Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 356 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Any chance Shaw might put SD up for sale, they have their cable empire and pretty soon will be launching their wireless business, so what do they need Shaw Direct for?!
Are you kidding? Shaw Direct provides a ton of cash for Shaw...and until they stop doing that, I highly doubt that Shaw will drop them. Would you say no to $1000 a week just because you could get $1000 somewhere else? I'd take the combined $2000 and grin widely

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Bell seems to be adding a lot of HD- why do they have room to add all these channels yet Shaw Direct doesn't appear to have any room at all?! This 'no capacity' mantra is getting old real quick IMO, why don't they move more channels to 8PSK or upgrade some transponders to MPEG4 and add HD channels in MPEG4 only, that should free up some room.
You have it backwards. Transponders are QPSK (or the GI version of it) or 8PSK. Channels are MPEG2 or MPEG4.

The reason they don't, yet, is that too many customers are on the old receivers that cannot receive 8PSK or MPEG4. They have to get those receivers replaced first.

Soon, they are dumping Spokane nets, and converting one F1 transponder to 8PSK, for some smaller market locals I think.

·
Super Moderator
5,082 Posts
If you're close enough to Vancouver, you should be able to pick up these stations with an antenna. Most newer TV's have a digital ATSC tuner See the OTA forum here at DH.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Bell doesn't have HD - just Widescreen SD

25 Canadian HD locals will be on G1 in MPEG4 starting in early in 2012 if the satellite construction stays on course.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Maybe early 2013, the G1 satellite is not scheduled to launch until Dec 2012 unless that has changed recently.

·
Registered
669 Posts
This is good news. I had been in touch with the station manager and had requested that Global Maritimes be added back to Shaw Direct.

We have few options for local TV news in the Maritimes. On recent weekends when CTV carrys football, there has been no 6pm news from the Maritimes on Shaw Direct.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
There has been no local newscast in the Capital of this country when there is football on CTV. Shame. You have to watch a short newscast on their website. Sorry for getting off topic.

·
Registered
301 Posts
January 31, 2011 Channel Launches

HGTV HD - 254 Classic / 367 Advanced
Global Maritimes - 329 Classic / 60 Advanced
Global Montreal (Modulation change from 8PSK to QPSK) - 330 Classic / 59 Advanced.

All channels are now live and you should be able to direct tune. If you have an HDDSR 605 or HDPVR 630 and the channels do not appear in the Guide, perform a Front Panel Reset and they should appear.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Global Montreal still not showing up on my 630 guide even after a couple of resets.

21 - 40 of 356 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.