Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 521 Posts

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two years is a long time, in this fast changing business, with others already providing many more HD channels.
The fact of the matter is Shaw has always had the much weaker line-up of HD channels in comparison to other BDUs. This is nothing new at all and I don't expect this to change anytime soon. Not unless Shaw Cable begins major carriage deals independently of Shaw Direct which is highly doubtful considering the two companies are becoming more integrated every year.

·
Registered
488 Posts
if that's what it is then they must be including shaw Hamilton which is kind of weird since
that area still has there own separate website

·
Registered
462 Posts
@shaw champ, not that i watch global much, but what is the reason there is not globalhd in Saskatoon? I believe this to be on topic as it would be a new channel in my area.

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
According to the lasted data reported, as of 30 November 2010 Shaw has 2,326,766 Basic Cable customers, 1,713,135 or 73.6% had Digital Cable and 790,000 customers are HD capable representing 46.1% of Digital Cable customers and 40.0% of Basic Cable customers. Also 73.6% of Shaw Cable's video subscribers now have Digital Cable set top boxes. How do these numbers stack up to other BDUs? The trend that I see is that growth of the Digital Cable penetration has started to slow to 3.78% (for example Shaw's Digital Cable penetration was 70.7% and 56.7% at August 31, 2010 and 2009) and by the end of the current fiscal quarter I expect Digital Cable penetration to hover around 76.5% unless there is an uptick in the amount for forced digital cable migrations through the ending of the analog simulcast of either the 3 Classic Cable tiers or all analog cable channels. In the fiscal quarter between 31 August 2010 and 30 November 2011 Shaw Cable grew its base of HD capable customers from just over 725,000 to just over 790,000 representing an increase of about 8.97%.

·
Registered
29 Posts
We keep hearing these "grumblings" about CBC News Network HD but it never seems to come. With all the things going on in the world lately I've been watching it more and more and frankly the picture just sucks.

We get CNN in HD which is utterly useless, why can't we have CBC like every other system seems to have already? Anyone know when its coming?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I wonder if there has been any interest in bringing Spike HD to Canada? I know it exists in the US. Though with HD channels, I am unsure what CRTC regulations have to be followed for an existing US SD channel to have an HD equivalent. Granted, TNA iMPACT is the only show I'd care about on Spike.

As far as the CTV/CBC/Global affiliates is there any timeline on when they have to go HD or are they only being forced to go to digital?

·
Registered
115 Posts
With a Federal Election underway, Shaw should have immediately brought us CBC News Network HD. I can see no legitimate excuse for its not being there. To me it is a sign of poor corporate citizenship. CTV News would be another good addition, except that like Space and other CTV products, there is no HD version.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Global Saskatoon HD

Hey everyone,
A new golf promo is going on in Saskatoon titled "Swing into Spring with Global Saskatoon HD". It's a way to get people to notice that Shaw will be adding the Global HD channel soon. However, I can not find a launch date anywhere ... Does anyone have any info about this? The question has been asked on Global Saskatoon's Facebook page, but as of now nobody has replied.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
@dtrain it's going to be within the next couple of months, there is no specific date yet sorry. I can tell you though I'm confident it will launch on channel 211 as part of HD basic.

The Swing into Spring promo runs till April 11th so it will be after that and probably before the end of May.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Currently Calgary, Edmonton, and Red Deer receive the Toronto feed of CBC HD. Effective April 1st, 2011, the following changes will take place:

· Calgary will receive the new HD feed of CBC Calgary

· Edmonton will receive the new HD feed of CBC Edmonton

· Red Deer will receive the new HD feed of CBC Edmonton

· The channel location will be channel 209 (where CBC HD Toronto currently resides) as an HD Basic Service.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I had forgot to add to the above post (to late to edit sorry).

PVR setting / scheduled recordings may need to be adjusted! When the guide data is updated for these service changes any series recording created for CBC Toronto HD will no longer be valid.

We are looking at a late morning / early afternoon change over.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had forgot to add to the above post (to late to edit sorry).

PVR setting / scheduled recordings may need to be adjusted! When the guide data is updated for these service changes any series recording created for CBC Toronto HD will no longer be valid.

We are looking at a late morning / early afternoon change over.
Is there some reason they can't inform their customers of these changes? Maybe in a message on the menu? I almost missed recording my favorite show. If it wasn't for my son flipping through the future recodings I wouldn't have known.

1 - 20 of 521 Posts