Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Cable analogue to digital migration

195875 Views 490 Replies 123 Participants Last post by  Dr.Dave
I received a notice from my apartment building, who bundles basic cable into my rent, and was told that Shaw needs to install digital boxes to remain receiving basic cable. Makes no difference to me since I already have a HD PVR, an HD box (awaiting a new TV to hook it up to as it is a rental) and a SD box. But here in Lloydminster are they phasing out analog cable altogether or did my apartment building make this decision?

If so, does this mean that Lloydminster will finally receive all the channels Shaw offers elsewhere such as Canadian Timeshifting and Superchannel? I would assume this would be a solution to the finite capacity issue as I understand that digital has a higher capacity (possibly infinite like IPTV) and could carry all of these channels without a capacity issue.
1 - 15 of 491 Posts
Probably best to contact Shaw or the person who is in charge of your apartment.

I am like you, if my condo does go to All-digital. I already have 3 boxes. 1 HDPVR in m living room. 1 HD + PVR Expander in my bedroom and SD box in my gameroom.

You would need to subscribe to those channels to get them but they will be available to everyone in the household but those are digital channels anyways.
You need subscribe to the Canadian Timeshift to get them. The US one, before it was merged with the Canadian one was grandfathered in as the US one was free with digital cable.

I wouldn't hold my breath and expect your building to pay for the new boxes or your boxes. It is worth a try but like I said, I wouldn't hold my breath.
That is not what I said. For you to get the Canadian Timeshift, you must subscribe to it even if you are grandfathered with the US Timeshift.
Oh sorry.

Then you will be getting the Canadian time shift channels when they do have them.
Just got it in Thunder Bay as well. Luckily for me. All 3 TVs I have are hooked up to a receiver.
My area in Thunder Bay is schedule for the DNU on July 23. According to the letter I got yesterday.
Thunder Bay got the DNU yesterday. The 2 new TMN channels are there. On one TV. I plugged it in directly to the cable and CNN was gone.
In Thunder Bay. MTV moved to digital. I assumed it had to do with bandwidth regarding getting the new TSN channels and The Weather Network HD.
Not when I left for camp yesterday.

H2 HD went to 270. I am guessing it will come on the 3rd with the changing of the CBC and CTV channels.

Update: Came home from camp. I saw the new TSN channels. TSN4 SD is on 9 and on the 184. Shaw forum says it was released yesterday. I left my place for camp at 10am.
You will lose signal strength though because whenever I split the cable twice. (Once for the TV and Internet) and then the TV got split again, for the STB and the RF cable) I lost a few channels. it is worth a try.
1 - 15 of 491 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.