Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Grandmother has recently been switched to Shaw Digital which means new HW. She is legally blind. Is there any equipment that Shaw has that can be used to replace the Digital Remote for Visually Impaired subscribers? or do I have to purchase this separately?

I'm programming the 'Favorites' button on the remote for her, but I'm fearful she will mistakenly select the VOD button; if this happens she will be lost. It's difficult enough for people with sight to exit this menu at times.

Also with Shaw is there a service that will 'speak' what the channel is switched to, essentially verbalizing the guide?

Thanks,
J

·
Registered
681 Posts
Not sure on the equipment side of things that were asked but i wanted to point out that there is a channel for the visually impaired. Its TAC TV on ch 888 which has shows, movies and a verity of other programs which there is a narrator describing what going on and such.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your replies. I didn't know about channel 888, she isn't interested in the programs on that channel but good to know about.

I'll contact Shaw about the remote, I don't think the description is what I'm looking for though.

While she is legally blind she has limited sight, she can make out text if it's high contrast, I tried setting the guide to the best contrast but she still couldn't see the numbers at all.

Thanks again for the replies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts