Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,639 Posts
I know someone who just switched from the Shaw Gateway to BlueSky and they got the V3 PVR. I don't know if they were offered a choice.

Anyone getting a new BlueSky system should probably request the 4K PVR if they have a 4K TV or plan on getting one soon.

My guess is Shaw will only swap PVRs on request and may not do so until they start offering the 4K channels.

·
Registered
66 Posts
How do you determine the version of Bluesky PVR you have? I had Bluesky installed last week and I'm not sure of which PVR version was installed.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I noticed some similarities with the new PVR and the modem. It has the same triangle shaped holes on it and matches the modem color.

Sure is fast and I can speed through the menus and guide. This is a nice change :D

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I have the Xi6 in my home and it is definitely 4K. They have currently 6 fulltime 4K channels on the service. Those channels are included in my current package, but unfortunately I don't have a 4K Tv, and have no plans to get one. The older Xi5 that is/was used by Comcast in some markets is not 4K capable. I think Comcast has just started to use the Xi6 in some locations.
Which channels are listed as 4K?

·
Registered
132 Posts
What channels if any are available in 4K from Shaw with this box in Manitoba? I note from the features list that "While the XG1v4 is HDR capable, this functionality is not yet enabled." So watching Netflix through your smart TV or PC might be a better option to be able to engage HDR features that this box cannot pass through. What does Net flix cost from Shaw?
Only 500 GB? It appears as though the E-Sata port is non functional as well so no expander.

Anyone have one of these what are your views on it and its operation? How does it compare to the Gateway? No phone app for this box either.

·
Super Moderator
18,639 Posts
No linear 4K channels have been added since this discussion restarted a month ago. Don't expect much beyond the 2 TSNs and 2 Sportsnets when they are added - there isn't enough 4K content to justify mainstream linear entertainment channels yet.

Netflix is the same price through Shaw. You can add your existing Netflix account to Bluesky to take advantage of the integrated global search and voice remote.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi There!

Wondering if Shaw is currently Broadcasting any 4K Channels? All they talk about on their website is Netflix & YouTube Content being available in 4K.

Also is their latest 4K receiver the Xi6 or is it the XG1v4?

Thanks In Advance!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks Dr. Dave!

Does the Xi6 or XG1v4 have to be networked together via WiFi or can you use Ethernet for a more reliable / stable connection?

It looks like the in order to use the Xi6 you must be using the Shaw Gateway as your Router.

Do you know if that is the same requirement for the XG1v4 too? Or can you use it with a third party Router?

It seems like both boxes functionally work the same and will provide the same content and quality.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I'm in Kelowna and have two XG1v4-A boxes and they, and my Shaw WIFI router, are connected by Coax cable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Interesting... so does that mean the your service is still run through the Shaw Gateway but your receivers are networked via Coax. Or does your service come in from the street via Coax as well?

Thanks I Advance!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I see I have to update my equipment list as I no longer have a Gateway and Gateway portals. My apartment continues to be serviced by coax cable to my service room and split to three distribution points by coax. I have four pieces of Shaw equipment connected via Coax cable: two XG1v4-A boxes, a WIFI hub and a land line telephone.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts