Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 356 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Channels always generate a lot of discussion so this thread is for discussing new channels in 2011.

You're welcome to speculate and discuss new channels coming to Shaw Direct in 2011 but PLEASE unless it's been confirmed by an official press release, be clear about what is speculation and what is fact.

A post saying "a CSR said it was coming" is NOT official, however, it does put it in the "highly" likely category.

If its posted on the CRTC site that its been approved by the CRTC but Shaw Direct has not said anything, I would consider that in the "not very likely at this time" category.

Replaces 2010: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=118342

·
Registered
669 Posts
Now that Shaw owns them....I'm hoping for:

HGTV HD
Global BC HD
Global Maritimes SD (I'm not expecting HD for this)

·
Registered
669 Posts
Thankee BigO...

....We get minimal local TV news here in the Far East.

I'm happy that Global Maritimes will return to StarChoice...er Shaw Direct!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Any discussion about new channels in 2011 must be tempered with the knowledge that there will be NO new bandwidth added and that 1 standard definition transponder must be cleared by August in order to add the CRTC mandated OTA channels.

There are only a few ways to accomplish this

1) Drop sd channels (as is going to happen to the Spokane nets)

2) Migrate existing sd channels to 8PSK (as has been speculated for KSPS and WNED)

3) Migrate existing HD channels to MPEG4

I would like to see SD move MC HD channels to MPEG4 and add HGTV, Food + BBC Canada HD feeds to that transponder.

As mentioned in another thread, I wouldn't lose any sleep over the A&E + TLC HD feeds being discontinued and replaced with feeds having original HD programming.

BTW, if anyone has to call SD for a 4XX or 3XX replacement, I would highly recommend that you take the 8PSK capable 319 @$29 rather than the free 4XX or 3XX.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
The Shaw Direct Twitter feed Tweeted this the other day

OWN will be coming to Canada in March. We will have it available on March 1st. We will keep everyone posted. *jm
So we will be getting the Oprah network starting in March.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
OWN will be replacing VIVA and will probably be Canadianized since it will be OWNed by Corus here in Canada.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Aha, I figured we were getting the US OWN. To be fair it was in reply to someone asking if they would be adding OWN.

How many times is Viva going to rebrand? It wasn't that long it was CLT.

·
Banned
844 Posts
Bell is getting Ytv & family in HD.......When are we going to get some more new HD channels I wonder??
Bell seems to be adding a lot of HD- why do they have room to add all these channels yet Shaw Direct doesn't appear to have any room at all?! This 'no capacity' mantra is getting old real quick IMO, why don't they move more channels to 8PSK or upgrade some transponders to MPEG4 and add HD channels in MPEG4 only, that should free up some room.

I recall last year at one point they were touting about all these HD channels they were going to add, looks like that was a load of bullcrap because they only channels I recall them adding were Oasis HD, CNN HD & Global TV HD. Where is CBC News Network HD, they found room to add an American news channel yet they don't have room to add a Canadian one?!

Any chance Shaw might put SD up for sale, they have their cable empire and pretty soon will be launching their wireless business, so what do they need Shaw Direct for?! The FreeHD Canada people would probably be interested in buying SD, this would save them the hassle of launching a brand new service from scratch.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Any chance Shaw might put SD up for sale, they have their cable empire and pretty soon will be launching their wireless business, so what do they need Shaw Direct for?!
they need SD for cable distribution to smaller cable cmpanies
they use SD for channels distribution everybody knows that

1 - 20 of 356 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.