably make sense to pony up for HD Extra and get HGTV etc). Then the multi-reciever fee is another $5.99. I had the Seattle US nets as well, I'm not sure if this was because I had HD Sports.

Long story short, this got all the sports channels (including RDS), canadian east nets, east/west US nets, all in HD for 20+5+7 (+6 multi-receiver). It was/is easily the best deal going. I didn't get my local canadian affiliates and picked them up over the air analog instead. Since its a French pacakge there is no CNN or CTV news network, Weather Channel is in French, but you still get CBC News Network. My bills were still in English.

I left shaw direct when I moved over a year ago, and when I signed up for "le classique" the csr made a big deal "i'm not really supposed to do this...". I don't see it on their website or brochures anymore either. But it might be worth a call to try? I had selected French in the phone tree (I tried to order it in french but she switched to english when she heard my accent .. heheh)

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have just ordered Shawdirect to take to Florida in October. I will be starting with the Digital Indulgence Lite package. If there is anyone in Florida with Shawdirect at the present time, would you please let me know what channels you get? There appears to be some confusion on their website. I live in Ontario.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I think you will get the exact same channels as you are getting NOTB. Just make sure you get the 75 cm dish from Shaw before you head down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think Ralph Sinclair found a way.

Actually I have talked to a few reps and it seems like there is a basic package available to newcomers and it allows you to add on. Base price is $29 plus $5 sports pack + $7 HD sports pack + 6 receiver fee. I was quoted just over $47 plus tax. The channels are pretty basic but you can add on the other packs to it.

The two things that worry me are the channel lineup is weak and how quickly and often will they raise the prices. From what I read they are increasing prices every few months..... That sucks.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
it seems like there is a basic package available to newcomers and it allows you to add on. Base price is $29
There is. It is called the Digital Value Pack for $28.99. It was $22 just a year or so ago. That is all the Ontario Value Package is: DVP @ $28.99 and Extra Value Pack at $19.99.

Even with OVP, my bill is $28.99+$19.99+$5.99(multi Receiver)+$10.99(HD Combo)+$2.49(Pick and Pay) for at total of $78.51. I see the CRTC Local Program Fund is still added for $1.03.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks. A $7 increase within a year is unacceptable for me. I'll stay away from Shaw. Too many price increases happening way too fast.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm trying to do a side by side comparison of digital indulgence versus digital favorites. Can somebody please tell me what the difference is other than price? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
DF doesn't have Dejaview and CP24 but includes Fox News Channel, Nat Geo Wild, Miracle and all the time shifting channels.
DI includes Dejaview and CP24 but doesn't include Nat Geo Wild, Fox News Channel, Miracle and most of the timeshift OTA broadcasting channels from the west except for Vancouver and Calgary.
All the other specialty channels in these 2 packages are pretty well the same. DI Lite has about 10 or so less specialty channels than DI.

·
Registered
227 Posts
EAHD

So here's a weird "glitch" I thought I'd pass on for folks in the West:

We all know that EA2 is part of most packages including English Essentials, yet Encore Avenue 1 is 9.99/month standalone, or 2.99/month if you have Movie Central. If you order EA1, then EAHD is included free.......but.....the weird thing I noticed the other day is that EAHD on it's own is listed as a potential pick and pay option. So I called because I wanted to order NFL Network as a pick and pay, and sure enough, I could add EAHD for an additional 50 cents, even though I don't have Movie Central, or EA1. So like, EAHD comes in great for 50 cents like I said, but the standard def version does not. So like......why would anyone pay 9.99/month for EA1 standard def, if the HD version can be a pick and pay?

Again, could be a glitch maybe in their packages, but it worked fine when I called in.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Are you saying that you can get EAHD (1) for $0.50 without any other programming requirement? Do you need to have any paid HD services?

Can anyone else confirm this? Don't really want to spend an hour on hold to be called a lunatic.

Where exactly is it listed as a pick and pay option?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Are you saying that you can get EAHD (1) for $0.50 without any other programming requirement? Do you need to have any paid HD services?
These EAHD films are all obviously not new films. Do you have an available laptop or desktop with an HDMI connection? If so, you could easily watch any of the films available on EAHD online and view them on your TV. And it doesn't even cost 50 cents.

·
Registered
227 Posts

Can anyone else confirm this? Don't really want to spend an hour on hold to be called a lunatic.

Where exactly is it listed as a pick and pay option?
If you go to Shaw Direct site, and view all programming, you can see near the bottom that it's listed as a pick and pay (it has the flashing red star by it). I couldn't say if having other HD programming is a requirement because I do have HD Combo, but I can say that you don't need to be subscribed to EA (1) to JUST order the EAHD station as a pick and pay. Point being - Who would pay 9.99 for EA (1) when you can get the equivalent HD channel as a pick and pay? But IT IS a pick and pay station listed on their own website, and I had no issues adding it as pick and pay when I called.

I know people complain about long wait times, but when I called a couple days ago around dinnertime, I go through in like 2 minutes, no joke. Just got lucky I guess?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sorry yes, when I said it was 50 cents I thought I was clear that this was the case due to taking it with Nfl network as two pick pay channels. I guess I should have just said EAHD is available as a pick pay channel. I just think its odd since EA 1 is 9.99 a month standalone.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
These EAHD films are all obviously not new films. Do you have an available laptop or desktop with an HDMI connection? If so, you could easily watch any of the films available on EAHD online and view them on your TV. And it doesn't even cost 50 cents.
I'd like to know what this service, and that is is clearly not a piracy service.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I'm pretty sure that EA1 used to show newer movies and EA2 older movies. When I checked the website and clicked on a few random movies, they had air dates of the same movies on both channels.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My parents have been with Shaw/Starchoice for like 20 years and have always paid the listed price for bronze.
I saw their bill and its like 49 bucks like wow.

What are the retention deals like? Does SD even retain?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Is Shawdirect available in central Florida?

I am a snowbird from Ontario. I will be arriving in Leesburg, Florida in about a month. I am a Shawdirect customer and I will be bringing a 75 cm dish and a HD600 receiver with me to set up in Leesburg.
I was looking for some information from a dish installer located in Wildwood, Florida and I was told "Unfortunately Shawdirect recently changed their satellite coverage footprint and it is no longer possible to pick them up in central Florida".
Is this true? If there is anyone in the Leesburg, The Villages, Ocala area who knows anything about Shawdirect please let me know.

101 - 120 of 136 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.