Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After so many years having a Shaw analog only service, I finally upgraded to their digital service. Up until now, I had used a low pass RF filter (let in all signals below analog channel 69) and had set my RF modulator to display security cameras (Netmedia SC01) on CATV channels 84, 86, 88, and 90.

Well, as you all know, much of the frequencies above channel 69 are used for Shaw's digital service.

So, what i'm trying to do is to view my security cameras either on TVs that have no digital cable boxes or on TVs that are connected to a Shaw digital cable box.

Anyone know what I need to do here? I have a pretty basic Shaw analog/digital cable service, so, I don't subscribe to any specialty channels or plan to use their VOD services. I suppose in the future, I might subscribe to their cable based data service.

I'm hoping that I can buy a notch filter that will enable me to essentially use all of the Shaw analog/digital services that I'm subscribed to.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,480 Posts
The most you can do (at least in Calgary) is 2 modulated signals on digital cable.
Last time I checked the security channels are mapped to 105 and 117 analog to digital 777 and 778... I reconfirm this next week when my shaw is reinstalled.

If you have a digital only receiver (i.e. not a DCT 6416 or DCT 6412)- you will get zero security cam channels.

There is no way at this point to insert your own digitally modulated signals into your Shaw Box.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Is it feasible to hook up your security camera output to your VCR, DVD recorder or anything else with RF input and then output Composite, S-video, or Component to TV? That way you can switch TV input to VCR/DVD-recorder/etc and tune secruity camera channel with VCR/DVD-recorder/etc.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So, what i'm trying to do is to view my security cameras either on TVs that have no digital cable boxes or on TVs that are connected to a Shaw digital cable box.

Anyone know what I need to do here? I have a pretty basic Shaw analog/digital cable service, so, I don't subscribe to any specialty channels or plan to use their VOD services. I suppose in the future, I might subscribe to their cable based data service.

I'm hoping that I can buy a notch filter that will enable me to essentially use all of the Shaw analog/digital services that I'm subscribed to.
Where are you located, growler? Channel maps differ depending on location. Having said that, in most cases you should be safe by notching out channel 117 (753 MHz) and 118 (759 MHz). These are analog carriers designated for security cameras and application specific signals. Your analog TV tuners can then tune to these channels directly. If you have a hybrid analog/digital set-top, then you'll also be able to tune to the mapped channel (varies by region, but it's 399 and 499 respectively in Calgary) to view this; if it's a PVR model, you can even record the security cameras. If you have all-digital boxes, then you're out of luck at this time (although Shaw may have some solutions which are targetted at MDUs and commercial buildings).

Other solutions (such as notching out the VOD carriers) will work only for viewing of security cameras on your analog TV tuners, and not via set-tops. If this is what you want to do, then again, provide your location as this may vary by region. As you say, a low-pass filter isn't viable since services across all tiers are scattered across the spectrum.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. I live in Burnaby, BC (suburb next to Vancouver). I can see that this is going to be more challenging than I originally anticipated. I have the basic digital box DCT700 and a DCT6200. I suspect both are digital only?

10 years ago, I ran one RG6 and two CAT5e to each room. If I ran two RG6's, I could have run digital cable off one and security cameras on the other. I certainly didn't expect that I would need two runs.

Thanks for the info on the mapping of analog to digital channels. It looks like I may need to pickup different set-top-boxes and I may also need to combine 4 security videos into one.

On a sidenote, does anyone know where I can source out notch filters covering Channel 105, 117 or 118? The notch filters that I've seen sold cover a larger frequency range and have been limited to the Channel 70-75 range.

Edit: Motorola site indicates that the DCT700 is all digital and DCT6200 is an analog/digital box.

·
Super Moderator
4,480 Posts
6200 has an analog tuner (good for you);
the DCT 700 does not (bad for you)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Getting the feed into a cable box is a little more complicated. The STB itself has a channel map which tells it which physical frequency to tune into when you go to a specific channel in the guide.

Shaw has set their map to have 777 reserved for injected feeds (security cameras). You'd need to have your feed come in on the physical channel for that, which is 117. As long as that's been done, your Analog capable boxes will get it.

For a straight analog run, you can technically trap off any range of the spectrum and then inject whatever you want into those channels. Heck, if you wanted you could trim off the whole upper half on the line-up, if you so desired.

The STB is more complicated because it gets it's mapping file from the network, which you don't have the ability to modify. So you're stuck with the single 117/777 channel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Watching your security camera's

Setting up your security camera's on different channels can be done without much difficulty.

Take the RF input which goes into your Digital Cable box, and use a two-way splitter, one of the output lines goes directly into the television (or vcr), and the other line goes into the input on the digital box. On your 6200 (HD Box) use the DVI, or Component cables to your television, and use that input.

You can then change inputs to switch between the security camera channels and the digital box.

You can do the same thing for your DCT700, just use the Composite cables from the digital box to the television.

If you have ancient televisions Shaw does provide A/B switches to change the coax input.

The issues you may have with security camera feeds being inserted on many channels is that there are digital feeds running on them. If you are blocking any channels which carry digital channels you subscribe to, you will receive an One Moment Please error message.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts