Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a home theatre issue. Ideally I want to setup both my HD PVR and PS3 through my receiver. My setup is as follows:

1) HDMI out from the PVR to HDMI 1 in on the receiver
2) HDMI in from the TV to HDMI out on the receiver
3) HDMI out from the PS3 to HDMI 2 in on the receiver

I run optical cables from the PVR and the PS3 to my receiver for sound.

Everything works properly with this setup however once you turn off the receiver and TV the PVR freezes starts to blink "DVI". I then have to unplug the PVR, plug it back in and wait for it to restart.

Any solutions or recommendations?

Thanks

·
Registered
949 Posts
Why do you need optical cables if you're using hdmi? Hdmi carries both a/v.

Start with basic troubleshooting. Remove the optical cables. Make sure the pvr works when connected directly to the tv via hdmi. If that works take the ps3 out of the mix and just try the pvr with the receiver.

I've never seen a pvr flash DVI before.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback!

I have to use the optical cables because the model of my receiver even though it has HDMI inputs and outputs does not support the audio capability of the HDMI cable. Harman Kardon calls it "Simplay HD" but it kind of defeats the purpose of HDMI in my eyes. I have fooled with all sorts of setting to get around the optical cable issue so I can just run HDMI but have had no luck.

My receiver is a Harman Kardon AVR 146 and the TV is a Samsung LNT3242HX.

When I run the HDMI directly from the TV to the PVR, everything works fine and no freezing ever occurs. I used to have the HDMI portion of my PS3 hooked directly to my TV and then ran an optical cable for sound. Again, no problems with that either. I have since moved and now that my TV is mounted on the wall I have my HDMI cable going through the wall and attaching the TV and pvr/receiver depending on the setup. I don't want to have to run a second HDMI cable for my PS3 to my TV in order to make this work again. Hope that made sense!

·
Registered
145 Posts
My Yamaha receiver does the exact same thing. I use component cables now to the receiver, and do have HDMI directly to my projector. Honestly, at 96" I can't tell the difference between HDMI and component. I gave up fighting with the HDMI connection to the receiver as I saw no point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts