Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't turn my PVR on anymore. It just sits there flashing 8's the whole time. Can't find anything in the troubleshooting guide or online anywhere. Anyone else seen this problem?

The other 2 Shaw PVR's in the house are still working just fine, as is cable and internet. Could it be a fuse?

·
Registered
949 Posts
This is usually indicative of some type of motherboard problem. Sometimes it can be fixed, but the majority of the time they get classified as BER.

·
Registered
2 Posts
HELP problem with moto dct3412 powercycling

I have a problem with my motorla dct 3412 box with shaw............ So here's the story, I purchased the pvr box a few years ago from a guy off craiglists. The PVR's at the time were really expensive and this guy was selling them used from the states on craigslist for a decent price, he said that it would work for sure, you just have to call in to shaw and give them some number for registration or something, anyways the box has been running perfect for the last few years. I believe a couple weeks ago, SHAW had a firmware update of some sort, since the beginning of September my box has not worked the same. Every time i turn on the box, it first has duI displayed on the box ( i forgot if that's normal or not) but after a few minutes, the box would completely shut off, not a power button turn off but a complete shut off like you pulled the plug. The display on the box would go blank for a few seconds and then the number 8888 would appear. Then the box would finally turn on. The guide and listings (basically everything) would all be reset showing no information and the time even appears 12:00. And then in a few minutes it would happen again, same thing. Box completely turns off starts up with 8888 and finally cable would be back for a few minutes. This just keeps on happening and happening, no stop to it! I have no clue why this is happening. I'm wondering is it because of the box model number dct3412 from the states and not a shaw pvr box is causing this problem? If someone could give me a hand to fix this that would be great! Thanks

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I have a problem with my motorla dct 3412 box with shaw............ So here's the story, I purchased the pvr box a few years ago from a guy off craiglists. The PVR's at the time were really expensive and this guy was selling them used from the states on craigslist for a decent price, he said that it would work for sure, you just have to call in to shaw and give them some number for registration or something, anyways the box has been running perfect for the last few years. I believe a couple weeks ago, SHAW had a firmware update of some sort, since the beginning of September my box has not worked the same. Every time i turn on the box, it first has duI displayed on the box ( i forgot if that's normal or not) but after a few minutes, the box would completely shut off, not a power button turn off but a complete shut off like you pulled the plug. The display on the box would go blank for a few seconds and then the number 8888 would appear. Then the box would finally turn on. The guide and listings (basically everything) would all be reset showing no information and the time even appears 12:00. And then in a few minutes it would happen again, same thing. Box completely turns off starts up with 8888 and finally cable would be back for a few minutes. This just keeps on happening and happening, no stop to it! I have no clue why this is happening. I'm wondering is it because of the box model number dct3412 from the states and not a shaw pvr box is causing this problem? If someone could give me a hand to fix this that would be great! Thanks
The DCT is trying to download the latest firmware version released by Shaw at the beginning of September. it sounds like your terminal is not able to do that successfully. If it was under warranty i would say call Shaw and they can troubleshoot it and book a SC for a tech to check it out and possibly swap it. Since it's not under warranty I would still say call Shaw and troubleshoot and get a tech out to have a look. he may be able to get it working and if he can't he will let you know that it no longer works and what you options are.

·
Registered
949 Posts
It is highly unlikely that a tech will be able to get your unit working. These problems are almost always hardware related.

Your best solution is to go to shaw.ca/chat and inquire about hardware swaps if you subscribe to NFLST or NHLCI.

Do not mention that you're having issues or anything like that.

·
Registered
507 Posts
If it was under warranty i would say call Shaw and they can troubleshoot it and book a SC for a tech to check it out and possibly swap it.
His box is from the US. I'd be very surprised if Shaw does anything for him warranty-wise.

If he's lucky they'll try to hit it again with a firmware update. If he's unlucky it'll get blocked from the system.

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
Last resort...could always try deleting all the software, which will cause the box to show a 0 on the front and then having Shaw hit the box with a signal to force a new download. My box got lagged with the download...think it got interruppted which caused an endless loop and this fixed it for me... but Shaw will NEVER recommend this as most tech's don't even know how to do it.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
It is highly unlikely that a tech will be able to get your unit working. These problems are almost always hardware related.

Your best solution is to go to shaw.ca/chat and inquire about hardware swaps if you subscribe to NFLST or NHLCI.

Do not mention that you're having issues or anything like that.
Unfortunately Shaw will only swap DCTs that are not under warranty if the customer is a returning NHL or NFL customer. If not then no swap.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I think they are more strict with NHLCI, but with NFLST the warranty didn't really matter. If you ask nicely in chat, they still may do it for you...

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
With NFL the rules are in place to only swap if returning customer or under warranty. Many reps may have been confused or simply overlooked this fact though. The DCT does need to be in working condition though.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I doubt Shaw has the time to test all the units that people traded in. More likely is that they sell the whole lot or lots at a time as Field Pull units.

The rules aren't set in stone... I maintain if you ask nicely you can probably get it swapped. Just be sure to verify ahead of time (use chat and keep your own record).

Everyone wins...

·
Registered
1 Posts
DCT6412III not working... please help

upon plugging in the unit i get 8888 on the display and then nothing. I've tried power cycling, different outlets, things like that. The tv is picking up a source but its just a black screen. I can hear the STB's fan running so i know its at least getting power. Anyyone have this issue? kind of an urgent situation.
thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
56,563 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts