Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I own a Shaw HDPVR DCT3416 and have subscribed to Shaw cable tv for some time. Terminated my shaw cable tv for summer.

Just spotted that all programs previously recorded "My List" on my 3416 hdpvr are no longer accessible ... "Please contact cable service provider". Surely these are recorded locally on my pvr?

Question ... does the program record and/or replay functionality on shaw hdpvr function successfully if there is no current shaw cable tv subscription?

Any feedback from those with experience of using hdpvr box, to access surprisingly large number of free channels, without active subscription would be welcomed.

·
Registered
223 Posts
As far as I know, after a few minutes (or hours) of losing a connection to Shaw, you can't access your PVR to watch previously recorded shows. I have a secondary 3080 from which I upgraded to an HDPVR, and I thought that as long as it was connected to my TV (and not the cable, since that was now connected to my HDPVR), I would still be able to watch my recordings on the 3080. Turns out I couldn't, and Shaw sort of confirmed that that might be the case.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been given a motorola 6412 from a friend. It was sitting in a closet for 3 months after he switched to Telus. When I plugged it in to my tv, there were several movies recorded on there still that I was able to watch and then delete.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have been given a motorola 6412 from a friend. It was sitting in a closet for 3 months after he switched to Telus. When I plugged it in to my tv, there were several movies recorded on there still that I was able to watch and then delete.
Did you hook the box up to cable? If it's getting the signal from Shaw it will work, but I bet it wouldn't otherwise.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If your 3416 did a firmware update you can lose all recordings. Mine lost all
recordings the other day when the firmware was updated.

FaxCap

·
Super Moderator
56,559 Posts
Question ... does the program record and/or replay functionality on shaw hdpvr function successfully if there is no current shaw cable tv subscription?
I'm pretty sure that you need the PVR connected to active cable for it to function. Previous thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=124479

Note that there was a "workaround" mentioned later in the thread - boot the PVR at a friend's house...

You ask about "free channels". There is no free cable and we don't discuss it in this forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts