extra value pack..................17.99
digital value pack.................22.99
U.S. superstation...................0.99
eastern nets.........................4.99
HD extra..............................5.99
multi receiver warranty...........5.99
hated hst tax.......................7.07
total..................................66.01

Thats $2.20 per day! I must admit that at first it was difficult to get what I wanted from SD but a really helpful csr out of Montreal made this package for us and it works for our entertainment needs. Some may notice no movie pack and I do not use ppv or vod, I find these items do not make financial sense. Overall this is still better than an other providers options.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Remove the eastern nets, add the HD Combo Pack, 10.99 (includes HD Extra) and your bill will increase to $66.02

Happy New Year

·
Registered
6 Posts
HD with Digital Lite package?

hi long time stalker first time poster
like the title says. I am currently subed to the digital lite package with a sd reciever (dsr319). I am looking at upgrading to the new hdpvr. will i HAVE to change my package or are there already some HD channals in the Digital Lite.
Most of the programs i watch are on the big channals, ctv, cbs, fox, nbc and abc.

thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you subscribe to the Standard Def version of the channel in your package, you'll get the HD version with a new HD receiver.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
CBC, CTV, Global, NBC, CBS, Fox, ABC, PBS, Radio-Canada and TVA in HD are all included in Digital Lite.

You can add TSN HD for around $5 if you watch a lot of sports.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Programming packages

Interested in getting some feedback on what packages are the best bang for your buck.
I was looking at the Western Digital Value Package.
Overall package looks ok but there are other channels I'd like to have.
Is it more cost effective to take a package which has these other channels or would it be cheaper just to add other channels onto the WDVP?
Thanks for your feedback.
Just a note. I tried to do a new post but the site wouldn't let me. Anyone know why?
Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bonjour Frenchophile;
It is my understanding that as a B.C. package I would only receive western feeds, so my preference is both even if it costs a little more.

Cheers and Merci

·
Registered
57 Posts
No the BC Value pack does not include the US Eastern 'Nets' in Standard Definition but it does include them in High Definition. So unless have have additional Standard Definition Receivers that get used frequently you should probably drop eastern nets and upgrade HD Extra to HD Combo.

·
Registered
21 Posts
update

Well it seems a mistake was made so BC package does include Eastern nets in HD but not in standard definition, thanks to all that made me aware of this. As for upgrade from HD extra to HD combo not at all interested in any of those channels, (all sports). Lowered my bill by $4.99 plus ugly hst tax, this was confirmed by a csr today Sat Jan 8 2011.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2011 package and pricing

The Extra Value Pack will be increased by $2.00/month on April 1st. Shaw has added Movietime, Showcase Diva and Showcase Action to the pack, as well the Oprah Winfrey Network (for what it's worth!). I'm pretty sure that this pack, and the Digital Value Pack, are only available through Shaw themselves - you have to set it up directly with their sales dept in Calgary.

I've just signed up with Shaw (today, as a matter of fact), primarily to get away from Bell. I just didn't like the way Bell handles upgrades for long time customers - $500 up front for a HDPVR, with $250 in credits later (I've been with Bell for 12 years and will soon be getting rid of the Bell land-line phone too - $11/month for voicemail!). My total cash outlay for a Shaw HDPVR and a std HD receiver was $236.74 incl taxes. Again, only available through Shaw's sales dept.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Free HD?

I'm one of those guys who just pays my bill like an idiot and doesn't bother to look often. I looked today . . .
What happened to the concept of "Free HD"
Wasn't that Shaw's big selling point to get us to buy, instead of rent receivers?
Now, there are just as many HD channels that have to be purchased as opposed to ones that are "free" with other packages.
Seems a little underhanded, so I guess I'll have to start making cuts and selling HD receivers. Why on earth would I want to pay once for the SD channel and then pay for it again?
Am I being unreasonable?
I am all ears.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
It is the channels that insist that their HD version be separately subscribed, particularily Alliance and Discovery Communications associated programming.

Shaw is including what HD they can. Some providers may be charging separately for all HD.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
It is the channels that insist that their HD version be separately subscribed, particularily Alliance and Discovery Communications associated programming.

Shaw is including what HD they can. Some providers may be charging separately for all HD.
then does that include ALL the sports channels for $6.99? I thought those were mostly free if you have the SD version. My recent bill states otherwise. We shouldn't have to pay for BOTH - there should be a reduced option for one or the other - anyone who has HD won't watch HGTV in SD, you know? It seems to be a cash-grab in the grandest Canadian fashion.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
^^^ Yes indeed, I know it sounds crazy but companies like Shaw Direct are in business to make money. If there is a another cable or satellite company that is any different and can provide equal programming please let us all know.

You get all english HD sports channels with the HD sports pack or the HD combo pack, that is correct.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
^^^ Yes indeed, I know it sounds crazy but companies like Shaw Direct are in business to make money. If there is a another cable or satellite company that is any different and can provide equal programming please let us all know.

You get all english HD sports channels with the HD sports pack or the HD combo pack, that is correct.
I am not against them making money, but it's pretty obvious if you support them by PURCHASING their expensive receivers, you're supporting them, regardless how much they make on the hardware. At that point, as per their "original" advertising of FREE HD, they've added almost nothing for free, and instead have added almost ALL HD as paid services, sports packages, PPV, etc.
It's a sham, plain and simple. If they gave us free receiver updates forever, that may ease the pain, but that's likely not happening, is it?

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
"Free HD" is just a gimmick.

ALL subscribers are paying for SD and HD across the board. If you don't want HD, you have to pay for it anyway. If you don't want SD you have to pay for your chosen packages anyway. The provider gets more money from the ALL rather than just from those who want it.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.