Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 354 Posts

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Just so you know Bell doesn't have HDNet either. But if you are looking for better hardware and better channel selection, Bell is definitely the way to go.

Shaw Direct's lack of HD channels, outdated hardware, insistence on coast-to-coast simsubs, and poor customer services, there really is no reason for people to stay with Shaw Direct.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Im sad to see HDNet go I have found that its not as good as it used to be but still nice for concerts. Other hand I am quite pleased with the addition of Space. Id rather have both. does anyone really watch Oasis?
The one thing I've learned from following this forum, is the vast difference of opinions when it comes to literally every issue, incluing channel preference.

For me, Oasis is one of the most watched channels in our house. By far the best quality HD on the dial in terms of PQ. My wife loves nature programs so ya, it's on a lot. HDNet - I don't think I've watched once since getting HD Combo, so I'm glad to see it get dropped.

One thing I've learned, is you just can't please everybody.

·
Registered
61 Posts
After listening to Mark Cuban, the owner of HDnet speak, I was going to drop the channel anyway. Thanks SD for saving me the trouble.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Almost everyone I talk to applauds Oasis as one of the best channels on TV. Apparently it is is only in 720 P but has a very good clear picture and very interesting shows. We cannot recall ever watching anything on HDNet. I guess everone to his own

·
Registered
783 Posts
The one thing I've learned from following this forum, is the vast difference of opinions when it comes to literally every issue, incluing channel preference. One thing I've learned, is you just can't please everybody.
Agreed! Recently it was "The Frame" (or whatever it was called) that was getting flamed for being crap that should be dropped to make room for a real channel. We would quite often put the frame on while having dinner.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The one thing I've learned from following this forum, is the vast difference of opinions when it comes to literally every issue, incluing channel preference.

For me, Oasis is one of the most watched channels in our house. By far the best quality HD on the dial in terms of PQ. My wife loves nature programs so ya, it's on a lot. HDNet - I don't think I've watched once since getting HD Combo, so I'm glad to see it get dropped.

One thing I've learned, is you just can't please everybody.
Valid point. each of us has our individual tastes and likes

And now I will eat a little crow. after yours and other comments about Oasis I thought Id have another look. Perhaps I just saw a few pointless shows when they first came on the air and just didn't give it chance. what I saw today was quite interesting but even better had some amazing underwater photography. Glad I gave it another try. sure to watch it again.

·
Registered
629 Posts
When HDnet is removed on the 20th of this month, will they add something else to the HD Extra Lite package to replace it? I know the channel is being replaced by SpaceHD but I heard that will be part of the no cost extra HD (which I don't care for since i'm sure my bill will go up for it).

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm a new subscriber to Shaw... So far pretty pleased with the service.

But I understand that there is no Sportsnet World HD? Seems pretty crazy for me to be paying $14.99 for a SD channel when others are paying the same to other providers and getting the HD channel as well.

And have I read right... NFL Sunday Ticket is also not offered in HD as well?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
244 Posts
NFL Sunday Ticket has had 3 or 4 HD channels through the seasons. They don't always get used and they sometimes have a game already available on a network HD channel so it is a bit frustrating at times. Now that said, there is a new satellite being launched later this year and one could assume this would mean a much better Sunday Ticket HD offering once that happens but we will have to wait and see what they do.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's being replaced by Space HD
the previous poster knows hdnet is being replace by space hd. what he is asking is "will shaw direct add another channel to the hd extra/extra lite package when hdnet (an hd extra/extra lite package channel) is being replace by space hd (a free hd with sd subscription channel, if that's what they plan on doing with it)?

·
Registered
244 Posts
It is not often that we see people change their mind on these forums so it was a very pleasant surprise to see Dmoes do a 180 on his view regarding the Oasis Channel. Well done Dave.
Lester

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Hey to keep an true open mind can bring in new and fun things into life. not to mention will end most pointless arguments.
For me the best documentary channels is History. Somehow they are able to get a lot of very good shows. Much better than what Discovery or TLC have to offer.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I am not into biological nature really. I do go for more geological/elemental nature though, as well as physics and chemistry. With that, I do like what TVO gets from th UK for that sort of thing. Usually they are smallter series of 4 to 8 episodes. TVO runs usually one of those series about every other month or more often. Another interest is a bit more distant to modern British history, which TVO carries programmes for. Still, there is the goings on and development of Cities, which there is numerous series, such as Trashopolis, Waterfront Cities of the world, and others, and Megabuilders and similar civil engineering shows.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I am not into biological nature really. I do go for more geological/elemental nature though, as well as physics and chemistry. With that, I do like what TVO gets from th UK for that sort of thing. Usually they are smallter series of 4 to 8 episodes. TVO runs usually one of those series about every other month or more often. Another interest is a bit more distant to modern British history, which TVO carries programmes for. Still, there is the goings on and development of Cities, which there is numerous series, such as Trashopolis, Waterfront Cities of the world, and others, and Megabuilders and similar civil engineering shows.
TVO is not HD .I hardly watch anything on non HD channels. History has all the shows you mentioned (and a few others, quite good) and they have the new seasons before TVO (I suppose, I can not say for sure as I don't watch TVO). But I've seen on other channels like A&E that they show older episodes usually.
And most important all shows are in HD.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I know TVO is not HD (at least yet, but not crossing fingers), but the content is worth it even in SD, at least on my 32" TV, through the TiVo. Of one has a sigificantly larger set, I could see it being too much a compromise.

101 - 120 of 354 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.