Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Information about the channel realignment will be hitting the media today. There will not be any new channels launching but several channels are changing positions depending on your area.

Encore Avenue on channel 30 in many regions (other lower channel in some regions) will be converting to a digital channel and remain in the same tier. Speed (channel 41 in most markets) will also be converting from analogue to digital format as well and remain in the tier. Customer will be required to get a digital terminal to continue viewing the channels and Shaw can give them a free rental for the first while (6 or 12 months).

MSNBC and Nat Geo are moving to 50 & 51, Movietime to 92, NHL Network to 100, APTN, Vision, Score, MTV, MM, CPAC, TV5, CFTM, RDI & Provincial Leg are moving to 107-116 range.

All of the specialty language channels are moving to the 500 channel range.

It occurs:
Feb 9th for Victoria, Pender Island, Nanaimo-Duncan, Parksville, Protection Island, Port Alberni, Courtenay-Comox, Campbell River, Powell River
Feb 15th for Vancouver, Abbotsford, Squamish, Whistler, Bowen Island, Chilliwack, Hope
Feb 16th for Moose Jaw, Swift Current, Saskatoon, Prince Albert, Assiniboia
Feb 17th Winnipeg, Winnipeg Rural, Flin Flon-The Pas, Thompson, Kenora
Feb 22nd for Fort McMurray, Westlock, Edmonton, Edson, Hinton, Lloydminster, Vermillion, Drayton Valley, Stettler, Red Deer, Drumheller, Calgary, Canmore, Didsbury, Pincher Creek, Lethbridge, Fort MacLeod, Medicine Hat, Brooks, Cranbrook, Kimberley, Fernie and Fort St John, Dawson Creek
Feb 23rd for Merritt, Kamloops, Kelowna, Penticton, Vernon, Prince George, Quesnel, Williams Lake, 100 Mile House, West Kootenays Castlegar, Trail, Nelson, Creston, Panorama
Feb 24th for Atikokan, Fort Frances, Dryden, Thunder Bay, Nipigon, Red Rock, Sault Ste. Marie, Echo Bay, Manitouwadge, Wawa, Terrace Bay, Schreiber, Marathon

·
Registered
301 Posts
So does this mean any channels will be added here in Lloydminster? Seems like whenever there is a shuffle there are also additions. I am hoping this is the addition of Canadian Timeshifting or at the very least, CITY-TV (from Toronto hopefully) and OMNI.

·
Banned
206 Posts
I'm surprised no analog channels are being moved to digital in Winnipeg, especially considering we supposedly don't receive certain channels such as Sundance due to lack of room on the dial. Somehow they found room for HGTV HD, but I guess that has a higher priority than Sundance. Hopefully their changes will make some room anyway.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Where are the channel lineup changes for Sault Ste marie went to the shaw website to look but there doesn't seem to bee anything there

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We just grouped all of the HD sports channels together but the SD pick and pay channels are still spread all over the place.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
We just grouped all of the HD sports channels together but the SD pick and pay channels are still spread all over the place.
Maybe in other markets, but in Calgary 144-158 are all the sports together

But I see now that NHLN is not moving in some markets

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
Maybe in other markets, but in Calgary 144-158 are all the sports together

But I see now that NHLN is not moving in some markets
Although I don't have Shaw Cable/SD( have Rogers assuming it simular) I can understamnd channels 2-70 being slightly different in given Shaw local channels they have to carry or other certain channels.But since it appears most cable companies start there Digital line up channels between 71-100(100+)? why can't those channels be in the same spots? You may get the odd one like the Sports net ones for a certain team IE SENS,Flames etc, but those can easily be placed in the same spot IE Flames 444(in Calgary), 444 Oilers(in Edmonton), so I'm not sure why that can't be done. Now grant you I'm not aware of Shaw channel lines in each of their territories for Digital servicer so it maybe like that, that I don't know? :confused:

·
Banned
206 Posts
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about having the same lineup everywhere, I mean people in Calgary don't care what the line up in Winnipeg is like and vice versa, so who cares if it's the same everywhere or not? Sure it would benefit Shaw's csr's and tsr's a bit, but they just need to look on the computers and can see what the customers line up is and what not. So making the line up universal really doesn't make a difference to anyone.

Although I do think they should improve the line up, such as moving more channels to digital to free up precious bandwidth and group channels together better. Their "Flicks" channels are all over the place and as far as the "Sports" channels are concerned, they have a digital basic channel or Tier 4 channel in practically every second position on the dial, at least where i'm at, which seems ridiculous.

Speaking of which, their are digital basic and tier 4 channels all over the place, I doubt 99% of their customers know 100% of the channels they receive because they are scattered throughout the lineup! Shaw really needs to fix their line up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
So I looked up the channel changes for Sault Ste. Marie and there are only 8changes while Thunder Bay has many more (because they have more channels than us to being with).

The flowery explanation is that they are transitioning us to digital so we can get more channels (ie. moving analog channels to digital). They are moving 4 channels from 100s to the 110s and 4 channels from the high 100s to the 500s.

How is this going to help us get more channels? Isn't everything in the 100s already digital?

I'm getting tired of us having fewer channels than other markets. With their rates increasing again in April, they are going to be hearing from me again if they don't start giving us the some channels we're missing.

·
Super Moderator
4,480 Posts
No. Analog tuners can "see" up to channel 125 or even as high as Cable channel 135.

·
Banned
206 Posts
The previously posted links for the channel changes don't seem to be working anymore, not even the customer bulletins page seems to work.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts