Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 668 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
HGTV HD is now up in Saskatoon.

From what I understand all HD customers will receive it as a free preview for a month.

Quoting 'mungar' from an earlier post:
"HGTV HD will be on Channel 231, and on a free preview from January 31st to February 28th.

It will be included in the $12 Grandfathered HD Plus Package, the $16 Full HD Plus Package, and the HD Education Theme package for $10. "

Also a Shaw CSR told me earlier today that it will be included for all 'Fully Loaded' customers after the free preview as well.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I believe it will be part of the $12 package as well as the new $16 package. Since it's part of the grandfathered $12 package then it should be in the existing Loaded package that customers already have.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Thanks Guru. Side note. Still says "This channel should be available shortly" on the screen here in Vancouvet at 9:30pm. Another forum member from Burnaby says he's receiving the channel just fine. Interesting. :)

Oh, I just remembered that I have Digital basic + HD Plus. Maybe that's why. No fully loaded here.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Its in the 12 dollar package now, maybe we will get it for 5 months, then Shaw will change its mind and say, no you were getting it in for a five month trial, the same thing they did with oasis. we were to assume it was in the 12 dollar package only to find out months down the road that it was a "trial"

·
Registered
7 Posts
HDTVD

Seems that I am not getting this (I'm in Surrey), have the digital and plus package (old $12.00 package), two doors down they have the fully loaded package and they get this channel (231).. but not me.. call Shaw and they didn't have a clue..sending out a tech in a couple of days.. what a waste of time, guess the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing at Shaw.. oh, well..

·
Registered
1 Posts
HGTV HD showed up yesterday in Kelowna. I have the grandfathered $12/mon HD Plus package as well. I'm not interested in pay $4/mon more for Oasis, its a good channel, but not that good.

I'm still waiting on ANY global tv station in HD, as well as CBC and CTV Vancouver in HD. Seems I only have CBC and CTV from Toronto here on the west coast, and no Global at all. Now that Shaw owns Canwest's assest, i'd like to see Global and Food HD channels. HGTV is a good step.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
@Fred: What does it say on channel 231 for you? If it says "subscription service" then its a packaging issue. If it says "One Moment Please" then it's likely a signal issue.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Is there a requirement to have tier 1 basic cable in order to get the HD version of HGTV? Here in Vancouver it is on tier one, but that channel is the only reason we get that tier. With the inclusion of HGTV in HD, I would love to get rid of tier 1 and save a few bucks a month.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The message is "One moment please, this channel should be available shortly Ref Code S0a00" , have this on both PVR's (Pace and Motorola) Menu what is on this channel is also shown .. is this problem because I have the grandfathered $12.00 package?
thanks..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Exact same issue with me. Grandfathered package, Shaw Digital Basic. Chatted with Shaw earlier today. Tried rebooting my box. Didn't work. CSR seemed to think it was an issue with the bandwidth that 231 and a few channels in the high 40's share. Couldn't test that because I don't subscribe to anything higher that channel 22 (Edmonton). Service call booked for Thursday, could be signal levels. I'll keep everyone up to date. Betcha it's something to do with the grandfathered package, though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Exact same issue with me. Grandfathered package, Shaw Digital Basic. Chatted with Shaw earlier today. Tried rebooting my box. Didn't work. CSR seemed to think it was an issue with the bandwidth that 231 and a few channels in the high 40's share. Couldn't test that because I don't subscribe to anything higher that channel 22 (Edmonton). Service call booked for Thursday, could be signal levels. I'll keep everyone up to date. Betcha it's something to do with the grandfathered package, though.
I spent a 1/2 an hour on the phone with Shaw tech support today and we came to the same conclusion. I'm on Digital Basic so I don't get channels 29 - 58. Most of these channels say "Not Authorized" when I tried to view them as they should but the ones on the same band as HGTV said "One moment please ...". The rep said that was because their signal wasn't strong enough to show they are not authorized (makes sense). I had a Shaw phone installed after I got rid of the channels so maybe this is the cause, alot of people haven't watched those channels in some time. For anyone else who is not getting HGTV see if you're getting channels 45 & 48, if you're on Digital Basic see if they say "One moment please..." instead of "Not Authorized".
Shaw was actually very good about it & I got an appointment Saturday morning. I also confirmed it's not the grandfathered package. He checked and the grandfathered HD Plus customers do get HGTV. It's also not a package issue as it's on free preview for everyone regardless & it's not connected in the system to the SD channel either. I'll post Saturday to let everyone know how it turned out.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Is there a requirement to have tier 1 basic cable in order to get the HD version of HGTV? Here in Vancouver it is on tier one, but that channel is the only reason we get that tier. With the inclusion of HGTV in HD, I would love to get rid of tier 1 and save a few bucks a month.
No, you don't need to have tier 1 to get HGTV HD. You do need to subscribe to HD Plus or HD Education though. I believe it is included in "all in" packages too. It is on free preview until Feb 28th so everyone should be getting it until then.

This is based on what I have read here, on shaw.ca and my personal experience of canceling tier 1, 2 and 3 some months ago.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
If it says "One Moment Please" this would likely indicate a potential signal issue. Any time I've seen the Sa000 code it almost always has been fixed by sending a tech out who have found things like poor signal, faulty patch cords and connectors that corrected the issue once repaired. I would recommend if you have the One Moment please message to contact shaw and troubleshoot and potentially have a service call booked to correct. As mentioned the channel is on a free preview right now so should be working for everyone.

·
Registered
510 Posts
As mentioned on the Shaw free preview thread, 3 multicultural channels will be added in the Vancouver/Lower Mainland area.

Star is launching 3 channels in this market featuring mandarin speaking programing, movies, videos, etc. These channels (Star Chinese Channel, Star movies & Star V) will be on a free preview from Feb 2nd to 17th in the Vancouver/lower mainland area.
I just checked my guide, and it looks like they will be located on channels 522, 523, and 524.

61 - 80 of 668 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.