Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 737 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
This thread is to discuss programming and packages available from Shaw Cable in 2011.

This is the thread to post in if you are investigating changing your programming on Shaw or investigating what is available on Shaw.

This thread replaces the previous thread which was getting long.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Fully Loaded

It seems Bite TV is not included in the fully loaded package. I know there was an issue with Oasis HD not included either but that was fixed. Any idea on when a new fully loaded package will be introduced?

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey everyone, new here, and hoping to do some research in order to find myself the best deal for tv!

right now i am with bell, and have been since 2007. The latest retention i was offered was really not that great, and i've heard similar stories from lots of others who have gone to renew their retention deal that bell has seemed to cut back this year on giving out a nice deal. For the record my current programming for TV & HD (no movies) comes out to $73 + 20% discount =$60+after taxes. I have put a temp. suspension on this account now as i'm not using it much and living at my gf's house for the time being.

I am moving out on my own in march, and started looking at all the services i'll need at my new house. I thought it might be easier to go with shaw, and get everything bundled in, and also noticed the possibility of getting the shaw basic cable + hd plus for $52.95 (edmonton). I checked, and this has all the channels necessary to keep myself and the wifey happy!

the only thing im concerned about is the receivers from shaw. I called and asked if they are still doing the bell receiver trade in, but the CSR i had spoken to on the phone told me that they are only giving back out basic SD receivers as a trade.

He did however, say that they're running a promo, that getting basic cable + internet+phone would only be $79.99 a month for 6 months, add on HD Plus at 1/2 price for $8, and the services would only be $88 for the first half year. He also said i could purchase into it now and just have the install at the later date when the house is finished.

Does anyone know if the trade in deal is still on for trading a basic Bell receiver and getting back an HD PVR?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Not sure where the info came from that the Sat Swap program was only for SD equipment. I just confirmed with a sales support team member that the program is definitely still in effect and for a bell system you would receive an HD PVR and an SD DCT 700 as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Am I being ripped off?

I have been with shaw forever! Im from Richmond, BC and i have the following package:

I get HD Plus and High Speed internet for $115.95/month.

Am I being ripped off?

Also, I own a Motorola HD box without PVR capabilities and a cheap digital only box.

I really want a HD PVR. Should I switch to Telus Optik? They are offering basically the same thing that I am getting now for only $112/month ($65 for first 3 months) and a free HD PVR and a free xbox 360.

Thank you!

·
Registered
95 Posts
That is the going rate for those services.

As for your HD box, did you just buy a new 3200? That is the only Motorola non PVR that I'm aware of. If you did just buy it, perhaps Shaw will allow you to return it and buy a 3400.

Also, remember with Telus if they are providing you with goodies that it requires a time commitment.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Likely you have a Motorola 6200 model which was one of the first HD DCT produced. Until the end of the month there is promo pricing on the PVRs so call Shaw and see what the offers are.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Prices should be equal IMO, but there is no regulation for those multicultural services. The price is negotiated with the Fairchild Group I believe. Also to note that Talentvision is on Tier 4 in Shaw Vancouver area.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Shaw "mailer" to "Current Occupant"

1. Digital TV (upgrade to a HD box for access to free HD content)

2. High-Speed Extreme Internet

3. Home Phone Basic

$79.95/mth for first six months

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have been with shaw forever! Im from Richmond, BC and i have the following package:

I get HD Plus and High Speed internet for $115.95/month.

Am I being ripped off?

Also, I own a Motorola HD box without PVR capabilities and a cheap digital only box.

I really want a HD PVR. Should I switch to Telus Optik? They are offering basically the same thing that I am getting now for only $112/month ($65 for first 3 months) and a free HD PVR and a free xbox 360.

Thank you!
I'm in a similar situation, my bill is $138.85 per month for:
- Basic Phone + voicemail
- High Speed internet
- HDTV with HD Plus
- HDPVR, SDPVR

I'm getting another HDTV, so would need to replace the SD PVR with an HD box. Knowing that just a simple HD Box is $178 and a HDPVR is at least $300, I started to look at what Telus has to offer.

With their current incentives for new customers, I can get the following:

- Optik TV with Your Pick Combo
- Optik High Speed
- Home Phone with 5 features
- HDPVR (free rent for 3 years), HD Digital Box (free rent for 3 years), Xbox (with 2 year internet)

Over three years it works out to $5,016 versus $4,998 for Shaw (assuming no price changes in that time). Essentially the same price, but with the following improvements:
- HD on both of my TVs
- PVR Anywhere eliminates need for second PVR
- 15 Mbps versus 7.5 Mbps download speed (I understand that the 15Mbps can be lowered by TV usage)
- 1 Mbps versus 0.5 Mbps upload speed
- 125GB/month (currently soft cap) versus 60GB/month (increasingly hard cap).
- Xbox

Seems like a simple choice if Optik TV works as advertised. The higher bandwidth alone makes it very attractive.

I called Shaw to ask what they could do to keep my business, and got a bunch of arguments about how contracts are bad, most people don't need more than 60GB per month, etc., summed up with "we don't price match, and we don't give away hardware". I was talking to whoever answers when you select "disconnect service" from the menu, which I don't think is the retentions department. Maybe I'd get a different answer from them.

I don't have any complaints with my current Shaw service, and switching is a bit of a hassle, but Shaw sure doesn't seem to care if they lose a customer.

·
Banned
11 Posts
LSTimesTv - How much?

I got a friend who wants to know how much it'll cost monthly to pick up LSTimesTv (CH 199), as the free preview will end on Jan 16?

Thanks for any replies:)

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
After preview has ended, customers must subscribe to Fairchild and add LS Times for $2.95 (except in Vancouver)

Vancouver customer can subscribe to the Cantonese TV Pack if they wish to subscriber to LS Times TV which includes Fairchild (East & West) and LS for $9.95/month

·
Registered
502 Posts
Is the Asian TV pack still available? I have that on my account for $7/month--Fairchild East/West, Talentvision and Phoenix TV. How would LS Times subscription work with that pack?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Looking into it further it appears as though for Lower mainland customers the only way to get the LS TIMES channel is to subscribe specifically to the Cantonese Package.

The Cantonese package includes Fairchild East and West and LS TIMES. These channels are available in other areas as individual channels it's just in Vancouver they have combined them together in a value package.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is Shaw Digital Value Bungle just another Sweet Thereafter

In the process of signing up with Telus Optik. I requested Telus meet the Shaw Digital Valu Bundle price of $ 41.95/month. Telus' equivalent would be Medium HD package at $ 50 month (I think).
Telus Medium package doesn't include even basic Sports like TSN.
Telus declined to match Shaw Value Bundle pricing and said it was only a temporary 'incentive' package.

Sure, the Telus Optik package has some attractive incentives but recommend you read the sentences beginning with 'Thereafter...'

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Shaw has just recently added in some new "Value Bundles".

5 new Value Bundles were added this week for 2011 to complement the exisiting one created last year. Shaw's website is still in the process of being updated but some are up there to see searching under "Value Bundle". Half of these options do not suffer from the HD linkage requirements of having both SD and HD variants.

1 - 20 of 737 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.