Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 668 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
@Shaw Guru
Do you know if Speed will be on Digital "Tier 4", Digital Basic, or pick-and-pay?
As mentioned Speed will remain in Tier 3. It will not be available any other way than subscribing to that tier.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Shaw Guru said:
Just got more info that says this may also affect some customers in Calgary and Edmonton:

Customer in edm area who has OMP on HGTV HD channel 231 may also see OMP on channel 48, 49 (357 MHz). If only these channels are affected, we will need to book a work order to remove the tier 3 filters.
Shaw service call this evening in EDM. Tech came out and tested signal strength at terminal, everything OK. Mentioned to him this thread on the forum and had him go out tto the cable box to replace the filter. All is well, got my HGTV on 231.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Also not getting HGTVHD 231 in Vancouver. Shaw installled an analog filter months ago when we dropped T1/2/3. I guess I'll have to call Shaw. FYI, I checked and HGTVHD 231 in Vancouver is at 417MHz, which is the same frequency as Comedy 57.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Not getting HGTVHD

I'm in Calgary and do not subscriber to Tier 3, and as such do not receive HGHD on channel 231. I called Shaw and had a tech come out, however he argued vehemently about the filter and refused to remove/replace it. I'm also disappointed to see that with the upcoming shuffle that this is not being dealt with.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Does Shaw actually have a different filter(s) that they can use to allow this channel to pass?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hgtv--hd 231

I have spoken to Shaw re 231 three times & had a techie visit. I still do not receive 231. However, on the last call (Feb 8th.) I was informed Shaw are writing a fix which would be uploaded to PVR in a few days----still waiting.

Reason appears to be if you do not receive tier 3 you will not receive 231.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yeah I thought it was a clearly established principle that on shaw sd channels are not a prerequisite to having hd channels. I sure hope so because when my deals are up I plan to dump tiers 1, 2 and 3 to save $42.00 a month.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The reason why HDTV HD is blocked in some areas is that in some areas (Vancouver region, Calgary) Shaw placed the channel physically in the same region that contains classic analog cable channels. When a subscriber removes the classic cable channels from their account, Shaw will eventually install physical filters that block the range of frequencies that contain those analog channels. This mean the only real option if to move HGTV HD frequency from where it is currently being blocked to another region where it isn't being filtered. This is the only real option available to Shaw and I don't know why it's taking so long for them to fix this.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Yeah I thought it was a clearly established principle that on shaw sd channels are not a prerequisite to having hd channels. I sure hope so because when my deals are up I plan to dump tiers 1, 2 and 3 to save $42.00 a month.
Just a heads up that Tiers 1,2, & 3 work out to $25 per month when bundled together in your package. Still a healthy savings for you though.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Shaw office called me today to say that HGTV HD (channel 231) is going to change frequencies "tomorrow", and they also told me they didn't know what time of day the "frequency change" would take place, and to check back in the mid week sometime. The rep also said the channel would remain on channel 231 in the Vancouver area. I had originally had a service call to re-activate the channel as I don't have Tier 1/2/3. HD Plus customer.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Anybody know when(if) CTV is going to start carrying CKY HD (Winnipeg)? This channel is already being carried on MTS Ultimate TV (ch 453, I think).

I sent an email to Shaw and all I got was "There are many different factors that contribute to the selection of programming and we are always looking to expand our services. Please be assured, we have noted your request."

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I'm not sure about that specific station however i can comment on similar situations in the past. The local CTV station must start broadcasting over the air (OTA) and also supply a feed to the local service provider. Once the local CTV has started broadcasting over the air then Shaw is required to carry it. I would suspect that CTV is not broadcasting OTA yet and that is why it is not on the lineup yet.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Just a heads up that Tiers 1,2, & 3 work out to $25 per month when bundled together in your package. Still a healthy savings for you though.
Thanks SG, I was going by the amounts for the individual tiers shown on my account history page but it makes sense that there's a bundle price.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I'm not sure about that specific station however i can comment on similar situations in the past. The local CTV station must start broadcasting over the air (OTA) and also supply a feed to the local service provider. Once the local CTV has started broadcasting over the air then Shaw is required to carry it. I would suspect that CTV is not broadcasting OTA yet and that is why it is not on the lineup yet.
I know it's not OTA yet, and therefore Shaw's not legally required to carry it or simsub it (not even sure if those legal requirements exist anymore with Fee For Carriage), and this appears to be a soft launch since neither MTS nor CKY has mentioned it officially.

However, competitively it doesn't make sense for CKY to purposely limit their channel distribution, and it also doesn't make sense for Shaw to refuse to carry a local HD channel (especially when they could swap out CTV Toronto).

This also puts MTS at a really big advantage if they choose to advertise the fact that they're the only one carrying CKY HD. They're already stealing customers from Shaw with their more flexible bundles, and their multi-room, triple-tuner HDPVR.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I disagree with the idea that it doesn't make sense for Shaw to carry it competitively. Just the opposite. No CKY-HD equals no simsubs. Shaw hates simsubs more than its customers do and the longer they can avoid doing it, the better for them and viewers alike.

·
Super Moderator
17,201 Posts
I think CTV Winnipeg plans to flash-cut to OTA HD in August. Shaw isn't required to simsub HD until it is broadcast OTA.

101 - 120 of 668 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.