Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1461 - 1480 of 1501 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
@kevinp79 if you would like me to assist, just send me a message and I'd be happy to help out
Thanks for the offer. Apparently our distinctive ring is now working. I still never received any emailed explanation or response as I requested and was promised "within 24 hours."

Two weeks, 5 calls, 4 chat sessions, 1 service disconnection attempt, and a near complaint to CRTC and I am getting the service I have paid for religiously over a decade to work. Not impressed.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Here is the full prices for both Residential and Business

Residential
Internet 5
55/month

Internet 15
66/month

Internet 30
75/month

Internet 60
95/month

Internet 150
49.90/month for Year 1
79.90/month for Year 2

Regular Price
135.00/month

Business
Internet 5
51.95/month 3 year term

Internet 20
60.95/month 3 year term

Internet 30
78.95/month 3 year term

Internet 60
102.95/month 3 year term

Internet 150
119.95/month 3 year term

So 20 and lower. Residential is more expensive. 30 and higher, business is more expensive.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Considering most people keep internet service for many years, you can't really go by time-limited sale pricing.

Business internet is more expensive than residential.
Just because you do something for life does not mean you start paying and stay with it for the duration!

The sale I referred to is a 2 year duration so I think I can use it in a comparison because I also will look at Telus and other options every year or so and switch to get the best deal. So yes a sale is fair to compare to in many cases.
For anyone who signed up for a 2 year duration of business internet at a price cheaper than regular, it is a fair comparison.
For those who got a good price on the real high speed service, even if only for 2 years, they are paying less...............
Anyway the business internet sale is over but for anyone who took the deal..:)

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Disappointing

its my own fault but i have regrets about taking the Shaw bait and 2yr deal. :( I am came from rock solid Telus tv and internet. I thought at the least that Shaw cable portion would be more stable. I was wrong. Today was and is an extremely bad day for pixelation/stuttering etc. Pretty disappointed. As well I don't get anywhere near the up to 150 speed on internet via wifi or a direct connection. Another disappointment.

But saying that I have yet to call Shaw tech support to see about issues on their end or issues with my box or router.

I have had the service for about a month or month and a half now. Regretting taking the bait.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I'd contact Shaw tech support. It sounds like a signal issue, maybe with your lines. My Shaw service gets about 160-175 Mbps down and 15 Mbps up, on a wired computer with a gigabit Ethernet port. If you're getting substantially slower speeds, or if you have picture problems on your TV (as seems to be the case), you've probably got signal issues which you'd need to schedule a tech in order to fix.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Thanks. The cable picture hasn't been too bad the past couple of days. But overall a bit shaky. I'll call them and explain things. The speed I've been monitoring.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
My account online?

My rant is regarding usage and navigation of my account online. I find it's easy to login . Can I not add theme packs, pick and pay and other programming via my Account? Only way is to call?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I sign up for TV every year around Christmas for December and January. Cable box is hooked up, no filters on the line, everything is ready. It'd be nice if I could simply activate it at will online. Nope! Heck, they had to dispatch a tech last year to read the serial number off the box because they insisted I read it wrong. Turns out they had the box set up incorrectly in the system.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Goodbye Shaw

Finally pulled the trigger. My Shaw bill went up to $160 for cable and internet (with no rental fee as I have my own equipment). Insane --> I was paying $105 for more services just two years ago.

Moving over to Novus for a fraction of the price for faster internet and more channels. Never again Shaw. My equipment is going up on Craigslist.

·
Registered
761 Posts
If I had Novus as an option I would have been using their internet service in a heartbeat. Why did it take you so long to make the Internet switch to Novus?

·
Registered
458 Posts
In another thread i posted my intent to cancel Shaw for the main reason of the lack of full HD availability on Shaw. Almost zero communication of why in 2018 Shaw still is not HD and when, if ever, it will happen. The "let them eat cake" attitude on Shaw forum. "Just fill out this new channel request form" that they then ignore.

I came back to Shaw in October 2016 from Telus (do not even remember why i made the move. But i think it was due to the Internet 150 deal). Then in June of 2017 i decided to "upgrade" to Shaw Bluesky with the hope that since this is not traditional cable, it would be full HD. Nope. I had planned to keep Shaw until June this year (so 12 months remaining on term) but on April 03 2018 i decided i could not wait any longer.

Got on phone to loyalty. Told them my intent to cancel service to be effective end of billing cycle May 14 2018. Told them generally i was ok with the service. The main reason is the HD. The loyalty rep seemed surprised that 99% of channels on Telus are HD. Did not really offer me anything to try to keep me, except to suggest i pick other channels that are HD. I do not want other channels i want the ones i watch to be in HD.

So that is done. Called Telus next and got everything set up. They coming out tomorrow (April 05) to do the install.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I, too, left Shaw because of the lack of HD and the useless Channel Request form (a hoax?). Anyway, my only regret is I didn’t do it sooner. I am very happy with TelusTV. I have the channels I wanted in HD now and I really like the interface, as well as the 4K PVR, wireless set top boxes and some 4K content. My 150 Internet usually clocks around 170. I hope you will be as happy as I am.

By the way, I’m paying less for TelusTV and Internet than I was paying Shaw, and have more HD, as well as Internet 150 rather than 50.

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
I wonder if the bean counters would notice if everyone that cancelled said it was due to the poor HD offerings on Shaw. Is there bandwidth problems at Shaw? Does it cost more to have both the SD and HD channels? Is it the Jedi mind trick? (waves hand) "you dont need those channels in HD"

·
Registered
458 Posts
ok. fair point 57.

let me rephrase that to

Telus has 99% of the channels i would pay for in my package as available in HD.

just looked at some of the channels i get. I sure hope it is a typo on the Telus Website. They show Hollywood suite as SD only?
Same for BBC Earth and Smithsonian. not cool if true.

just looked at the link from 57. looks like typo on Telus website. The link shows them as HD But there is conflicting info from the link to the website. The "Nature and Culture" theme has Smithsonian on the website but is missing from the link

but the linked channel list sure looks like almost all channels are HD. All the main english language themes are HD, pretty close to 99%. They even have The Weather Network in HD. Still much better than what Shaw has.

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
Does it cost more to have both the SD and HD channels?
Yes it does. All different options are negotiated and paid for separately (or as part of a package negotiation)

- SD
- HD
- OD (usually for a limited time)
- OTT (streaming)
- Sometimes DD5.1, etc. You get the drift.

Many of the less watched channels simply don't have enough demand to make it worth the provider's while to pay for the HD version. For example, some people complain about certain channels not being available in HD on a certain provider, but there may only be a few hundred people watching that channel. (The provider can check the viewing habits of users to determine internal decision making)

1461 - 1480 of 1501 Posts