Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 354 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Is there anything we can do to keep HD Net? We too watch channel for the great music concerts and other shows. It probably is the most watched channel in our house.

How do they make these decisions are they able to tell who watch's what or do the just guess?

·
Registered
122 Posts
HDnet is going off the air this month, and then it is going to be rebranded in July to what I had read (Axis or something). So isn't that the reason that Shaw Direct is replacing with Space HD, (whether Space is the best replacement choice). Same as DUSK television, is it not suppose to be going off the air also. With both of these channels shutting down, hard to keep them on the air, not the providers fault.

Question - With DUSK going of the air could Shaw Direct use that space to ad another HD channel or would they have to replace it with another SD channel?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Question - With DUSK going of the air could Shaw Direct use that space to ad another HD channel or would they have to replace it with another SD channel?
When Dusk goes off the air, it will be replaced with ABC Spark.

Jessica - Shaw Direct Employee

·
Registered
629 Posts
HDnet was the only reason I added HD extra lite to my programming. Since it's coming to an end I decided to remove that package even if it's only $2/month. Not worth it IMO. At this point, remove all the SD channels that have HD equivalents to make space and only have HD versions. Win win for everyone.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Don't a majority of SD customers still use standard def. receivers? They might be pretty pissed if they took off the sd version of the hd channels.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Don't a majority of SD customers still use standard def. receivers? They might be pretty pissed if they took off the sd version of the hd channels.
Probably. But since the 600 series receivers and most likely the rumored 700 series receivers will play HD content on SD TVs, make a plan to move customers over and get rid of waste/double channels. It's just plain logical.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Agree. Years ago you needed a big board with a lot of premium components to be able to decode HD.Now a $5 microcontroller can do it, with time to spare for other activities. Shaw should make all their receiver able to decode HD, and convert it to SD signal if desired ( all 500 and 600 series receivers can do this). Sell if you want a cheper model for marketing purposes whic will not output HD (does not really make sense for me, but anyway...), and eliminate all Standard Def channels whic have an HD equivalent.Maybe they are waiting for the next gen of receivers to do it, but I think it makes sense.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does anyone have any insight as to whether Global HD West (BC) is coming to Shaw Direct any time soon? I ask not because I want to see it, but because I'm surprised it's not there already for simsub reasons. Global Toronto HD is simsubbed across-the-board now ever since Shaw bought out Global TV, and I'm surprised Global HD BC isn't simsubbed yet for the West U.S. feeds.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
CBC Vancouver HD, CTV Vancouver HD, Global BC HD and Citytv Toronto HD will probably be among the first channels Shaw Direct adds when the new satellite goes up.

Fox Sports World Canada is shutting down on April 30. I wonder if Shaw Direct will replace it with a new SD channel.

·
Registered
519 Posts
if all those channels are on the new satellite, how will that impact simsubs for people who do not have the new LNBs? would we still be able to watch the US feeds?

·
Registered
43 Posts
if all those channels are on the new satellite, how will that impact simsubs for people who do not have the new LNBs? would we still be able to watch the US feeds?
That's what I was wondering too — we still have the 530 and they better not simsub Global BC if we can't even get it on the dial, especially when we can't even watch our local CBC affiliate at all because we don't have the upgrade.

I'll be demanding a free upgrade if that happens, it might just work.

·
Registered
251 Posts
HDNET is one of my favourite channels actually...Love the concerts on Sunday nights....like the new show called Super too....I hate Bell so much but I might have to suck it up and switch...

81 - 100 of 354 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.