Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

401 - 420 of 458 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,839 Posts
Format - Channel: BlueCurve number/"Basic" channel number for HD, SD usually varies by city

February 1 - February 29, 2020
Rewind: 456/varies
Silver Screen Classics: 458/varies

February 3 - April 5, 2020
BBC Earth: 526/248
Smithsonian: 424/247
Makeful: 555/varies

February 24 - April 13, 2020
Salt + Light: 574/varies

February 28 - March 31, 2020
Family East: 331/192
Family (West): 332/varies
Family Junior: 302/varies
CHRGD: 314/193

Note: Shaw Direct has Crave 1 and HBO on preview February 14 - 17, so there's a possibility Shaw Cable will as well, but it's not listed.

·
Registered
158 Posts
On Friday Shaw's website had Crave TV listed on free preview. Today is Tuesday and now it's not there.

Dave you're a friggen doctor, I demand get to the bottom of this chicanery NOW!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
17,839 Posts
@Classy1 even a doctor can't fix what's wrong at Shaw. ;) I heard they put BBC World News on preview instead of BBC Earth for several days until somebody probably complained and they realized their mistake.

I looked at Shaw Cable's preview page a few times over the last week and noticed they had Crave TV on preview, but no mention of HBO, as recently as Tuesday morning. Crave issued a press release confirming the preview on Shaw and will probably include some titles on demand.

"From Friday, Feb. 14 to Sunday, Feb. 16, three of Crave’s premium linear channels – Crave 1, HBO 1, HBO 2 – will be available free of charge..."

·
Super Moderator
17,839 Posts
Shaw hasn't updated their preview page, but I've confirmed these channels are on preview, assuming the dates are the same as the other providers.
Format - Channel: BlueCurve number/"Basic" channel number for HD, SD usually varies by city

March 1 – April 30, 2020
HGTV: 402/244
National Geographic: 429/241
Slice: 404/254

March 2 – May 3, 2020
T+E: 552/varies
Cottage Life is on national preview, but isn't available on Shaw Cable. (yet)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Now I'm going to ask a dumb question. I'm assuming to get these "Free" channels, you need to subscribe to something TV wise with Shaw? Also, I'm assuming you need a Shaw box of some kind and it's not just free through the good ol coaxial?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yes, there is no analog cable any more, you need one of their boxes to receive digital or IPTV. Whether that box would receive anything without having TV service, I rather doubt it.

·
Super Moderator
17,839 Posts
Shaw still hasn't updated their web pages, however I've learned that they've now enabled the free preview for Cottage Life in Winnipeg.

·
Super Moderator
17,839 Posts
Shaw updated their web page with the news channel previews that started March 13.

CBC News Network Expires March 31, 2020
CTV News Channel Expires April 17, 2020
LCN Le Canal Nouvelles Expires April 13, 2020

Treehouse March 13 - March 31.

They also added the channels I posted previously: HGTV, Nat Geographic, Slice, Cottage Life, but forgot to list T+E.

New info:
Crime + Investigation March 2 - May 31, 2020
Out TV - April 1 - April 30, 2020

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey Dr. Dave, can you give us any new updates on shaw free previews.

I saw you post on other threads that super channel may be on free preview, but i don't see it here.

FX in my area is on free preview now (not on april the 13th) but FXX is not on free preview yet

thanks for all the work and info you give us.

·
Super Moderator
17,839 Posts
@Classy1 sorry I don't have any inside info about Shaw participating in any particular preview. They haven't updated their web page, which is understandable under the current circumstances. The press release about the FX preview was a little confusing. FXX was kind of tagged on at the end as an afterthought.

Blue Ant has extended Makeful, BBC Earth, Love Nature and Smithsonian Channel Canada until April 30, but I don't know if Shaw plans to participate in Love Nature.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Can a Shaw Cable Subscriber Confirm that Silver Screen Classics and Rewind is part of free preview. A friend who is a subscriber tell that they are not.

·
Super Moderator
17,839 Posts
Shaw has extended the following previews through April 30, according to their web page.

CBC News Network
CTV News Channel
LCN Le Canal Nouvelles
Treehouse
Family
Family Jr
Family CHRGD
HGTV
Nat Geographic
Slice

FX Expires May 11, 2020.

----

Shaw sets the previews by city, at least for the old system. I'm pretty sure they also have to do Blue Curve separately as well. Mistakes happen. For example, see the discussion about Cottage Life, where it was available in one city on the old system, but not in Winnipeg until a week later. Sometimes they end the preview of an HD channel and forget the SD, or vice versa.

Here is the current status for the old system in Winnipeg:
Shaw did not extend the Blue Ant channels, however, Smithsonian is still available.
Silver Screen Classics and Rewind are not available.
FXX and Super Channel are not available.

401 - 420 of 458 Posts