Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
So my question is, where did you get the idea, notion that Shaw is interested in Cell service? Corperate website, interview with a senior Shaw manager etc?
From what I hear Shaw is NOT looking at the cellular option strongly right now, they are in fact test out WiMAX though :cool:

·
Registered
77 Posts
what about PC Mobile, Solo, Virgin, etc.? Whose towers are they borrowing? Virgin has great plans for small minutes users, nothing for the air-whores like myself (cellular as home phone) or business clients.

I'm still stuck on Telus because, well, I get a great deal on a discontinued plan. I have no intention of signing another contract.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
What makes Shaw different is their relationship to Rogers in general, becasue of their sordid history in the cable TV buisness.

Companies like PetroCanada and 7-11 have no such baggage.

FWIW, CDMA phones could use a SIM like card called a R-UIM, which is law in Korea and a few other places (that aren't USA or Canada) where CDMA dominates. The card and such unlocked R-UIM slot cpable CDMA phones are as universal on those CDMA networks as unlocked GSM phones are on GSM networks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Shaw has a closer business relationship with Bell since they use BELL for their Digital Phone service. Shaw and Rogers are arch enemies.

For those two reasons I would think Shaw would do some sort of Cell phone deal with Bell. I'd rather use GSM but if Shaw did CDMA I'd still consider them

21 - 29 of 29 Posts