Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Effective October 1, 2010, all Shaw Triple Play customers will have an extended warranty on their Digital TV equipment.

Triple Play Customers (Phone, Internet, & Digital Cable) will be given an extended warranty on their Digital TV equipment for as long as they are a Triple Play subscriber. The standard warranty still applies to non-Triple Play customers (3 years).

3 stipulations for the extended warranty program:
1) Non-transferable, which means the extended warranty does not ‘follow’ the equipment if it is sold or given to another customer.
2) The customer must be a Triple Play subscriber at the time the warranty is required.
3) This is only available in systems that offer all three products - Phone, Digital TV and Internet

This is a value added bonus available ONLY to Triple Play customers.

As always subject to change.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Shaw Guru, are there any restrictions on this? For example I still use a DCT 5100 (original HD box) that I purchased from Shaw years ago. If it died would they replace it?

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
RCNMoose, I would think if you bought it more than three years ago, then you would not be covered under this extended warranty.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shaw Guru, are there any restrictions on this? For example I still use a DCT 5100 (original HD box) that I purchased from Shaw years ago. If it died would they replace it?
We are still waiting for everything to be finalized so more details may come out soon cuz I had the same concern. I'm sure any swaps that would be done would be for used/refurbished equipment so there is no way to know exactly which model you would receive. You may get another 5100 (unlikely) or a 6200 (most likely) or a Pace Summit (very less likely right now due to stock).

·
Registered
195 Posts
@RCNMoose: Yes, if a Triple play customer has a faulty dct, you would qualify for the warranty program. However, if services are ordered to become a triple play customer then a warranty is requested, it would not.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
According to Post #1: "for as long as they are a Triple Play subscriber."

·
Registered
505 Posts
I signed up triple play in April 2010 and got 2 years free rental for a Pace PVR.

Recently, lot of Shaw customers have switched to Telus. Lot of the HD boxes are flooded at Kijiji. Couple of weeks ago, I picked up a Motorola DCT3416 for $75 with one year warranty left on it. Do I get the extended warranty in my situation? I am not the first owner of this DCT3416!

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Original warranty does transfer to subsequent owners (I bought a used PVR and checked with Shaw before I paid for it). Since your 'used' box is still under warranty, one would presume that since you already have it on your account (I'm assuming that you do) and this 'extended warranty' takes effect at the beginning of October, you should be fine.

As Shaw Guru states in Post #6: "We are still waiting for everything to be finalized so more details may come out soon..."

·
Registered
505 Posts
I did an online chat with Shaw. The extended warranty is only for 3 years after the standard 3 years warranty runs out. I have a 2 years old DCT3416. Therefore, I have 4 more years of warranty left as long as I remain in triple play. If I go out and buy a 4 years old box, I will only get 2 more years of warranty.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I wouldn't get too excited just yet. Once this comes in writing from Shaw, we will get the 'real' story. Everyone knows that you get a different story with each Rep you talk to so just wait until it is in writing before getting worked up about this 'too good to be true' type deal. When you think about it, Shaw is pretty good about swapping out bad equipment, even after the warranty is up, at least in my experience. They would rather keep you as a customer than lose you over a box that costs them a month or two of your cable bill.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Warranty Replacement-What Model?

My 4 year old 6416 has been acting up and it's likely that Shaw will be giving me a replacement as part of their new lifetime warranty for customers who have 3 of their services.

Assuming that the 6416 is no longer available I'm wondering what model they might give me? I checked out their site and the only models showing are the black 500GB and 1 TB units.

Could I luck out and get one of those or do they have older refurbs the hand out?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Unlikely. More likely they will replace it with either refurbished Pace unit or non-current Motorola. Either way let us know what you get.

Past January I called about my Motorola 6412 (second tuner died) and since it was past 3 year warranty I had to buy new box. With new "lifetime" warranty I'm going to try calling again.

·
Registered
737 Posts
To follow up. I was just denied in warranty replacement for Motorola 6412 purchased in December of 2005. Maybe this policy is not in effect yet? And, yes, I am "triple play subscriber" (phone, internet and TV)

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry for being away and not responding as was on vacation.

The new triple play warranty is definitely in affect. Was it a tech in your home or staff on the phone that said it would not be covered?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts