Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I can ask, what Brand and technical designation of outdoor coaxial cable is Shaw currently using for residential installations? I would have posted in OTA cabling, but I think it's more related to Shaw. Thanks.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RG6

I was pretty certain, now with digital channels and internet they would have moved towards RG6. I read somewhere that their cable can have printed on it: "Property of Shaw Cable," but not any manufacturers markings. I would make the assumption that it's Belden. I saw some "Omega" RG6 coaxial at the hardware store advertising it's oxygen free solid copper, but I didn't think the jacket looked as durable as my old Belden. It's got a big red Maple Leaf on the package, but in fine print, at the very bottom, one sees it's manufactured in China. It had weather boots on each end but they barely went past the F-connector, so it wouldn't fit that well over a balun on an antenna.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RG6

Thanks querty-m4n

I've never used Commscope before. Thanks for the link too. I'll read up a bit more on it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Shaw uses Belden and Commscope. There isn't much difference between the two, except that the Commscope is easier to use in cold weather as the jacket doesn't seem to stiffen up the same. As far as indoor or outdoor cable, they only use one type that is suitable for indoor or outdoor use, generally black for outside and white for inside. The installers are told not to use the white cable for outdoor use because it isn't as UV resistant as the black, this however isn't true and the Belden rep was quite surprised when asked about it! I think most of the cable is all copper clad steel for the center conductor because of the cost of solid copper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts