Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 943 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Bob, some of their guys are not Shaw guys but outsourced guys. Those are the ones that are "traditional" cable guys and only know about the RF side of things. I've had two different techs in my house. One was the outsourced guy who just replaced my 6208 but freely offered he didn't know too much about it instead of pretending he did.

The second guy was a Shaw tech and was very knowledgable and even phoned back to the guy sitting in the headend to ensure what he was seeing is what they were seeing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Phoned in for Shaw repair to come over as I wanted to split the cable feeding my Toshiba (maybe using one of their amplified splitters for free, as well as supply the pigtail). The repair man showed up as per the time block but somehow I didn't get told he was at the house (I was napping) and he added an amp to the incomming line and then left.... HE DID say that he would come back later that evening - when I was home - to explain what he did...

HE DID come back and did explain what was going on AND provided me with a simple 1GHz splitter and a pig so I could split the cable.... Great Service Shaw.... keep it up!!!:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
telling me I need to plug my 6208 directly to the wall outlet or it won't work properly
Surprisingly enough, that works sometimes. If it does work, its usually because the coax outer shielding is grounded to the house ground improperly somewhere (usually a satellite ground box)

A power bar or surge protector will cause a difference in noise levels between a filtered and unfiltered ground, and can cause analog and digital signal degradation. To rectify, its sometimes better if you risk the temporary plug directly into the power outlet, your signal will still be noisy but at least it will be noisy "in phase".

The proper way to fix the problem is to find the coax ground to the house ground and eliminate it, or just run a new fresh drop.

The same is true of CRT analog monitors, if you are getting a lot of interference, try bypassing your power bar for a short period of time and see if it disappears.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I wanted to add yet another story that happened recently.

Currently, I pay for the cable/internet bill at home (live with parents). My mom has started to work from home, and in order for her to get some of the internet charges back (from her work), it has to be in her name.

So she called Shaw and spoke to a rep there (I was out of the house). I got a call on my cell from the rep she was talking to (he had her on hold). He wanted to know if it was okay for him to unbundle our current package. I told him yes, but wanted to know the difference in charges.

He said if they unbundle the package I had, that the TV charges wouldn't be any more from the unbundle, but only the Internet charges would be more. First he said it would only be a dollar more. I asked him if he was sure. He put me on hold, and came back, and told me it was going to be $5 more. He applogised, and said he was sure. I asked him if there was ANY more charges at all that my mom would have to pay for to have the internet converted to her name, again he said no, and that he was sure.

When I got home, my mom told me that he told her the same thing. $1 more, then later said $5 more (this was aftering getting off the phone with me). He also informed her that she would be responsible for a $19.95 fee for converting the the account into her name. Obviously she said no at the time, because every time he came back to her, he kept increasing the fee.

When I got home, she told me this, and I almost flipped, but then remember, this is a normal practice of shaw. What kinda joke is this? I will probably end up calling them tomorrow, however I don't think they will budge.

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
I have seen the thread here for so long but have been too lazy to post in here for some reason. lol

Well here's my opinion of Shaw CSR's;

I can't blame them for being so mis-informed, they are just doing their jobs with all the information that is provided to them, they are basically there for billing and the slight little problem - they are not kept up to date on current issues and new things in the company andn thats a shame and if I was to blame anyone I would blame management and especially those people in Calgary - I don't see the big secret behind not telling your customers that a new channel is coming before it comes, instead of saying we don't know - and please give your CSR's some new lines or standard e-mail forms as when you hear the same answer all the time its really annoying as "the CRTC regulates which channels we are allowed to have" or "channels are added based on success in other markets" or my favourite one "not enough bandwidth" and I think that one is a lie most of the time, why not tell your CSR's to tell us - well we don't have any transponder space left on our main satellite and therefore we cannot provide it to you, or that you are holding a grudge on certain other companies and you don't want to carry their channels, or something new - I want some new excuses from you guys :D

So overall - CSR's Good :D - communication to CSR's By upper level employees :(

But there are some CSR's are rude all the time - and I am not gonna mention their names, but those people annoy me :D

But overall - overall - I am pleased wuith Shaw customer service and I have no real problems with it - alot better than the customer service I have received from MTS on several occasions.

Shawguy

·
Registered
69 Posts
differences in CSR's

I also think there is a difference in the competence and knowledge between the telephone CSR's and the ones in the Shaw office.

I recently moved and found my Bell system wouldn't work because of line of site problems. I called Shaw and asked about incentives to switch from Bell to Shaw and was told Shaw would give my $198 for my 6100 box and they wouldn't buy my 3100 box. She said it was the best they could do. I subsequently went to Shaw's office in Victoria and the rep there told me they would buy both boxes and give me three months of total cable coverage for free!

I packaged my internet too, so now my total cost is down about $25 per month and that is not until my three months of free cable is over.

It was a different experience dealing with a live rep instead of a telephone one. Probably the reps in the office get more information and get is sooner than the other ones.

·
Banned
118 Posts
"Thank you sir, may I have another?".

I have had nothing but problems with Shaw and the 45-90 minute wait that I go through each and every time I have to deal with them does not even remotely constitute good service. There is no way that my experience is unique and it has happened to me (and friends) repeatedly. Either this thread gets censored or it's yet another example of the spineless Canadian mentality of putting up with whatever crap the institutions we have to deal with decide to dish out.

Ps Spare me the flames. I'm Canadian and I'm always stunned by the garbage that we are willing to tolerate with a smile.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Anytime I've called, I used the service to leave my phone number to call me back. Works great. Longest wait was 75 minutes. Average 20 minutes. In meantime I can do other things instead of listening to someone's elevator music while on hold.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Shaw

When my 6208 went tits up (flashing 8888) the shaw guy that came over told me that you the hdtv that we receive is not real hdtv because for real hdtv you need to have four cameras filming at the same time.
This is why he said you can not have movies in hdtv :eek:
I kid you not.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Quit Shaw

I would quit Shaw so fast if I had any alternative but Bell Expressvu does not have a satellite that will transmit Hdtv in my apartment building and I have already coughed up for the 6412 and a 6208

·
Registered
12 Posts
Will likely stand behind...

I've had a series of problems w/ my 6208 similar to all the others in the "Another 6208 bites the dust" thread. When I first called in Shaw had me attempt a reboot of the unit, this didn't work so an appointment w/ a tech was scheduled. The tech attempted to fix the unit but was unsuccessful & said we should take the unit back to where it was purchased. A trip to A&B Sound and I discover that A&B no longer sells Shaw units, the manager hasn't a clue what to do but provides me w/ a name & number to call during business hours. At this point I'm wary of the entire situation & send an e-mail to Shaw Help explaining my situation. In the e-mail I make note of the fact A&B no longer sells the product which is why I was taken aback by the responce from Shaw.

"Thank you for your email.

We would recommend that you consider going up the ladder at A&B Sound and speak with a store manager or even higher. All stores that sell electronics will likely stand behind their equipment. The DCT6208 is no longer a stocked terminal, but perhaps they will have a few refurbished terminals or perhaps they will cut you a deal on a new model."

I may have not been an English major but the use of "will likely stand behind" doesn't inspire confidence, nor does the idea that A&B may cut me a deal on a new model, especially considering the new model would by definition have to BEV or some other satillite service sold by A&B. Overall it was a very poor CS exp. and I'm dreading the day when my replacement 6208 (A&B Sound came through for me) crashes & I'm forced to repeat this w/ another Shaw CSR.

Eric Duckman

·
Registered
3 Posts
help

my digital cable works but for some reason I am only getting sound on certain channels, most of them do not have any sound, but good picture everything seems be working except the sound, but not on every channel! Does anyone know a 24 hour tech support number, or an idea, I could really use a hand PLEASE. :confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Beth said:
my digital cable works but for some reason I am only getting sound on certain channels, most of them do not have any sound, but good picture everything seems be working except the sound, but not on every channel! Does anyone know a 24 hour tech support number, or an idea, I could really use a hand PLEASE. help me somebody :confused:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
depends what area you live in but a standard number is 1-888-472-2222

Shawguy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Shaw Surprises

I just moved to Chilliwack - tried to get Bell (I was a Cogeco Cable HDTV guy in Ontario) here due to the HD channels but LOS problems. My only choice was Shaw so - I had a Motorla 6208 with PVR from Ontario I bought plus a DCT 2224. The first time I called (before I tried Bell) Shaw indicated I couldn't use either because they used different "chips" out here. So went to Bell, that didn't work. Back to Shaw, talked to another rep they said sure they will work so I proceeded. I worked a week with 3 different CS reps and they all worked hard to get my boxes working (in the middle of it all one guy said they could never get it working but I wouldn't take that answer again )- which they accomplished. So I didn't need to re-invest, I don't have the HD selection I would like but better than nothing. They indicated they haven't had many chances to re-register boxes from other places but I am glad I persisted.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Didn't want to start a new thread for our usual HD CSR complaint emails/responses so FYI I will add my lates:

My email:
I would like to register a complaint about your organizations inability to provide HD services in a timely manner. First you add Fox HD the week after the NASCAR season ends on Fox, and now you still don't offer TSN HD when they are broadcasting a Calgary game in HD as well as 20 other CFL HD games this season. Not to be sarcastic but I'm sure you will add TSN HD on November 5th a day after their CFL HD schedule is over for the year.

The response:
Thank you for your email.

We are currently working on several negotiations for more HD content to be available very soon. We expect to obtain 2 to 5 contracts which will bring to HDTV customers 2 to 5 additional HDTV stations. We currently do not have a time line as to when these will be available, since we are still undergoing these negotiations. From what we have been hearing these stations will be available very soon and they will be an awesome addition to our existing HDTV stations. If you wish to check on the status on changes upcoming in Shaw services, please feel free to visit the following site: http://shaw.ca. Sportsnet is already being broadcasted in HDTV format here at Shaw.

As for the TSN HDTV content, there is very little that is actually broadcasted in HDTV format. We have chosen not to dedicate an HD station for this network at this time. If you are interested to learn exactly what is broadcasted in HDTV format, please feel free to visit the following TSN website: http://tsn.ca/hd/tv_schedule.asp?sport=HD.

Please feel free to contact us, the local phone number for technical support can be found at http://support.shaw.ca/contacts.htm or visit our Customer Support Site at http://support.shaw.ca/.

Thank you for choosing Shaw.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just have to shrug my shoulders and laugh....

What I ask the CSR to do:

1) Cancel all my Cable TV services.
2) Buy out my rented cable modem

What I should be left with

1) High Speed Internet (no bundle discount)

CSR says 'Done' someone will be out in a few days to cut off the
basic cable channels at your house.

What happens:
1) My High Speed Internet gets cut off.
2) (Don't know what happened to cable TV as I have already switched
everything to BEV)

I call Internet Tech Support...they confer with CSR/Billing or whoever
and straighten everything out. My HS Internet comes back on.

Later that night.......
I find note on my door that the Shaw Cable guy was there to do a
HS Internet new customer install and I wasn't home.

The next day.....
My HS Internet gets cut off again. I call Internet Tech Support....they
conference everyone again. My HS Internet comes back on again.

No one is really sure what happened.
I take a look at my billing activity on-line to see if I can make sense of it.

:eek: :confused: :rolleyes: ;)<--- stages of bewilderment to capitulation

Have a laugh and check this out......
(the last number on each line is cumulative total)
(number followed by minus sign is refund)

Dear Sir / Madam:

For: Service At xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In response to your request for a statement of account, the analysis below
represents the status of your account as on the above date. Should you have
any further inquiries regarding this analysis, please contact our Customer
Service Representative who will be pleased to answer any additional questions
you may have. Office hours Monday to Sunday 7:30 am-10:00 pm. Phone 716-6000.

DATE CODE DESCRIPTION AMOUNT BALANCE

OPENING BALANCE ----- $0.00
24-Jul-05 050-001 Billing-Basic Cable Service 24.00 $24.00
24-Jul-05 050-251 Billing-Tier 1 13.95 $37.95
24-Jul-05 050-252 Billing-Tier 2 4.00 $41.95
24-Jul-05 050-253 Billing-Tier 3 5.00 $46.95
24-Jul-05 050-587 Billing-Digital Features Fee 1.99 $48.94
24-Jul-05 050-830 Billing-High-Speed Internet 42.95 $91.89
24-Jul-05 050-836 Billing-Additional IP Address 9.95 $101.84
24-Jul-05 050-884 Billing-Premiere Home Bundle 19.89- $81.95
24-Jul-05 050-780 Billing-Superstations 2.00 $83.95
24-Jul-05 050-970 Billing-G.S.T. 5.88 $89.83
13-Jul-05 005-001 Change In Service-Basic Cable 8.68- $81.15
13-Jul-05 005-251 Change In Service-Tier 1 5.04- $76.11
13-Jul-05 005-252 Change In Service-Tier 2 1.45- $74.66
13-Jul-05 005-253 Change In Service-Tier 3 1.81- $72.85
13-Jul-05 005-587 Change In Service-Digital Feat 0.72- $72.13
13-Jul-05 005-830 Change In Service-High-Speed I 15.53- $56.60
13-Jul-05 005-836 Change In Service-Additional I 3.60- $53.00
13-Jul-05 005-884 Change In Service-Premiere Hom 7.19 $60.19
13-Jul-05 005-780 Change In Service-Superstation 0.72- $59.47
13-Jul-05 005-001 Change In Service-Basic Cable 8.68 $68.15
13-Jul-05 005-894 Change In Service-Temporary Em 0.71 $68.86

CONTINUED ON FOLLOWING PAGE ........

STATEMENT OF ACCOUNT
AS AT: 15-Jul-05

CONTINUED ...

13-Jul-05 005-970 Change In Service-G.S.T. 1.47- $67.39
24-Jul-05 005-001 Change In Service-Basic Cable 24.00- $43.39
24-Jul-05 005-251 Change In Service-Tier 1 13.95- $29.44
24-Jul-05 005-252 Change In Service-Tier 2 4.00- $25.44
24-Jul-05 005-253 Change In Service-Tier 3 5.00- $20.44
24-Jul-05 005-587 Change In Service-Digital Feat 1.99- $18.45
24-Jul-05 005-830 Change In Service-High-Speed I 42.95- $24.50-
24-Jul-05 005-836 Change In Service-Additional I 9.95- $34.45-
24-Jul-05 005-884 Change In Service-Premiere Hom 19.89 $14.56-
24-Jul-05 005-780 Change In Service-Superstation 2.00- $16.56-
24-Jul-05 005-001 Change In Service-Basic Cable 24.00 $7.44
24-Jul-05 005-894 Change In Service-Temporary Em 1.95 $9.39
24-Jul-05 005-970 Change In Service-G.S.T. 4.06- $5.33
15-Jul-05 013-385 Transaction Fee 29.95 $35.28
15-Jul-05 004-894 Change In Service-Temporary Em 0.58- $34.70
15-Jul-05 004-385 Change In Service-Purchased Mo 1.48- $33.22
15-Jul-05 004-830 Change In Service-High-Speed I 12.71 $45.93
15-Jul-05 004-970 Change In Service-G.S.T. 2.84 $48.77
24-Jul-05 004-894 Change In Service-Temporary Em 1.95- $46.82
24-Jul-05 004-385 Change In Service-Purchased Mo 5.00- $41.82
24-Jul-05 004-830 Change In Service-High-Speed I 42.95 $84.77
24-Jul-05 004-970 Change In Service-G.S.T. 2.52 $87.29
15-Jul-05 005-001 Change In Service-Basic Cable 7.10- $80.19
15-Jul-05 005-385 Change In Service-Purchased Mo 1.48 $81.67
15-Jul-05 005-830 Change In Service-High-Speed I 12.71- $68.96
15-Jul-05 005-385 Change In Service-Purchased Mo 1.48- $67.48
15-Jul-05 005-830 Change In Service-High-Speed I 12.71 $80.19
15-Jul-05 005-970 Change In Service-G.S.T. 0.50- $79.69
24-Jul-05 005-001 Change In Service-Basic Cable 24.00- $55.69
24-Jul-05 005-385 Change In Service-Purchased Mo 5.00 $60.69
24-Jul-05 005-830 Change In Service-High-Speed I 42.95- $17.74
24-Jul-05 005-385 Change In Service-Purchased Mo 5.00- $12.74
24-Jul-05 005-830 Change In Service-High-Speed I 42.95 $55.69
24-Jul-05 005-970 Change In Service-G.S.T. 1.68- $54.01
15-Jul-05 BALANCE ----- $54.01

Yours Truly,
Shaw Cable

Internet Self Service
Customer Service Representative

2400 - 32nd Avenue N.E. CALGARY, ALBERTA T2E 9A7 716-6000

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just bought a digital cable terminal it took three tries to have it activared and more than 2 hours on the phone.Customer service reps were poor at best. I asked the last person there last name and was told " I am not allowed to give out that info"ya right just do not want a complaint against them for poor service. I bell did not want a signed contract I would tell shaw to bite me, I alrady did with internet.

·
Registered
131 Posts
considering leaving shaw

Ok i need some advice here. I have been with Shaw for a couple months now and really need satellite. problem is that is not an option at this point in time. new Condo, first floor patio, strata wont allow it, hard to run cable into the building as going thru a window would not work, they wont install unless i get permission by strata yadayadayada.......with nfl around the corner i need to get the HD box or even the digital box for now so i can order the sunday ticket. Okay my question is what can i get from shaw if i threaten to cancel. are they willing to do anything to keep a customer or will they let me walk. any advice or suggestion are welcome. i would also conside buying a digital box or the hd box if anyone is selling. already posted in forum but no responses. TIA.

21 - 40 of 943 Posts