Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 80 of 943 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Got to get this off my chest.

I have had spotty Internet service for the last 3-4 weeks and my 6412 keeps locking. I have changed modems and the DCT box. I still have the same problem.

I had a service called scheduled for December 21 for 12-2 pm. But that time slot was not the best for me so I called on the 19th to change the service call to either an earlier or a later time slot. I was told that my service call has been changed to the 28th. They did not notify me of the change. In the meantime I have no Shaw services.

I have been told that I might have a virus on my computer, my cable from the modem to the computer is too long. My MAC address maybe conflicting with another MAC address. My firewall, Zonealarm, might be the culprit, my power-bar is faulty, my signal is too high, and my signal is too low. I am exhausted. I finally stopped complaining about the Shaw hardware and the lack of HD channels and I am hit with this.

Coincidently, my troubles started the day I downloaded a movie using a bittorrent service. Should I be paranoid? Should I give up. Is it possible that Shaw has put some filter on my account and their CSRs don't even know about it? Should I just give up?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Christmas Eve Service

I just had another good experience with Shaw Vancouver Island.

I bought an HD-PVR at a retailer about a week ago. I had a grunt/grinding sound about every two seconds.

I happened to be near the Shaw office in Victoria yesterday and stopped in to talk with them about it.

They immediately arranged for a tech to come out today, Christmas Eve day. They said the tech would phone in the morning to give me a "window" for when they could be here.

The tech phoned this morning about 9:15 and said he would be here between 1:00 and 3:00 PM. He was here just about 2:00 PM, swapped the box out, had the office set the new box and was out of here.

Prompt pleasant service yet again. Now if they can just increase the HD content.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've been having audio drop out problems with my p2 6412. I asked to have shaw locate a 6412 p3 with m4 serial #. They told me that I wasn't allowed to swap for one at a store. Told me they would send a tech over and no gaurantee on gettin g a m4 seriel # box. Sounds like a big waste of time to me. What steps did you guys take to locate and swap for a m4 p3 6412 box?

·
Registered
61 Posts
beanagee1 said:
Got to get this off my chest.

I have had spotty Internet service for the last 3-4 weeks and my 6412 keeps locking. I have changed modems and the DCT box. I still have the same problem.

I had a service called scheduled for December 21 for 12-2 pm. But that time slot was not the best for me so I called on the 19th to change the service call to either an earlier or a later time slot. I was told that my service call has been changed to the 28th. They did not notify me of the change. In the meantime I have no Shaw services.

I have been told that I might have a virus on my computer, my cable from the modem to the computer is too long. My MAC address maybe conflicting with another MAC address. My firewall, Zonealarm, might be the culprit, my power-bar is faulty, my signal is too high, and my signal is too low. I am exhausted. I finally stopped complaining about the Shaw hardware and the lack of HD channels and I am hit with this.

Coincidently, my troubles started the day I downloaded a movie using a bittorrent service. Should I be paranoid? Should I give up. Is it possible that Shaw has put some filter on my account and their CSRs don't even know about it? Should I just give up?
Bittorrent you say? I am going to refer you back to somthing that showed up on Digg a few months ago. Not quite related, but it has a message.
http://news.fudo.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=15

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here's mine

To date, I think I've called Shaw support 8-9 times. All calls, even the ones that don't help me out, i.e. provide me with anything more than I already knew or helped my situation, were pretty good. I never finished the conversation thinking it was a waste of time or that the CSR/tech was useless. For the most part, they do seem to care.

Except today.

I got wind of the new Phase 3 6412 and how it would help decode the analog stations better. When I got my 6412 isntalled in June, the installer (and a couple of shaw techs over the phone) commented that there is a known issue with the box and SD stations. It's pretty bad quality and there will be a fix sometime in the future which will be updated remotely to the box. Ok...no problem. In the meantime, the isntaller has setup a cable run into a splitter; one end into the box for HD and digitial channels (input to HDMI on my TV) and another line directly into my TV (input analog on my TV). Now, to watch SD, I need to switch to Analog and to watch digital and HD, I need to switch to HDMI. Needless to say, this is a pain in the ass.

So today I called up Shaw, explained to them my situation. Asked the CSR that I would like to speak to someone who can do something about this and they told me that an asst. supervisor would call me back. He did and here's the gist of it. I explained to him my situation. He said, what do you want me to do. I told him that I've read that the new phase 3 would fix my problem - is there a way I can get it. He says firstly, the phase 3 wont fix your problem. They have both the 6412 p2 and p3 on the floor and there's no difference other than the HDMI port addition. And secondly, he says he can't do a swap. I tell him that I've had a CSR and a tech tell me that the 6412 has better decoding of SD, the HDMI port and a new fan installed. He says that's not true. He said the boxes display the images the same. I said so the 6412 is the same decoder in the 6000 series. Yes. Then why on my 6200 box does SD look better. Ok...fine, there may have been some updates made to the P3 to handle SD better but there's nothing he can do...he can't give me the new one. Fine...just wondering why he had to lie. I said, what about the 'fix' that I was told for having the 6412 poorly decoding SD? He said, you're running it (as in the splitter). This goes on for a bit more before I decide to give up and call it a day. I hate Mondays...maybe he does to. I should have called on a Friday.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Shaw Looking Into HD Box Rental Option

Hello all,

Spoke to a Shaw (Calgary) rep yesterday about the Motorola 6412 box and asked him how come I cannot rent this model? - since I don't have $700 to spare.

I told him most other cable companies in Canada have a rental option (along with the NHL Centre Ice package that I want - but that is for another post/rant).

He stated that many people call in daily and ask if they can rent the box - but they do not offer it. But after I proded him for about 5 min. he finally admitted that Shaw is working on a rental package for HD boxes since so many people have asked about it. He said to call back in 2 months and they might have it set up.

Not sure if I believe him or not but he seemed sincere. Take this with a grain of salt but there may be hope for those who want to rent the box.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Dont worry about it at all the shaw guy i talked to on the phone wouldn't do squat for me either. Just go straight into any shaw location ( i went to the downtown one) with your old box and they will straight up swap u for a new p3. I was in and out in less than 10 minutes.
manhattan01 said:
I told him that I've read that the new phase 3 would fix my problem - is there a way I can get it. He says firstly, the phase 3 wont fix your problem. They have both the 6412 p2 and p3 on the floor and there's no difference other than the HDMI port addition. And secondly, he says he can't do a swap.

·
Registered
33 Posts
^^^^ What he said. Going into a retail centre is always more effective than phoning or swapping via a service call. Most of the front counter guys/gals are longer term employees and tend to have better Customer Service skills...IMO anyway...;)

And no I haven't heard anything more on the rental option than what was mentioned in the previous post. :( Still rumored to be a few months out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Are you serious? I just bought a P3...and was going to sell the new P2 I thought they would give me. I even have a buyer on it for $700! :| But hey, It's a problem I'd gladly take...I'll update with my experiene at the Shaw location. Thanks guys...you just made my day. :)

Grimgrak said:
Dont worry about it at all the shaw guy i talked to on the phone wouldn't do squat for me either. Just go straight into any shaw location ( i went to the downtown one) with your old box and they will straight up swap u for a new p3. I was in and out in less than 10 minutes.

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
Please if your the next person to reply - do not quote the whole paragraph to reply, just reply with with your response.

Thanks
Shawguy

·
Registered
147 Posts
One of our members posted he got his P3 by just going into a Shaw outlet with his P2 and saying. "They told me I'm suppose to bring this in and get a new one." He got it no questions ask as to who "they" was.

·
Registered
87 Posts
bad shaw service in Calgary

I just wanted to add to this posting my recent experience with shaw cable in Calgary. Over the last few months I have had shaw service people at my house to try and fix a bad cable situation. It seems that the cable from the pole to my house had been damaged when a large truck rolled through the back alley and kind of hit the cable without breaking it. To make a long story short, shaw had the connection fixed a few times with the same poor results.

The big problem for me was over the christmas holidays. I have the old digital package where I have access to the sportnet channels (west, east, pacific and ontario) along with the gameshow network, BET and BBC news. Anyway, a few days after xmas, I noticed that I could no longer access the game show network, which I wanted to check out for a pyramid marathon that they were running just after xmas. I called the shaw cable help desk number, as mentioned that I had always had access to the game show network, but for some unknown reason, it was taken away from me. The lady at the other end of the line called me a liar and said I never had access to the game show network, just the 5 new digial channels that I had ordered in the last few months (court tv, G4 tech tv, deja vu, espn classic canada and country canada). After a few minutes of arguing about my paying for the game show network and other channels that I have always had (I believe its a $0.99 digital package that I have always paid monthly for the last few years since the game show network has been available through shaw), she said she would call me back and give me an answer about this issue. About an hour later, the game show network was back on the air and I never did get my phone call, so I could demand an answer as to why my service was shut off. If shaw keeps up these kinds of problems, I am going to end my 10 plus years of service with shaw.

Edward

·
Registered
3 Posts
"Mute" on Shaw PVR

Hi,

Everytime my Shaw PVR (6412) records a program when it has been off, or if it has started to record and I turn the TV on while it is still recording the "mute" function is on ??? The TV's mute is off - so, does anyone know the answer to this one ?

Bryan

·
Registered
19 Posts
GrandVegaPimp said:
Hi,
Everytime my Shaw PVR (6412) records a program when it has been off, or if it has started to record and I turn the TV on while it is still recording the "mute" function is on ??? The TV's mute is off - so, does anyone know the answer to this one ?
This is a well known feature and has been discussed extensively in the Moto 6000 sub Forum. http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=67

When the box begins recording from the Off mode, it has the sound muted in case you have the audio going to an external reciever that might be On. You don't want a blast of sound to wake you up when that movie starts to record at 2 am. Your options are:
- Program a Mute button (search the above mentioned forum)
- Play a previosly saved recording momentarily
- Leave it on all the time (and turn off the external receiver and tv)

Leaving it on is the best option. Off is really Suspend and it does not seem to save much power, if any. This option also seems to solve many other issues as well (also well discussed in the above forum).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks.

But, I want to be able to un-mute it and what it say in those forums does not work ... maybe I'm doing something wrong ? Can someone spell it out for me ?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Great

I had a really nice experience with shaw tech help last night.
I was having some remote problems with my new 6412 that had been replaced due to HD failure.
for details you can see
http://digitalhomecanada.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36689
I was placed on hold for a bit by the tech and I was just watching TV while he was gone then came back about 15 minutes later and said he had the codes to help reprogram the remote and then gave me a free PPV credit cuz I had been placed on hold so long! How nice is that.
I was very happy with the whole call, and at 11pm at night.

·
Registered
288 Posts
GrandVegaPimp said:
Thanks.

But, I want to be able to un-mute it and what it say in those forums does not work ... maybe I'm doing something wrong ? Can someone spell it out for me ?
You can try this method. Go into the settings and find audio. There is a setting for optimal audio toggle this to on/off and it comes back on.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Program your mute button to unmute the STB:

6412 mute code

1 press CBL button
2 press and hold setup button Untill CBL button blinks twice
3 press 994
4 press setup button but do not hold
5 press 141
6 press mute button

The mute button is now programmed to mute and unmute the cable box not the TV.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The One bit of good news from Shaw turns out to be wrong

After hoping and waiting for years for shaw to be taken over by rogers, rumors finally begin to surface...only to be shot down weeks later...WHAT GIVES?!!!?

Dear Mr. Shaw

You cannot, or are not willing to invest the required amount of capital into your company to bring it up to a level equal with the standard in the business today. The packages and channels by shaw today are similar to those of rogers and bell 4 years ago. In an area with such rapid changing technology, being this far behind in not acceptable. Please consider the prospects of never worrying about your finances agian by selling your company to someone(rogers) that has the drive, capital, and desire to provide a product on par with the readily available technology.

I'm hoping someone from Shaw reads these forums.

61 - 80 of 943 Posts